Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA BMW G20 Dashcam and Battery Installation.

07-30-2020, 04:03 PM   #89
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsapper View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for this very helpful write up which I followed for my cameras installation. I did however make one very minor change. I was feeling very ambitious therefore I removed the rear view mirror cover and drilled two small holes to accommodate the front cables to allow routing inside the trim.

Thanks Steve
Excellent modification. It looks very neat.
Well done.
      10-08-2020, 12:04 AM   #90
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

Hi, I see most are installing in the trunk; however, did anyone check to see if a Cellink NEO would fit under the passenger seat in the G20 and not interfere with the seat when the seat is adjusted or moved? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 12:13 AM   #91
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW11 View Post
Hi, I see most are installing in the trunk; however, did anyone check to see if a Cellink NEO would fit under the passenger seat in the G20 and not interfere with the seat when the seat is adjusted or moved? Thanks.
Quote:
Hi

Just wondering what the rationale would be installing it under the seat , there is not much space there and then you would need to lead a cable from the battery in the back to under the seat
If it's in the boot then it's a few centimetres direct to the battery

If you install it on the boot there is quite a lot of space and you would never need to access it
Well at least I have had no need since it was installed
Appreciate 1
BMW11278.00
      10-08-2020, 10:16 AM   #92
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetitanx View Post
Hi

Just wondering what the rationale would be installing it under the seat , there is not much space there and then you would need to lead a cable from the battery in the back to under the seat

If you install it on the boot there is quite a lot of space and you would never need to access it
I was just thinking why wasn't anyone talking about under the seat installation because the pictures shown by Cellink NEO suggest under the seat install. Does it fit under the seat?
Name:  Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 11.14.05 AM.png
Views: 3205
Size:  1.18 MB
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 04:18 PM   #93
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was just thinking why wasn't anyone talking about under the seat installation because the pictures shown by Cellink NEO suggest under the seat install. Does it fit under the seat?
Attachment 2433030
The installation shown in the graphic uses the 12v supply. This charges the Cellink battery at a much slower rate than using the main car battery.
From memory, the car battery installation charges the Cellink in about 40 minutes of driving, whereas the 12v supply takes approx twice as long.
Sorry, I can’t tell you if the Cellink battery fits under either of the front seats as this is something I have never considered doing.
      10-08-2020, 10:35 PM   #94
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi

Attachment 2433030
Quote:
Quote:
Hi

I was just thinking why wasn't anyone talking about under the seat installation because the pictures shown by Cellink NEO suggest under the seat
install. Does it fit under the seat?
Attachment 2433030

Ah I see I think the pic is just for marketing, it just depends on your brand of car and for ours , better in the boot
Lots of space

Pic with Neo installed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BMW11278.00
      10-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #95
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Blackvue 950 overheating

Hi All

So don't normally park my car outside for long , but today I did and I received a warning that my dashcam was overheating and may shutdown

Maybe that's why the new version has cooling slits in the body.

I have the dashcam connected via Blackvue cloud service so thats why I received the message on the phone

If I didn't not sure I would be notified at all, probably only when I open the app

Just a heads up for a Blackvue owners
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 04:12 AM   #96
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

Hey all,

2 questions

- any more overheating issues? It's not even summer yet!

- anyone happy to share the price they paid and where they ordered from? I'm still interested but continue to leave towards drive recorder...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 05:33 PM   #97
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraliaG20 View Post
Hey all,

2 questions

- any more overheating issues? It's not even summer yet!

- anyone happy to share the price they paid and where they ordered from? I'm still interested but continue to leave towards drive recorder...
Not sure about the overheating issues as I don’t use the Cloud with my Blackvue 900S-2CH. Therefore, I have never noticed if the dashcams have shut down while parked. I could have checked the recordings, but I have never bothered to do so.
Cost of a Blackvue 900S-2CH is around $ 1200 with a Cellink Neo battery and 128 GB SD Card from Dashcams Australia.
I also have the BMW Drive Recorder on my car but (thankfully) have never had to use it. I only use it as a backup to the dashcams and for potential side impact vision.
If I was to get one OR the other, I would opt for the dashcams over the Drive Recorder. Occasionally, I download vision from the dashcams after a drive (usually on a winding road), or when I tried out the launch control. I’ve never done this with the drive recorder.
Hope this helps.
      04-26-2021, 12:03 PM   #98
Kocurkot
Rep
Drives: G20

You blocked curtain airbag by the cable! It may be dangerous!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 09:56 AM   #99
Chrono9084
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340ix

Garage List
SteveAus This is probably going to sound ignorant but when you connected to this 20amp fuse did you use a 20amp fuse for the Cellink as well?

I had a kit for a different camera system that I previously owned and it came with a 5amp fuse which I used when mirroring your installation. It blew immediately and I am pretty sure that is why but I wanted to verify that it is save to use a 20amp fuse with this battery as I can not find it in the documentation anywhere.

