Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Looking to Order New M340i

10-18-2021, 11:24 AM   #1
RustyNail19
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Looking to Order New M340i

New member here. I received an M340i about a year ago while getting service done and loved it. Since then I have went back and forth on trading in my 2013 328i for an M340i.

I am finally ready to pull the trigger, and am really disappointed that the parking assist and mainly, the adaptive suspension options are not available. I'm pretty particular about the options I want, so will almost certainly have to custom order. I've read through threads and I know this has been debated endlessly, but can anyone who has driven both give helpful feedback? Trying to decide whether to hold off or just get the standard suspension. Also, does a rear camera come standard even without the parking assist option?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 12:01 PM   #2
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Rear Camera is standard. I believe parking sensors are as well. The Parking Assist gives you 360 degree view, self-parking ability, and the ability for the car to stop itself if it senses you're going to hit something while moving at low speed. It's definitely worth it if you can get it.

I wish I had gotten the adaptive suspension. The normal M sport suspension is fine, but I do wish it was a bit smoother. Some of this can be overcome by getting non runflat tires, but not all of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 12:14 PM   #3
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

I haven't driven the G2X platform with the adaptive suspension but I must say that overall, the standard M sport suspension in the G20 M340i will ride more smooth than your F30. While, still handling fairly well. The G20 platform just feels far more sorted than the F30. Not saying that it feels closer to the E90 because it's a much bigger car but maybe closer to an E60 or dare I say, an E39.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 06:54 PM   #4
jg4c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNail19 View Post
New member here. I received an M340i about a year ago while getting service done and loved it. Since then I have went back and forth on trading in my 2013 328i for an M340i.

I am finally ready to pull the trigger, and am really disappointed that the parking assist and mainly, the adaptive suspension options are not available. I'm pretty particular about the options I want, so will almost certainly have to custom order. I've read through threads and I know this has been debated endlessly, but can anyone who has driven both give helpful feedback? Trying to decide whether to hold off or just get the standard suspension. Also, does a rear camera come standard even without the parking assist option?
I test drove the car 4 times all with the standard non adaptive suspension. I was shocked at how much I loved how the suspension handled everything from NYC streets,
to the highways upstate NY. All on the non adaptive suspension, AND run flats. Of course I ordered the adaptive, only to get an even firmer suspension setting in S+.

If BMW had never offered the adaptive as an option, I wouldn't have cared less.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 07:20 PM   #5
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:

Did the G20 M340i loaner have non-adaptive suspension? And is your 2013 328i with standard non-M suspension?

I went from a 2013 328i non-M to a 2021 330i non-M.

The key suspension difference is that G20(both 330i and M340i) now has lift related dampers(damp on front rebound and rear compression). The net effect is that the bouncy F30 ride(pre LCI or LCI) is now much attenuated in G20.

I don't have seat time with G20 adaptive suspension. You may want to test drive G20 M340i(standard with M sport suspension) with and without adaptive to check them out.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 09:26 PM   #6
RustyNail19
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg4c View Post
I test drove the car 4 times all with the standard non adaptive suspension. I was shocked at how much I loved how the suspension handled everything from NYC streets,
to the highways upstate NY. All on the non adaptive suspension, AND run flats. Of course I ordered the adaptive, only to get an even firmer suspension setting in S+.

If BMW had never offered the adaptive as an option, I wouldn't have cared less.
That’s good to hear. How much of a difference do you notice? Are you glad you went with the adaptive?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 09:27 PM   #7
RustyNail19
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Did the G20 M340i loaner have non-adaptive suspension? And is your 2013 328i with standard non-M suspension?

The key suspension difference is that G20(both 330i and M340i) now has lift related dampers(damp on front rebound and rear compression). The net effect is that the bouncy F30 ride(pre LCI or LCI) is now much attenuated in G20.

I don't have seat time with G20 adaptive suspension. You may want to test drive G20 M340i(standard with M sport suspension) with and without adaptive to check them out.
Unfortunately I’m not sure if it did or not. If I could find that out it would solve my dilemma.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 10:19 PM   #8
jg4c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i XDrive

Quote:
That’s good to hear. How much of a difference do you notice? Are you glad you went with the adaptive?
I couldn’t tell you, yet. I don’t have my car.
It’s at the port in Germany.

It comes down to this for me. If available, you get it. Which unfortunately it’s not.
No one says I got adaptive, and wish I went non adaptive.
On the other hand, many like the non adaptive like I did on the test drives.

Out of all my options, if one had to be dropped, that would be the one
I want dropped.

Suspension feel is very subjective. Obviously try to test drive both.
I couldn’t find one with adaptive when I tested.

No one knows when, or if it will come back.
Could be a long while.

If you need or want the car as soon as possible, try and find a dealer that has one in production or in transit, and snag it, cause the wait for an ordered car is brutal.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 11:16 PM   #9
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg4c View Post
If you need or want the car as soon as possible, try and find a dealer that has one in production or in transit, and snag it, cause the wait for an ordered car is brutal.
Words of wisdom.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 11:17 PM   #10
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately I’m not sure if it did or not. If I could find that out it would solve my dilemma.
If u still have paper for that M340i loaner, do check for any VIN listed. IF VIN is available, u can check online for option list.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 01:50 AM   #11
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Quote:

I'd definitely second this advice to test drive both models, if you can get hold of them. I've driven G20s with and without adaptive suspension, and while the standard passive set up is never agitative or intolerably firm, on long journeys I really appreciate being able to switch to Comfort and allow the whole thing to relax (especially on those motorways that haven't been resurfaced for a few years!). Thanks to the xdrive and additional weight, the 40i does feel more 'planted' on the road in comparison to the somewhat more impish 330, which in MSport guise could be a bit fidgety at lower speeds. Ultimately it depends on what your local roads are like. But it may be worth waiting till the supply issues resolve in the New Year so that you can spec the adaptive option--that would be my two cents'.

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 07:46 AM   #12
RustyNail19
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXJ View Post
I'd definitely second this advice to test drive both models, if you can get hold of them. I've driven G20s with and without adaptive suspension, and while the standard passive set up is never agitative or intolerably firm, on long journeys I really appreciate being able to switch to Comfort and allow the whole thing to relax (especially on those motorways that haven't been resurfaced for a few years!). Thanks to the xdrive and additional weight, the 40i does feel more 'planted' on the road in comparison to the somewhat more impish 330, which in MSport guise could be a bit fidgety at lower speeds. Ultimately it depends on what your local roads are like. But it may be worth waiting till the supply issues resolve in the New Year so that you can spec the adaptive option--that would be my two cents'.
Appreciate the advice from everyone. Will try and pull up the options from the car I drove. Ideally I could test drive both. Unfortunately it’s hard to find any in stock around me.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 12:55 PM   #13
QZS58
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3

I can confirm that the ride quality of my M340i is superior to my full loaded F36. It's definitely good to have the adaptive suspension to choose different stiffness, but I went non-adaptive as I am planning to tune the car and upgrade to KW in the future. For daily use, I am very happy with the current setup.
Appreciate 0