Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Adaptive LEDs in G20 - how good is their functionality?

06-23-2020, 05:13 AM   #23
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

I've only been out in a mate's 3 series to see the light functionality, but the standard adaptive LED's are MUCH better than the standard LED lights fitted to my G30, which are woeful.

I considered upgrading to lasers on my 3 series order but thankfully it looks like there's no need.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 06:36 PM   #24
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-1878 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sootchucker View Post
Newbie here, I’m seriously considering a G20 3 series to replace my current 2018 MK7.5 GTI, which was ticked with pretty much all options. Concerning the lights, visually what’s the difference between the standard adaptive LED lights and the laser lights I.e are the DRL’s different etc.

Does anyone have a pic of both please ?

Not on a UK car but this shows the different DLR's for each top being laser, bottom being adaptive.

I had the matrix headlights on my A4 and the main issue I had was on an A road or motorway, the camera which is part of the system struggles to pick up vehicles on the opposite side of the road, so you can end up inadvertently blinding other drivers or getting lots of people flash you. Not sure how the BMW handles these situations as I just have the standard adaptive.
I have never had a problem with the laser lights. Even when a car is in front the full beam is on and lights dip and switches the opposite side off when needed.

Even going around bends they move and don't dazzle the car in front. I'm really impressed with them to be honest.
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 04:45 AM   #25
Andy-1878
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3661 View Post
I have never had a problem with the laser lights. Even when a car is in front the full beam is on and lights dip and switches the opposite side off when needed.

Even going around bends they move and don't dazzle the car in front. I'm really impressed with them to be honest.
Oh, they were fine behind other cars, bends etc. But crash barriers seemed to be a problem for the system and they would remain on high beam with none of the LED's dipping out like they should do. Or, they would do it when you knew the driver had been blinded, not great. I'd assume on the Q cars they didn't have this problem as the camera sits higher up and won't have an issue seeing over the barriers.

I'd like to see the laser lights in operation (not just a youtube video as you can't ever really see the beams proprerly).
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 08:23 AM   #26
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

As I've said previous, it was the only option I wasn't bothered about when looking for a G20 but the one I found came with and I'm glad. Not only are they far more aesthetically pleasing, they are the best lights I've ever had the pleasure to use.
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 09:20 AM   #27
Andy-1878
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
As I've said previous, it was the only option I wasn't bothered about when looking for a G20 but the one I found came with and I'm glad. Not only are they far more aesthetically pleasing, they are the best lights I've ever had the pleasure to use.
I do prefer the DLR's for them, but I'd already added a few grand in options and felt I could live without them, as much as I do like fancy lights.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 04:17 AM   #28
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-1878 View Post
I do prefer the DLR's for them, but I'd already added a few grand in options and felt I could live without them, as much as I do like fancy lights.
I'm with you all the way, can't say I could justify adding £1500 to the build just for better looking lights no matter how well they performed, I'd prefer every other option over them, so if I had to choose, this would be omitted.
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #29
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
I would agree but they look even better on the new 5er
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 01:08 AM   #30
Sootchucker
Rep
Drives: VW Golf MK7.5 GTI

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but just to be clear, If I don’t go with laser light and stick to the “standard” adaptive LED lights, do the headlights bend around corners ?

Also, what function then (if any) do the inner lights serve (or are they just dummy lights?)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 02:46 AM   #31
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but just to be clear, If I don’t go with laser light and stick to the “standard” adaptive LED lights, do the headlights bend around corners ?

Also, what function then (if any) do the inner lights serve (or are they just dummy lights?)

Yes, that's what the "adaptive" part means.

Last edited by mofomat; 08-15-2020 at 02:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 07:26 AM   #32
Sootchucker
Rep
Drives: VW Golf MK7.5 GTI

Ok thanks....so what function do the inner lights do then please ?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 01:42 PM   #33
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Ok thanks....so what function do the inner lights do then please ?
They are just decorative - it's only the outer light that functions for both dipped & high beams
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 02:55 AM   #34
timclifford
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

The laser lights are amazeballs! They dance around in front of you to maintain about 1km of light around on coming traffic. When the road is empty in front of you the road is as close to a flood lit statium feel as you can get with a single car. I had LED matrix on a 2014 Audi S6, and they great lights then, its amazing how things have come on since. Our other car is a Golf GTD with Xenons and they feel like candles after the Laser lights.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 03:27 PM   #35
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

My car was 2nd hand so none at the time had Laser. Generally happy enough with LED but was a little disappointed with the throw of the dipped beam. Not really an issue until now as the nights begin to draw in.

So this evening, I got under the bonnet with my allen key and turned the controller 360º, which is a pretty big increase. Went out for a drive and didn't get flashed once and a much better reach. Might raise it a ¼ turn more to see if that is still OK.

Maybe it's just me, but all the cars I buy have the lights set really low.