Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Android Auto - was connected and now will not connect

07-06-2021, 07:43 AM   #1
Chrono9084
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340ix

Garage List
Android Auto - was connected and now will not connect

So, I will start by saying I have searched the forums and have failed to find an answer in a reasonable amount of time (imo...but I am not all that patient lol).

I have had my car for two weeks now and have had Android Auto setup the entire time (through WiFi). This morning I left the house and realized that AA was not connected. At first I thought it was my phone so I restarted it but that did not fix the issue. I then told the car to forget the device and reconnected it the same way I did at the dealer when I picked it up. I went through all the prompts on the phone and it said it was connected but apps are still not available. The connection graphic in manage devices shows that calls and music are available but apps are not despite having allowed them and the Apps connection checkbox checked in settings.

Is there something simple that I am missing that any of you have experienced that could cause this issue? I didn't have any phone updates last night and the car didn't update so all variables are the same as the previous day.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 08:32 AM   #2
e38740imd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i

what phone do you have
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 09:05 AM   #3
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

I had a similar problem last week and resetting the whole iDrive fixed it.

You can do this by holding the volume button until the screen shuts down, it does take a long time.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 03:24 AM   #4
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono9084 View Post
So, I will start by saying I have searched the forums and have failed to find an answer in a reasonable amount of time (imo...but I am not all that patient lol).

I have had my car for two weeks now and have had Android Auto setup the entire time (through WiFi). This morning I left the house and realized that AA was not connected. At first I thought it was my phone so I restarted it but that did not fix the issue. I then told the car to forget the device and reconnected it the same way I did at the dealer when I picked it up. I went through all the prompts on the phone and it said it was connected but apps are still not available. The connection graphic in manage devices shows that calls and music are available but apps are not despite having allowed them and the Apps connection checkbox checked in settings.

Is there something simple that I am missing that any of you have experienced that could cause this issue? I didn't have any phone updates last night and the car didn't update so all variables are the same as the previous day.

Thanks in advance!
mine did similar a couple of weeks ago. But it was after an OTA remote software upgrade.
I fixed it by going to Apps, installed Apps, option, update apps and services. It did it's thing and then my phone connected to AA .
by the way, AA requires both Bluetooth and Wifi to connect. I have my Pixel 5 AA App set to auto connect to the car AA when it detects Bluetooth connection.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 12:55 PM   #5
SDKevin
Cone Killer
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i, Ducati 1299S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiTourer View Post
by the way, AA requires both Bluetooth and Wifi to connect. .
What makes you think that? I also was convinced that was true but I've been connecting to AA for a while now with only BT connection.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 03:11 PM   #6
e90dude1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i - M Sport

Mine connects just fine but frequently it starts stuttering , this is not just an issue with BMW cars...friend of mine has new VW and same issue...there is a bug with Android Auto when wireless, very frustrating as it is not being addressed by Android Auto to correct...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 09:43 AM   #7
T-NAS93
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 320i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono9084 View Post

Thanks in advance!
I'm having the exact same issue. The cars Bluetooth is not recognized by the phone at all, doesn't even attempt to connect it, very annoying indeed. May have to reset the full iDrive system.

Btw, I've just rebooted the system, it's seems to have fixed the problem. Don't know for how long though.

Last edited by T-NAS93; 07-29-2021 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 02:47 PM   #8
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90dude1 View Post
Mine connects just fine but frequently it starts stuttering , this is not just an issue with BMW cars...friend of mine has new VW and same issue...there is a bug with Android Auto when wireless, very frustrating as it is not being addressed by Android Auto to correct...
Yup. AA can be temperamental at times. I have the same issue in my VW (didn't have AA in my G20 toll yesterday and I haven't used it yet).
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 10:46 PM   #9
CeriusM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 PMB BMW 330ix M

Mine connects but the audio is super choppy. I'm running Samsung S21 Ultra and Spotify on a 2021 330i and 235i both had the problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 12:02 PM   #10
e90dude1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i - M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeriusM View Post
Mine connects but the audio is super choppy. I'm running Samsung S21 Ultra and Spotify on a 2021 330i and 235i both had the problem.

It is dissapointing but gonna have to blame AA since it happens on multiple cars...hopefully they will have a fix for it at some point
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 01:22 PM   #11
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeriusM View Post
Same with my 330i. I used AA for the first time in that car yesterday (07.2021.20). Audio was choppy. Even my phone was laggy when connected. It was horrible. I use the same phone and AA in my VW but that is a million times better. Only issue in the VW is drops once in a while but it reconnects almost immediately. I wanted an update in my BMW for AA buy now I'm regretting making my phone connect automatically to AA in this car.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 04:43 PM   #12
CeriusM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 PMB BMW 330ix M

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Same with my 330i. I used AA for the first time in that car yesterday (07.2021.20). Audio was choppy. Even my phone was laggy when connected. It was horrible. I use the same phone and AA in my VW but that is a million times better. Only issue in the VW is drops once in a while but it reconnects almost immediately. I wanted an update in my BMW for AA buy now I'm regretting making my phone connect automatically to AA in this car.
It used to be fine before the updates. Now they gone and screwed it up. Sigh. On the plus-side, Spotify app through ID7 sounds way better anyways.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 08:16 PM   #13
Chrono9084
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340ix

Garage List
Wow, sorry for not coming back to check on this thread after posting it!

