Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions I'm interested in a G20 330i with M-Sport Package

10-18-2021, 01:17 AM   #1
vedant
Private
Rep
Drives: '22 BMW 330i M-Sport

I'm interested in a G20 330i with M-Sport Package

It would be great to hear from owners. What made you decide on this car and what else did you consider? What are likes / dislikes? I am pretty set on RWD, but is there any reason to consider xDrive if I live in sunny climate year-round? Any recommended utility racks and tunes, namely for the exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 08:18 AM   #2
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Good choice OP

When went looking for our car we looked at the usual competion ie Jag XE, Audi A4 & Merc Class.The below relates to the gen of competion that was out at the time the 3er was launched

The Jag tbh edged the 3 in terms of sheer driving fun but the cabin & tech was way more dated & reliability was reportedly way off what I'd want & so even though I have a bit of a soft spot for Jaguar it was quickly ruled out.

The A4 is a nice car but I did not like the driving experience compared to the 3er, although Mrs O LOVED it!(the light steering mostly) & it was a little sparse in spec. We were offered an absolute cracking deal on it that no one else could get near to but i convinced the other half that she would get bored of it after 3yrs and as were planned to keep whatever we bought for much longer this would be less than ideal.

The Merc was Mrs' O's idea and despite me telling her that i thought she wouldn't like it she wanted to give it ago so we went to look at one and it ticked most boxes apart from one crucial one and that was the drive. It was too soft & stodgy and the gearbox was slow to react & even though I'd say we had the best overall dealer experience the car ultimately didn't do it for us.

Likes? Pretty much everything, the handling is excellent, the fit and finish is, i believe to be top of it's class. Tech is good....if a little buggy at times. The engine suprised me in it having a decent amount of shove and response, in Sport & Sport Plus, quick to react & fuel economy is, like most modern engines tbf, great. It looks really good from stock but imo, even better when you MP up, especially so with sprinkling of carbon

Dislikes? Our car has at times refused to install the OTA's which has resulted in 2 trips to the dealer. The alternator recently gave up the ghost but that was replaced under warranty very quickly. Although BSM looks the best of all colours when polished it waterspots really easily and it drives me crazy at times I wished the B48 had just a little more drama to it, like if it sounded like it did from cold all the time, I'd be happy. The fake sound played in the cabin, is ok-ish until you get to the upper revs and then, again imo, you can really tell the inauthenticity of it.
Moot point here but i really wished the individual shadow lights were available when car was made

Xdrive v standard? Really you do not need xdrive. In your climes RWD is more than suitable and I'd just do what I have done if you think your ever going to need that extra grip and go for all seasons or winter tyres as spares( I swap mine around every six months)

As for tunes and exhaust's there are loads of threads on each and I'd suggest using the facility for ideas and experiences.

Last edited by OM3RTA; 10-18-2021 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 2
vedant31.50
      10-18-2021, 11:33 AM   #3
Monkey5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '21 230 , '19 330 msport

I've had my 330i m-sport for 2 years now and really enjoy it. I have pretty much every option in the book. The one I enjoy the most is the track pack and adaptive suspension, well worth the money.
On long trips I usually average 40mpg...that's as good as a honda civic.
Negatives...I just wish the seats were as comfortable as the f30, and the HK had the same power and the new 4 series.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 11:43 AM   #4
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

I bought a 2021 330i in Q2 when Tesla had no Model 3 for me.

Among BMWs, I also test drove 228i GC, 330e, M340i at dealer, and picked 330i for RWD and 40+mpg and light(er) handling around corners.

I was going to test drive Accord/Civic but turned around due to ADM.

I also test drove 2021 C-class sport, the handling was not bad but the circular vents did not inspire me.

I didn't test drive Audi A4 since new model will be out MY2023.

This G20 330i is a nostalgic throwback to the E39 days of comfort and competence, so do test drive it to find out if it fits u.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 01:00 PM   #5
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Had a 3IS before and although the car looked great on the exterior and the interior was very comfortable, giving you the feeling of sitting in a jet cockpit, the car was slow and tech was outdated.

