Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Has anyone done the exhaust mod flap?

08-16-2021, 09:10 AM   #89
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbrad22 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but BimmerLink should have the option to open the flap? It does for my e82
Bimmerlink does have the option to keep the valves open, and it will stay open until you go back and switch it back to auto. It also has the feature to turn off the active sound, so no more fake engine noise playing from the speakers.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2021, 04:50 PM   #90
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G22b58 View Post
My M440i has the Engine Sound menu available from factory (SW 3.2021).
My selection is remembered.
I notice that in "Sporty" setting the exhaust flap opens after 1/2 a minute (at idle). In Balanced it stays closed at idle.
See this thread

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...=Exhaust+valve

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 02:43 AM   #91
VICG20M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
Quote:
I notice that in "Sporty" setting the exhaust flap opens after 1/2 a minute (at idle). In Balanced it stays closed at idle.
See this thread

I did it, so far it's okay but I haven't looked under there to see if anything has melted off.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 02:18 PM   #92
liuaar
Private
Rep
Drives: m340i

I did this when i first got the car then i got the awe exhaust which has no valves xD
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 08:40 AM   #93
Paul Moran
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemtexGT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemtexGT View Post
I just removed the spring instead of the connector so that the motor is still connected.
Was it difficult to remove the spring? I noticed you used a metal wire wrapped around the exhaust pipe and had aligned it with the groove in the flap to lock it in open position. Looks like something I'd like to test too, instead on disconnecting the electrical connector.
Not at all, did it in 5 minutes. I had some miniature pliers and came out like a charm.

Although, I think the tricky part is gonna come when you want to put it back, but with some patience and being gentle, shouldn't be rocket science.
I ordered a dummy flap actuator for the exhaust flap cable from emiautos.eu. It clips onto the end of the cable. I saw it on another Bimmerpost thread. I haven't received it yet. Someone said it has a capacitor or something like that in it. Maybe stops it from showing a soft code. Apparently your BMW dealer can also get you one as it's a genuine BMW part. If you are looking for the part on their webpage type in the product number not the name. 18302411427
Attached Images

04-19-2022, 04:58 PM   #94
Paul Moran
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis218 View Post
Is the exhaust mod flap from the F30 generation still possible? Where you unplug the connector to keep the flap open permanently.
I disconnected my M340i exhaust flap in the open position and also deleted the fake sound coming from the speakers by downloading the bimmercode app and buying an OBD scan tool to plug into the car down on the left hand side, near where the drivers legs go. The OBD scan tool connects to bimmercode and you can delete the speakers from producing the fake engine sound, plus a lot of other changes. On cold start up is sounds loud like a real sports car. The car now sounds just awesome. It’s the only way to go. It’s a head turner without producing too much annoying noise and it doesn’t whine when driving on the motorway [highway] I’m delighted I did these mods. Take the leap
      04-19-2022, 05:00 PM   #95
Paul Moran
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by camilowsky View Post
Can anyone confirm that exhaust flaps can be left open, connector disconnected and it does not throw a code. Is exhaust louder?
No it doesn’t throw a code. It’s a. Must mod
      04-19-2022, 05:11 PM   #96
Paul Moran
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant Skinner View Post
Silly question but what difference is this over putting your car in sport mode or individual (if all you want is the sound)?
It sounds like its in sports mode when in comfort mode without the extra fuel consumption of constantly running the car in sports mode. It’s a must mod
      04-19-2022, 05:27 PM   #97
Paul Moran
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by john!smith View Post
i dont understand the advantage of deplugging.
isnt it the same when i press sports mode? the valve opens when i press sport mode and i have the same? or is the flap in sport not always open?!

the only thing i understand is... when i deplug... i have the valve open in comfort mode. and i can not close by button anymore?! so it is in every mode same sound.
You ALMOST have the full sports mode sound but in comfort mode where you will save fuel over running in sports mode. Jump in, it sounds awesome and doesn’t put out a whining sound on the motorway [highway] Cold start up is wild and even warm start up gives a little rev grunt that turns heads. All in all its not intrusive
      04-19-2022, 05:33 PM   #98
Paul Moran
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednose_M340i View Post
I am still happy with the sound of the exhaust .
No loss in fuel economy and no errors.