Side note, your guide is awesome and super appreciated!!

I think I did finally find in some responses that you did use 20amp.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 05:57 PM   #100
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono9084 View Post
SteveAus This is probably going to sound ignorant but when you connected to this 20amp fuse did you use a 20amp fuse for the Cellink as well?

I had a kit for a different camera system that I previously owned and it came with a 5amp fuse which I used when mirroring your installation. It blew immediately and I am pretty sure that is why but I wanted to verify that it is save to use a 20amp fuse with this battery as I can not find it in the documentation anywhere.

Side note, your guide is awesome and super appreciated!!

I think I did finally find in some responses that you did use 20amp.
The wiring set up is for charging the battery. The battery then powers the dashcams.

Yes, I used a 20 amp fuse for the Cellink connection. You can also use a 15 amp fuse if you prefer. Just make sure you keep the original 20 amp inline with the 12v accessory circuit. The Cellink draws a reasonable amount of power and needs a fairly beefy fuse to charge the battery and 5 amp would have been too low.

I’m not sure what dashcam you are using. I’m a little surprised it uses such low amperage for the two cameras. You should check that the electrical output from the battery is compatible with your dashcams. I’m sorry, I can’t remember what the output numbers are for the battery, but you should be able to find these figures on the battery or in the literature.

Hope you manage to get your dashcams up and running.
      06-24-2021, 07:05 PM   #101
Chrono9084
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
The wiring set up is for charging the battery. The battery then powers the dashcams.

Yes, I used a 20 amp fuse for the Cellink connection. You can also use a 15 amp fuse if you prefer. Just make sure you keep the original 20 amp inline with the 12v accessory circuit. The Cellink draws a reasonable amount of power and needs a fairly beefy fuse to charge the battery and 5 amp would have been too low.

I’m not sure what dashcam you are using. I’m a little surprised it uses such low amperage for the two cameras. You should check that the electrical output from the battery is compatible with your dashcams. I’m sorry, I can’t remember what the output numbers are for the battery, but you should be able to find these figures on the battery or in the literature.

Hope you manage to get your dashcams up and running.
The camera I had previously was a Viofo 129 Duo and the kit came with that. I am currently installing a Thinkware U1000.

I put in a 20amp fuse earlier and that did the trick. It is now charging as expected. Now I just have to install the cameras and radar and I am done. Thanks for the response!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 11:41 PM   #102
kimixhc
Rep
Drives: volvo xc60 M340i

Hi thanks for sharing! I see you re tucking the cable within the weather strip above the doors, isn’t that a concern or risk of the cable affecting curtain airbag delopyment should an accident happens?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 07:18 AM   #103
Wynnst0n
Rep
Drives: G20 BMW 330i

I ended up buying the Blackvue Battery on special (worked out to a similar price to the Cell Link Neo which is the same battery rebadged).

I installed it in the boot, it's currently sitting in the right rear accessory pocket (where people put their cleaning towels/solution). I plugged it into the 12v accessory plug in the boot and then ran a short extension, the Blackvue lead already reaches into the boot when routed neatly down the pillar and along the floor (tucked under the trim).

It doesn't charge as quick as hard wiring, but it does the job. On the plus side it won't interfere with the cars electronics and draw too much accidentally because it's managed by the system that sends power to the accessory socket.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 08:29 AM   #104
springerdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340xi

Viofo A229 to Cellink Neo

Sorry for bumping an old but useful thread. I'm planning to connect a Viofo A229 to a Cellink Neo in the trunk (boot). Do I need the Viofo Type-C HK4 Hardwire Kit Cable for this installation?
      11-27-2022, 02:29 PM   #105
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by springerdrive View Post
Sorry for bumping an old but useful thread. I'm planning to connect a Viofo A229 to a Cellink Neo in the trunk (boot). Do I need the Viofo Type-C HK4 Hardwire Kit Cable for this installation?
I don’t think you need the Viofo wiring accessory. It regulates the voltage coming from your battery when the dashcam is hard wired, but without a Cellink Neo battery. You can set the level of car battery voltage that you want to shut down the dashcam before it discharges your car battery too much.
Blackvue has a similar product…Power Magic Pro. I used this before in an F30 335i before switching to a Cellink Neo.

The Neo battery bypasses the need to use this product as it is independent of the car’s battery.

One thing you should be aware of, and this is dependent on how you use your car…….
In my case, my car is parked in the garage for long periods of time.
The car periodically does electrical system checks. During this time the circuit is triggered to start charging the Neo battery, it then closes the circuit after a short period of time.
In my case, I had some problems with my sunroof where it would freeze in the open or closed positions because the car battery had been drained and the sunroof had “lost” its settings. I could not rectify the problem myself and each time had to take the car to the dealer to fix the issue.
The dealer kept the car for a 12 hr battery and electrical systems check.
The bottom line to this long story is that I was advised to remove the Blackvue and Neo battery and replace it with a BMW ACE. I wasn’t keen to do this, but eventually I did. I haven’t had a problem since.