Only other brand I considered was BMW and Alfa. The Alfa has numerous issues as I seen on the forums and decided to pass on it, and test drove the 330i. Was sold on it soon as I test drove it. The interior is a bit bigger than the Lexus I had, but the car is stylish, handles extremely well, a butter smooth transmission and enough power for your daily driving along with all the latest tech and a nice HUD.

They also had good lease deals in 2019 when I got it, so I ended up dealing with a broker and got the specs I wanted. I'd suggest to go test drive one and see if it's what you like.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 06:48 PM   #6
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedant View Post
It would be great to hear from owners. What made you decide on this car and what else did you consider? What are likes / dislikes? I am pretty set on RWD, but is there any reason to consider xDrive if I live in sunny climate year-round? Any recommended utility racks and tunes, namely for the exhaust?
I live in greater Phoenix and I opted for RWD. Unless you are going to be spending time in mountains or the like, RWD should not only be fine but preferable (IMHO).
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 10:54 AM   #7
arentz07
drives cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 IS 500, '23 X3

Garage List
I would say the 330i M Sport is a must-drive. Having come from a 3rd-gen Lexus IS, I can say the G20 feels a lot more modern inside and drives more modern, too. You may want to actually sit in the car and drive on some imperfect roads, however, since I would say the suspension is on the firm side. It's definitely livable however.

Granted, between my wife and myself, we still have an IS 350 as well as the 330i, so take that for whatever it's worth. Both cars have their pros and cons thanks to the 2021 update on the IS. But as far as the BMW, I am glad we went with the M Sport - in fact I have a hard time imagining it without it. The car looks far better for it, and I love the steering wheel and seats from the M Sport package.

2023 BMW X3 | Phytonic Blue | Black Vernasca Leather | Dark Wood Trim
2023 Lexus IS 500 F Sport Performance | Infrared | Black NuLuxe
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 03:14 PM   #8
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arentz07 View Post
I would say the 330i M Sport is a must-drive. Having come from a 3rd-gen Lexus IS, I can say the G20 feels a lot more modern inside and drives more modern, too. You may want to actually sit in the car and drive on some imperfect roads, however, since I would say the suspension is on the firm side. It's definitely livable however.

Granted, between my wife and myself, we still have an IS 350 as well as the 330i, so take that for whatever it's worth. Both cars have their pros and cons thanks to the 2021 update on the IS. But as far as the BMW, I am glad we went with the M Sport - in fact I have a hard time imagining it without it. The car looks far better for it, and I love the steering wheel and seats from the M Sport package.
Ahhh look who came to the dark side from CL! Good to see you here, you may recognize a few names here as well from there lol.

You know the 330i > IS lol, no questions about it. There's also a thread on the IS 500 vs the m340i here you may be interested in.
Appreciate 1
arentz07229.50
      10-19-2021, 03:35 PM   #9
arentz07
drives cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 IS 500, '23 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Ahhh look who came to the dark side from CL! Good to see you here, you may recognize a few names here as well from there lol.

You know the 330i > IS lol, no questions about it. There's also a thread on the IS 500 vs the m340i here you may be interested in.
Yep, I have defected. Well, more like playing for both teams. I still have the Lexus after all. Technically, the 330i is the wife's car. But, I can admit she has good taste.

Technically, yes, the 330i is on another level in many areas compared to the IS 350. I think there's actually no way I would have chosen the IS 350 if I hadn't owned an IS before. The test drive leans heavily in the 330i's favor. It has a real wow-factor to how it gets up and goes and how it handles. The Lexus is happy to just lope along at low RPM and doesn't really wake up until you push it. I kinda like that aspect of it, though, so it's a matter of preference there. Plus I just like having the V-6 and the great-sounding Mark Levinson sound system. And it's not that much slower than the 330i, it's just... a different power band. A power band that is objectively worse for daily-driving, but still!