I live in Belgium, but I guess it's the same as in the UK
I too have my M340i two months and did the exhaust delete in open position and deleted the fake speaker engine sound. Having driven seven and a half hours from Alicante to Bilbao Spain and back. I think the exhaust sound has gotten a little louder. It sounds great. Before I did these mods I really liked my car but now I’m in love with the sexy beast
      04-19-2022, 05:42 PM   #99
Paul Moran
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by az-bimmer View Post
Has anyone done this on a 2021 model? I heard the never model doesn't sound aggressive as the 2020 model.
I have a 2021 but it was delivered in 2022. The exhaust delete mod is the only way to go if you want the car to sound like a sports sedan should. It’s loud but cool at cold start and gives a slight rev grunt on warm start up. I also deleted the fake sound coming from the speakers. The car now sounds awesome and turns heads without being intrusive to the driver and it doesn’t whine at motorway [highway] driving speeds. It’s a must mod
      04-19-2022, 06:24 PM   #100
chrish.22
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Just installed the same part as paul on a 2020 m340i!

Sound level definitely increased, especially, obviously, on cold starts. There's more of a deeper/"bass-like" growl to it and you can hear the exhaust slightly more. It's not significant, but you'll notice a difference!

Super cheap, quick, and very easy! Like I said, the sound level only increased slightly, but it's enough to make you smile that much more when you're just cruising around in comfort mode!
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2022, 11:25 AM   #101
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

How do you disable the fake engine noise?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 12:18 PM   #102
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
Use bimmercode or something similar.

I did mine last week. I do like the sound but it's definitely not as loud as I'd like.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 07:17 PM   #103
R2i3a
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 300zxtt, Q50tt, X3tt, F-250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Moran View Post
I too have my M340i two months and did the exhaust delete in open position and deleted the fake speaker engine sound. Having driven seven and a half hours from Alicante to Bilbao Spain and back. I think the exhaust sound has gotten a little louder. It sounds great. Before I did these mods I really liked my car but now I’m in love with the sexy beast
Alicante!!
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2022, 07:19 PM   #104
R2i3a
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 300zxtt, Q50tt, X3tt, F-250

Just an opinion, I don’t think electrical tape will hold up good enough outdoors on its own
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 02:16 PM   #105
Paul Moran
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
Download the BimmerCode app. Get an OBD scan tool and plug it into the port down on the left hand side where your legs go. The OBD will link to BimmerCode and you can delete it
      04-22-2022, 02:19 PM   #106
Paul Moran
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fean07 View Post
Yes I did it almost immediately. No problems
Bumping this.....

What exactly did you do and when you say "no problems" does it throw codes or not?

Thx.
No codes thrown and it sounds fantastic
      04-22-2022, 06:07 PM   #107
Paul Moran
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_portimaog20 View Post
so the exhaust gets louder or its the original sound when the valve is open but now 100% of the time? because the latter is what I assumed
The original sound when the valve is open. Since the valve muffles the sound a bit in comfort and sport mode. I believe it opens only above certain RPMs? With this mod, the valve is open all the time.
Also on cold mornings you have fumes coming out of both exhausts and not just one, so the one with the valve open doesn't now look like a fake exhaust. It's a must mod. The sound will bring a big smile to your face and turn heads. It's now a real sports sedan
      04-22-2022, 06:14 PM   #108
Paul Moran
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
Download BimmerCode app buy an OBD scanner, plug it into the port above the left hand side of the footwell. Press the start button three times until you see diagnostic mode. The OBD and bimmercode will start talking to each other. You will have lots of options to change stuff. I can't remember the name of the speaker noise cancellation but you will find it. Without the speakers and with the exhaust disconnected in the open position you are now hearing the sports sedan as it should be heard and it sounds fantastic. A must mod
      04-22-2022, 06:17 PM   #109
Paul Moran
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_portimaog20 View Post
so the exhaust gets louder or its the original sound when the valve is open but now 100% of the time? because the latter is what I assumed
Yes it gets louder and much sportier but not intrusive
      04-22-2022, 06:22 PM   #110
Paul Moran
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICG20M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
Quote:
See this thread

I did it, so far it's okay but I haven't looked under there to see if anything has melted off.