I have a Note 10+. My issue resolved itself after removing the phone from Idrive and then reconnecting it. I probably should have just restarted Idrive but the problem has not come back yet so....
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 06:26 PM   #14
fkyang
Private
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320i M sport

My Samsung S20+ with AA now getting worse when play Spotify and Apple Music.
Music stuttering choppy makes me crazy.
Disconnect and reconnect sometimes fix but problems back again after few minutes.
I have 03/2021 version.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 01:32 AM   #15
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKevin View Post
Quote:
What makes you think that? I also was convinced that was true but I've been connecting to AA for a while now with only BT connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKevin View Post
Quote:
You might think you have, but you definitely have not. It uses 5Ghz WiFi. Some phones don't show the WiFi signal because the Wifi isn't connected to the internet.
https://support.google.com/androidau...uto-wirelessly
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 01:37 PM   #16
Nai1ZuTe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i

I was able to connect to wireless AA but it never auto launches. When I start my car the AA icon next to my phone is missing. I will have to either 1) open AA on my phone and somehow it triggers the connection and 2) open mobile devices page in iDrive and select my device, then there's an option called allow bluetooth connection which is disabled everytime. These two steps allow me to manually connect AA
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 02:45 AM   #17
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nai1ZuTe View Post
I was able to connect to wireless AA but it never auto launches. When I start my car the AA icon next to my phone is missing. I will have to either 1) open AA on my phone and somehow it triggers the connection and 2) open mobile devices page in iDrive and select my device, then there's an option called allow bluetooth connection which is disabled everytime. These two steps allow me to manually connect AA
Quote:
For auto launch, open the AA App on your phone and make sure that the check box is set to automatically resume when you start driving.

Not sure what phone you have but there is also a list of known bugs for various phones on the Android Auto support pages ..open the Phone AA App and select Help and Support on the 3dots menu.
In my experience, issues are mainly phone related. I have a Pixel 5 phone Android 11 and now on Android 12 and it has always worked perfectly with Android Auto on my M340i. A friend has a Samsung S21 and has lots of issues with his 330i.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 11:22 AM   #18
Nai1ZuTe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
For auto launch, open the AA App on your phone and make sure that the check box is set to automatically resume when you start driving.

Not sure what phone you have but there is also a list of known bugs for various phones on the Android Auto support pages ..open the Phone AA App and select Help and Support on the 3dots menu.
In my experience, issues are mainly phone related. I have a Pixel 5 phone Android 11 and now on Android 12 and it has always worked perfectly with Android Auto on my M340i. A friend has a Samsung S21 and has lots of issues with his 330i.
Actually the BMW bluetooth device (BMW XXXXX) shown in AA says "this device does not support auto launch features" and I don't think I've seen similar issue for other people. I guess that's phone-related. I have a Huawei Mate 20 and I saw another post with the same, but no issue. I am actually considering the Pixel 6 so I don't have to deal with this in the long run...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 12:49 AM   #19
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Actually the BMW bluetooth device (BMW XXXXX) shown in AA says "this device does not support auto launch features" and I don't think I've seen similar issue for other people. I guess that's phone-related. I have a Huawei Mate 20 and I saw another post with the same, but no issue. I am actually considering the Pixel 6 so I don't have to deal with this in the long run...
Quote:
Quote:

oh...now I understand the problem. Your Huawei phone does not support Android Auto properly now. That is because of the US technology export ban to China from Trump time. No Google Android technology is permitted and Huawei now have their own operating system.
So yes, I think the best solution is to change to a Pixel as you suggest. With a Pixel you at least know that it will be the best phone to operate with Android. I might also buy a Pixel 6 when it is available here; in the meantime I'm very happy with my Pixel 5 and Android version 12.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 04:48 PM   #20
Nai1ZuTe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
oh...now I understand the problem. Your Huawei phone does not support Android Auto properly now. That is because of the US technology export ban to China from Trump time. No Google Android technology is permitted and Huawei now have their own operating system.
So yes, I think the best solution is to change to a Pixel as you suggest. With a Pixel you at least know that it will be the best phone to operate with Android. I might also buy a Pixel 6 when it is available here; in the meantime I'm very happy with my Pixel 5 and Android version 12.
I believe my phone model was the last one to still support google service in US. I saw in the G05(?) forum that someone with the same phone with no issue on wireless AA. Not the same car but I think it shouldn't be different given the head unit software should be the same.

Anyway, will get the pixel 6 once it's in stock
Appreciate 0