In all seriousness I doubt most people would choose the IS unless they are Lexus fans or just simply like the looks or the interior of the IS better. Even then, it's hard to ignore the 330i's advantages of acceleration and fuel economy - in fact, fuel economy is where it really beats the Lexus. We've been getting about 30 MPG average in the 330i in mixed driving, whereas we've managed only about 20 in the IS 350. Though, I will say I drive the IS pretty spiritedly a lot of the time and don't know how my wife usually drives - but I suspect it's more relaxed than I would. So anyway, yeah just pick the 330i unless you have a soft spot for the IS or Lexus for some reason (which I did, admittedly - doesn't mean I don't love the car though).

2023 BMW X3 | Phytonic Blue | Black Vernasca Leather | Dark Wood Trim
2023 Lexus IS 500 F Sport Performance | Infrared | Black NuLuxe
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 03:56 PM   #10
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yep, I have defected. Well, more like playing for both teams. I still have the Lexus after all. Technically, the 330i is the wife's car. But, I can admit she has good taste.

Technically, yes, the 330i is on another level in many areas compared to the IS 350. I think there's actually no way I would have chosen the IS 350 if I hadn't owned an IS before. The test drive leans heavily in the 330i's favor. It has a real wow-factor to how it gets up and goes and how it handles. The Lexus is happy to just lope along at low RPM and doesn't really wake up until you push it. I kinda like that aspect of it, though, so it's a matter of preference there. Plus I just like having the V-6 and the great-sounding Mark Levinson sound system. And it's not that much slower than the 330i, it's just... a different power band. A power band that is objectively worse for daily-driving, but still!

In all seriousness I doubt most people would choose the IS unless they are Lexus fans or just simply like the looks or the interior of the IS better. Even then, it's hard to ignore the 330i's advantages of acceleration and fuel economy - in fact, fuel economy is where it really beats the Lexus. We've been getting about 30 MPG average in the 330i in mixed driving, whereas we've managed only about 20 in the IS 350. Though, I will say I drive the IS pretty spiritedly a lot of the time and don't know how my wife usually drives - but I suspect it's more relaxed than I would. So anyway, yeah just pick the 330i unless you have a soft spot for the IS or Lexus for some reason (which I did, admittedly - doesn't mean I don't love the car though).
Thanks for candid side-by-side comparison of 330i vs IS350i, in particular highlighting the difference of BMW vs. Lexus drivetrain responses.

As far as mpg, my 330i's trip data since factory is around 32mpg, but I routinely got 40+mpg hwy, e.g. last weekend's drive to SF hit 46.5mpg@80-90mph for 40+ miles of drive. I haven't hit 50mpg hwy yet.

The G20 really a great nostalgic throwback to the E39 days of comfort and competence. The 330i also has a light head at corners, and is fun to roll into a curve/cloverleaf and rotate out at speed.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 04:44 PM   #11
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post

Howdy and welcome aboard, greetings worth repeating from my buddy premier above. 3IS owners always get a warm welcome from those of us who had one.

Don't bother venturing into that recent IS500 thread, it's not something we are proud of. It turned to crap so don't even bother wasting your time.

Cheers
arentz07229.50
      10-19-2021, 08:01 PM   #12
WXdrivefun
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedant View Post
I also came from a previous generation Mazda 3 model and jumped to 2019 BMW 330 MSport Xdrive(Xdrive only available in Canada, no RWD) M-Sport a must as most people would say, only way IMO to enjoy BMWs

This is my first G20 BMW I wanted all the bells and whistles tech as I waited for like 4 years until the F30 discontinued production, the Mercedes C300 was dated, BMW 330 F30 dated, audis didn't fit well with me.

Likes: Modern driving dynamics, new tech, very polished and refined design more of an evolution with the laser headlights and has semi autonomous driving especially during stop-and go traffic. LSD optional on 330i with the track handling package for US. You can option from the factory with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires staggered setup (Best rated summer performance tires). New steering rack, better than outgoing F30!

BMW App can initiate climate control (in summer and cold winter months)

Dislikes: No option for M-Sport seatbelts, and cost extra for M-Performance exhaust, and M-performance parts can not be installed from factory, only at dealership (No port install in Canada, unlike US), BMW App is laggy, and BMW remote 360 camera is slow

Believe with the Xdrive is faster 0-60mph (5.3s vs 5.6s without xdrive)[ found here: https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?t=1540476] and can get the better distribution of torque. But I believe RWD may have better back to classic feel.