Now….if, unlike me, you use your car normally and drive it regularly, you should not have a problem with your dashcams, Neo…..or sunroof!!
Just thought I should pass this on to people.

BTW, I put the BlackVue and Cellink Neo in the VW Golf (that we use to transport our Cocker Spaniels to and from the beach - wet and sandy!!) and it works perfectly. The Golf is less sophisticated than the Beemer and handles the Neo without a problem, even though it also is left stationary in the garage for long periods of time. Incredibly, the Auto Stop Start function works first time, every time, after a long period of time in the garage and I do not have to charge the car battery like I seem to have to with the Beemer.
Sometimes Less is More

Last edited by SteveAus; 11-27-2022 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Additional information.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 05:10 PM   #106
springerdrive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
One thing you should be aware of, and this is dependent on how you use your car…….
In my case, my car is parked in the garage for long periods of time.
The car periodically does electrical system checks. During this time the circuit is triggered to start charging the Neo battery, it then closes the circuit after a short period of time.
In my case, I had some problems..."
Interesting, but not particularly helpful since there are various ways to install a dash cam + battery pack. Many have posted that their setup is successful, even when the car is not driven for days. When the camera and battery pack are both set up correctly, the battery pack should never charge from the car's battery when the car is turned off.
      11-27-2022, 05:17 PM   #107
springerdrive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerdrive View Post
Apparantly not. According to the folks at BlackBoxMyCar, all I need is the Power Output Cable w/ Spliced Viofo USB-C Hardwire Kit, but I'm still unsure about connection to the fuse box.
      12-19-2022, 09:02 AM   #108
springerdrive
Lieutenant
Rep

Viofo A229 Duo - Cellink Neo - 2022 BMW M340xi

This is the first dashcam I've owned or installed. The scariest and hardest part was gathering information specific to the g20 and trying to grasp, in the abstract, how everything would work. I'm extremely grateful to all the good folks at dashcamtalk.com and at BlackBoxmyCar who patiently answered all my newbie questions. Additionally, I found information on the web specific to the g20.

The Viofo A229 is powered by a Cellink Neo Battery located in the trunk (boot). The Cellink is charged from a connection to the fusebox (F273), also in the trunk (boot) that powers off about 7 minutes after the car is turned off. I've added a Cellink Extended Battery and now have approximately 50 hours on parking mode. With a power cable and a rear camera cable running on adjacent sides from the front to the rear, all cabling is 99% hidden. I was amazed that I accomplished this on my first try!

Front Camera:

I could have hidden the front camera behind the mirror, but with this location, it's much more accessible.

Rear Camera:

The rear camera was originally mounted higher (more stealthy), but I was getting an antenna wire at the top of the frame. You'll notice in the video below that there's still a fuzzy horizontal line in the frame. I could not find a location that would eliminate that.

The Viofo A229 menu, through the front camera or the wifi-connected app, is very useful for making adjustments, downloading videos, and turning parking mode on and off when it's needed and when it's not. The Cellink Neo's Bluetooth app is also very useful to check the battery status and charge level.

Last edited by springerdrive; 12-19-2022 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 06:25 PM   #109
nm2003
2023 M340i LCI xDrive (on order)
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i LCI

I am thinking of getting the BMW ACE 3.0 installed in my M340i when I pick it up in earlier April.

I will be getting the dealer to install it so hopefully wont get any headaches with a flat battery or other issues reported with sunroof not closing, linked to low voltage battery.

I believe it wasn't available yet in Australia back in Nov 2022. Does anyone know when the ACE 3.0 will be available and whether we are getting the PRO version (with the touch LCD) or just the standard version?

Any cost on this if it is available?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 10:24 PM   #110
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm2003 View Post
I am thinking of getting the BMW ACE 3.0 installed in my M340i when I pick it up in earlier April.

I will be getting the dealer to install it so hopefully wont get any headaches with a flat battery or other issues reported with sunroof not closing, linked to low voltage battery.

I believe it wasn't available yet in Australia back in Nov 2022. Does anyone know when the ACE 3.0 will be available and whether we are getting the PRO version (with the touch LCD) or just the standard version?

Any cost on this if it is available?
Talk to your dealer regarding availability, especially if you’re getting the ACE 3.0 fitted by the dealer. Having said that, you may have to ask more than one person at the dealership as, in my experience, they don’t seem to all have the same information, or pass it around to each other. Sometimes the spare parts team know about the availability of these kind of things before the sales people do.

As a guide, the ACE 2.0 that I had fitted last year by the dealer was $ 1295.00. It was cheaper at one dealer compared to the second dealer we have in Adelaide. So, shop around…