Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK New software on its way

10-16-2021, 02:46 AM   #23
stuarttunstall
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I have no issue with speed limiters, unless on a track I have said for years all cars should be limited to 80 MPH ... you can legally do a MAX of 70 MPH in the UK depending on roads types "A", "B" and Motorways, so why should they make cars go faster.... just my opinion..

I also have no issue with being tracked or watched by cameras, do nothing wrong why worry.. more going on in the world to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 05:26 AM   #24
marksandygill
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320d xDrive F22 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarttunstall View Post
I have no issue with speed limiters, unless on a track I have said for years all cars should be limited to 80 MPH ... you can legally do a MAX of 70 MPH in the UK depending on roads types "A", "B" and Motorways, so why should they make cars go faster.... just my opinion..

I also have no issue with being tracked or watched by cameras, do nothing wrong why worry.. more going on in the world to worry about.
Id agree to a point, I never understand people who complain about getting caught speeding!

However 2 weeks ago on the A3 the speed limit was telling me I should be doing 40mph for a few miles, at the moment I can ignore it but in a years time the car will be slowing to 40mph on a dual carriage way!!
      10-16-2021, 03:16 PM   #25
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NthKent View Post
This was the software update where no warning was provided by BMW that it was about to ruin the sound of the exhaust of 2020 M340i models to retrospectively(!) satisfy latest noise EU noise regulations. The galling hing is that the U.K. is not even in the EU so why should we have to follow its nanny state laws?!
Quite. I'm not aligning here with any political position re. the pros and cons of Brexit. But I will say that thanks to your very helpful warnings elsewhere about this, NthKent, I am certain certainly not going to be downloading any new updates for the foreseeable future. (I'm even wary about sending mine in for a 'seasonal health check', in case the dealer decides to implement new software as standard procedure.)

For these updates to subject the 2020 40i's exhaust tone--after all, one of its standout features--to such backdoor interference (or, from what you say, blatant desecration!) is totally unacceptable. And as you say, it seems rather needless too, given that we no longer fall under the jurisdiction of EU noise regs. Then again, we have someone in No. 10 who's pretending with great piety to be an eco-activist, so we can expect plenty of bias and bluster directed against our offensively rowdy petrol machines over the next few years...

D

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 05:18 AM   #26
NthKent
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeebieJeebies View Post
1. Haven’t we left the EU?

2. UK police forces (not EU)

3. The last bit didn’t make sense!?!

I get the rant, do you use ‘Alexa’?, Google?, Apple or Android devices, Any search engines?, they’ll track you more than any BMW update/new car will, surely?
Despite us thankfully finally leaving the EU, we are still following a lot of its nanny state laws. U.K. police forces have already admitted to using the wretched EU e-Call tracking system legally built into every car since April 2018 in order to monitor people’s movement which is outrageous. Despite the EU doing its usual smoke and mirrors exercise re. e-Call saying it was to enable emergency services to find cars after an accident (hardly a problem in crowded and densely populated U.K.), the real reason is to covertly enable widespread road charging across Europe (plus, as already stated, even more surveillance by the authorities in addition to the huge and unjustified amount of CCTV surveillance already in force).

My final paragraph had one word missing (“…case…”) in error but I am sure most people would be able to get the gist of what I was stating.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 06:03 AM   #27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

If and when the police wanted to track my car so what? They can't just do it for fun and even then who cares unless people have something to hide. In which case I assume the same person only uses a basic Nokia burner phone on a daily basis otherwise guess what you can be tracked.

I do disagree with nanny interference with driving however, lane assist, speed limiting, noise reduction etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 07:14 PM   #28
HeebieJeebies
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 320d xdrive, G22M440i xdri

Quote:
Originally Posted by NthKent View Post

Despite us thankfully finally leaving the EU, we are still following a lot of its nanny state laws. U.K. police forces have already admitted to using the wretched EU e-Call tracking system legally built into every car since April 2018 in order to monitor people’s movement which is outrageous. Despite the EU doing its usual smoke and mirrors exercise re. e-Call saying it was to enable emergency services to find cars after an accident (hardly a problem in crowded and densely populated U.K.), the real reason is to covertly enable widespread road charging across Europe (plus, as already stated, even more surveillance by the authorities in addition to the huge and unjustified amount of CCTV surveillance already in force).

My final paragraph had one word missing (“…case…”) in error but I am sure most people would be able to get the gist of what I was stating.
Car forum mate, go onto eurant.com.you.tube.com if your disappointed in your “win”
Appreciate 8