My Rant here:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1608285
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:16 PM   #13
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXdrivefun View Post
Likes: Modern driving dynamics, new tech, very polished and refined design more of an evolution with the laser headlights and has semi autonomous driving especially during stop-and go traffic. LSD optional on 330i with the track handling package for US. You can option from the factory with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires staggered setup (Best rated summer performance tires). New steering rack, better than outgoing F30!
Do u have technical spec/link that talks about G20 330i vs. F30 328i/330i steering rack? What are the improvements of this new rack?

Also some posters say pre-LCI G20 M340i steering rack is same as F30 340i.

I have yet to find any reference that confirms the above 2.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 09:00 PM   #14
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Do u have technical spec/link that talks about G20 330i vs. F30 328i/330i steering rack? What are the improvements of this new rack?

https://youtu.be/-WsDHK9sly8
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2021, 12:10 AM   #15
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WickedE90 View Post
Thanks for the clip.

Although the clip does not examine the steering rack in particular, it does mention M sport comes with variable sport steering. My car does not have M sport, but standard steering is precise enough for my usage.

The rest of the clip is pretty good examining lift related dampers and the M rear diff.

Last edited by bavarianride; 10-20-2021 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 12:45 AM   #16
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I strongly considered the 330 M Sport but ultimately decided against it, opting for Alfa.

Things I think the Bimmer does well: great powertrain, feels almost naturally aspirated for a 4 cyl. Good handling car, reasonably weighty steering, flawless build quality, modern feeling interior/tech, piped in? engine noise sounded decent, BMWs are generally reliable for first 40k miles, reliable dealership network.

Things that dissuaded me from the Bimmer: high price, the car feels really big, steering is mostly numb, handling not nearly as lively and playful as Alfa Romeo, 3-series being incredibly common cars, M sport models almost exclusively being optioned at dealers with fake leather.

I'll get flak here for this but I think you should take a strong look at Alfa Romeo. It is a beautiful and distinctive looking car with a unique driver character more in line with BMW's of yore. The 3-series is a great car, but it was not worth the extra thousands over the Alfa to me. Given how common BMWs are in today's world, I'd really only drive a BMW if it were from the M division or at least an M340. Those cars feel more bespoke and special.

A lot of this is just my personal bias though. The G20 is a better car which is why it costs more. I would have been happy with it.

Last edited by Germanauto; 10-20-2021 at 12:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 01:23 AM   #17
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

What deal did u get for your Giulia Ti? And what quotes u got on 330i M sport?

My 2021 330i was purchased $6.5k off MSRP, while M340i owners here posted $9k MSRP.

Assuming those discounts were available to u, would u have picked G20 instead?

BTW your comment of 3-series being common is valid My building at work has 4 Alpine White G20 330i non-M including mine. When we line up exiting the parking lot, w give each other thumbs up.

Also, in my hood there are 3 red F30 328i, and one black sapphire F30 330i. Mine was the 5th F30(jet black). Plus there are 2 other G20 330i's(mineral white and black sapphire).

There is no Giulia at work nor close to home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I strongly considered the 330 M Sport but ultimately decided against it, opting for Alfa.

Things I think the Bimmer does well: great powertrain, feels almost naturally aspirated for a 4 cyl. Good handling car, reasonably weighty steering, flawless build quality, modern feeling interior/tech, piped in? engine noise sounded decent, BMWs are generally reliable for first 40k miles, reliable dealership network.

Things that dissuaded me from the Bimmer: high price, the car feels really big, steering is mostly numb, handling not nearly as lively and playful as Alfa Romeo, 3-series being incredibly common cars, M sport models almost exclusively being optioned at dealers with fake leather.

I'll get flak here for this but I think you should take a strong look at Alfa Romeo. It is a beautiful and distinctive looking car with a unique driver character more in line with BMW's of yore. The 3-series is a great car, but it was not worth the extra thousands over the Alfa to me. Given how common BMWs are in today's world, I'd really only drive a BMW if it were from the M division or at least an M340. Those cars feel more bespoke and special.

