Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Why M340i over S4?

10-19-2021, 05:32 PM   #23
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Unfortunately it won't matter much going forward once everything is electric. It's going to come down to who can make the best design and coolest interior. The future sucks.
If we are only looking at those metrics, it sure won't be Tesla lol. I am so glad other manufacturers are entering the EV space.

PS. You may have to finally commit to an ICE car lol, soon you'll run out of replacements lol.
stein_325i25083.00
      10-19-2021, 05:58 PM   #24
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Unfortunately it won't matter much going forward once everything is electric. It's going to come down to who can make the best design and coolest interior. The future sucks.
I would say each automaker is horning its new set of EV DNAs, or eDNAs.

As far as future goes, it is unclear how long ICE DNAs need to stay, as honestly there is not enough batteries(that are light enough, dense enough, safe enough .... etc, etc) and EV infrastructures for decades to come.

One interesting idea is synthetic fuel, i.e. carbon is recaptured with renewable energy, and resynthesized into fuel with zero carbon footprint, and zero reinvestment in pipeline and Costco gas pumps.
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5286.50
      10-19-2021, 06:23 PM   #25
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

I'll take an Audi RS e-tron GT please.
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5286.50
      10-19-2021, 06:51 PM   #26
BIMthereRunFlat
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
So the song should no longer be; 'The future's so bright I gotta wear shades.'

but instead; 'The future's such shit I gotta wear wellingtons!'
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5286.50
      10-19-2021, 06:51 PM   #27
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Wow 5000lb with that much power, and no 1-paddle driving(regenerative braking no enough).

"Hauling these Audis down from speed are 14.2-inch front brake rotors on the regular GT and 16.1-inch tungsten carbide-coated units on the RS. Should that not be enough, the RS offers 16.5-inch carbon-ceramic jobs up front. Strong and fade-free, a couple of downhill sections in the canyons required a harder push on the brake pedal, a reminder that quickly decelerating 5000 pounds requires a lot of force."

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...tron-gt-drive/
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 06:52 PM   #28
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
If we are only looking at those metrics, it sure won't be Tesla lol. I am so glad other manufacturers are entering the EV space.

PS. You may have to finally commit to an ICE car lol, soon you'll run out of replacements lol.
Sad to admit but this next RS5 will probably be my last ICE car...then I'll have to turn start turning over EV's every year lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
I would say each automaker is horning its new set of EV DNAs, or eDNAs.

As far as future goes, it is unclear how long ICE DNAs need to stay, as honestly there is not enough batteries(that are light enough, dense enough, safe enough .... etc, etc) and EV infrastructures for decades to come.

One interesting idea is synthetic fuel, i.e. carbon is recaptured with renewable energy, and resynthesized into fuel with zero carbon footprint, and zero reinvestment in pipeline and Costco gas pumps.
I'm sure there will be some differences between manufacturers but in my opinion the engine (ice) is the heart and soul of most brands. Anything new in the EV space will so easily be replicated the moment someone does something interesting (is it going to come down to what company can hire the best composer to create the "soundtrack"?). What will the enthusiasts look at modding? The Tesla forums are so boring...endless threads about what tint to get, and wheels. Nothing interesting or anything that makes anyone's ride unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Out of any EV currently for sale, I'm with you. That or the Taycan. I wouldn't even consider anything else right now.
      10-19-2021, 07:26 PM   #29
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure there will be some differences between manufacturers but in my opinion the engine (ice) is the heart and soul of most brands. Anything new in the EV space will so easily be replicated the moment someone does something interesting (is it going to come down to what company can hire the best composer to create the "soundtrack"?). What will the enthusiasts look at modding? The Tesla forums are so boring...endless threads about what tint to get, and wheels. Nothing interesting or anything that makes anyone's ride unique.
I tend to agree that EV(aka computers on wheels) modding would be hard as so much of the car is under computer control.

In a way, Teslas/most EVs are sold as sealed consumer products like smart phones and laptops. Whether that is progress or not is up to interpretation ....
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5286.50
      10-20-2021, 12:35 AM   #30
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
In a way, Teslas/most EVs are sold as sealed consumer products like smart phones and laptops. Whether that is progress or not is up to interpretation ....
Progress towards being sterile. No thanks.
Appreciate 2
Bobh5952.00
EXE462100.00