BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes G20 too harsh

04-17-2021, 11:13 AM   #1
drdevil44
Rep
Drives: 320d 2010

G20 too harsh

Hi

I have a g20 msport and the suspension is just too harsh, what are my options to get it more comfortable?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 12:24 PM   #2
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Smaller wheels with non run flat tires. When I put my 18” winter wheels/tires on, it was definitely less firm. Still relatively jumpy, however. In retrospect should have done the adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 02:37 PM   #3
kevinm03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp Santorini Blue

You dont have adaptive suspension so? I've adaptive and it rides better than most cars. It puts herself's mk7 Golf GTD to shame.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2021, 07:57 PM   #4
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Too harsh? The ride in the g20 is way more compliant than past generations. Do you have runflat tires? If so, replace them with normal tires for a smoother ride
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 05:47 AM   #5
drdevil44
Rep
Drives: 320d 2010

I've swapped out the run flats on previous cars and not noticed a difference. Pretty sure the issue is its the msport springs.

Any idea on costs to swap out and put in adaptive suspension? Are there any aftermarket springs that aren't sports one?
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2021, 09:11 AM   #6
clipz85
Rep
Drives: g20

BUMP, i have the exact same problem. I drive a 330i M Sport Nobody seems to have an answer except switching to regular tires. Question i have, what else can we do ? Can we switch the dampers/spring to others ? if so which one?
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2021, 10:03 AM   #7
frankiej90
F20 M140i sold, G20 330i
Rep
Drives: F20M140i,G20 330i,F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipz85 View Post
BUMP, i have the exact same problem. I drive a 330i M Sport Nobody seems to have an answer except switching to regular tires. Question i have, what else can we do ? Can we switch the dampers/spring to others ? if so which one?
Some owners with passive suspension tried an inverted Coilover company called AGT-Shock Performance Coilovers, made in Taiwan. They can customise spring rates to suit your G20 with passive systems. They prioritise in comfort and many owners have run and tested them.

So feel free to email them with your details. They should be able to help.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 11:16 AM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

drdevil44, in your instance how would you characterize "too harsh": insufficient suspension travel as the vehicle travels over road imperfections and shudders as it bounces?

If that's the case, then you are not alone.

Springs serve many roles. The main one is to absorb the impact of road imperfections. At higher speeds, springs need to be stiffer to maintain the suspension geometry so that the wheels (through axles) maintain continuous contact with the road. Your car is built to achieve high speeds and that's why the springs are stiffer.

Since spring is still a spring, it compresses and extends. So struts are employed to act as dampening agents to control spring's oscillation, or compression and extension cycles.

Because struts and springs work so closely together to achieve a specific suspension behavior, the process to match both is complex and that's why it's often difficult to match springs and struts from different manufacturers. There are exceptions but only because other forum members were able to identify springs and struts that do work together well. Search for posts by johnung and his experience with Koni Special Active shocks and Eibach springs.

So what are the options?

1. To help absorb road irregularities faster, the compression cycle should be faster
2. To help return the suspension geometry to ground zero so that wheels maintain contact with the road surface, rebound cycle should be faster
3. The suspension travel should be sufficient, ideally close to OEM range. If the vehicle is lowered excessively, the problem will get worse

To achieve 1 and 2 while having the options to tune compression and rebound cycles independently, there are coilovers such KW V3.

The problem is Item 3: how not to lower the vehicle too much. Unfortunately, KW V3 does lower the vehicle more than many daily drivers want. (If KW V3 offered OEM height option or slight lowering range, KW would sell a TON more).

Other coilovers offer one control knob where compression and rebound cycles are adjusted together in a pre-determined manner. This is still a lot better than no adjustment at all.

I suggest to explore quality coilovers which offer:
- Near OEM suspension height
- Independent or balanced rebound and compression cycles adjustment
- Ability to specify a different spring while ordering - a softer spring as an example
Appreciate 0