A lot of this is just my personal bias though. The G20 is a better car which is why it costs more. I would have been happy with it.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      10-20-2021, 01:37 AM   #18
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:

My 2021 330i was purchased $6.5k off MSRP, while M340i owners here posted $9k MSRP.

$500/mo with $0 DAS. MSRP roughly $48k. I was picky, only wanted Red with brown leather. More mundane color schemes were cheaper.

On 330 M sport best offer I was getting was $560/mo + $3000 DAS. Same MSRP. Again I was picky, only wanted Portimao Blue.

This was in June of this year so not a good time to get a new car. But the Alfa deal was pretty strong. Of the 6-7 dealers in my region, only this one dealer was offering these numbers. I did the whole Leasehackr thing so negotiated pretty hard with BMW and Alfa.

And yeah Alfa is certainly very rare in comparison. I've read the overwhelming majority of their sales are just in three markets: LA, NYC, and Miami. If I got the same offer on both I'd still opt for the Alfa. It comes down to three things: unique driving experience (go-kart handling, insanely quick steering), uniqueness factor, and distinctly Italian vibe of the car. I figured I had the rest of my life to drive a BMW or Porsche, so may as well go Italian for a bit. Italian cars, for all their flaws, certainly have a lot of passion and national pride baked into them.

Last edited by Germanauto; 10-20-2021 at 01:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 02:56 AM   #19
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Yeah your AR lease is almost 1.04% MSRP all-in per month(36-month, right?), so that is a good deal. And that 330i M quote is 1.3% MSRP, it surely is not the heydays of BMW lease subsidies.

I test drove Giulia around 2017-2018 and was pleasantly surprised vs. F30, and it was on my to-do list to revisit.

But G20 test drives early this year reviewed that BMW was adamant to rekindle its past glories of superb engine + brilliant transmission + balanced chassis, so I had to go with that. (and a great price didn't hurt neither).

Quote:
$500/mo with $0 DAS. MSRP roughly $48k. I was picky, only wanted Red with brown leather. More mundane color schemes were cheaper.

On 330 M sport best offer I was getting was $560/mo + $3000 DAS. Same MSRP. Again I was picky, only wanted Portimao Blue.

This was in June of this year so not a good time to get a new car. But the Alfa deal was pretty strong. Of the 6-7 dealers in my region, only this one dealer was offering these numbers. I did the whole Leasehackr thing so negotiated pretty hard with BMW and Alfa.

And yeah Alfa is certainly very rare in comparison. I've read the overwhelming majority of their sales are just in three markets: LA, NYC, and Miami. If I got the same offer on both I'd still opt for the Alfa. It comes down to three things: unique driving experience (go-kart handling, insanely quick steering), uniqueness factor, and distinctly Italian vibe of the car. I figured I had the rest of my life to drive a BMW or Porsche, so may as well go Italian for a bit. Italian cars, for all their flaws, certainly have a lot of passion and national pride baked into them.

Last edited by bavarianride; 10-20-2021 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      10-20-2021, 12:04 PM   #20
GrannyShiftG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i, G80 M3 6MT

Likes: steering feel greatly improved over f30. new tech, amazing idrive. perfect transmission and lightning quick shifts. INSANE fuel economy (over 50 mpg on highway) in eco pro. smooth engine, excellent differences between drive modes. car looks amazing (subjective) and I love the body lines. full digital cockpit and android auto integration.

dislikes: too slow, big regret that I didn't shell out the extra cash for the m340i. harsh ride, swap out the RFTs for real tires but still it's pretty harsh. interior is kinda rattley.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 01:05 PM   #21
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I remember back in 2019 when I was looking at the Alfa Giulia Ti Sport which was around 50k was like 400-450 a month to lease. Had good deals then but now… well not so much.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 02:03 PM   #22
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

If only alfa had something in the middle like M340i, too bad because I wouldn't mind sampling one. However, at this stage, I don't want a 2.0T, the 3IS left me with disdain for 4 cycle turbos and the quad is more than I can reasonably spend. Especially considering the price point of an M2C.