Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Pops and bangs possible fix?

06-25-2021, 10:03 PM   #45
m240nj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD81 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m240nj View Post
I honestly had zero concern about it being built in Mexico. This is my 3rd BMW with my last two being built in Germany. So far can't notice a single difference in quality.
Ok, thanks for your input man. Gives me a little more peace of mind i guess lol. I'm also reading a lot of people with 2020 models eventually got tired of the burbles and pops although i'm not sure i would've ever gotten tired of them but i've already decided to get the Dinan exhaust when it becomes available again anyway
I was in the same boat and I don't THINK I'd get tired of the pops and bangs either but who knows. Either way, I'm satisfied with the MPE on my 2021. I've actually been getting some loud bangs that sound like a gunshot if I bring the revs up high. It's very inconsistent/unpredictable which I actually like because it makes it seem less artificial.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 10:07 PM   #46
Narek_M4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340I

Does this new 3/2021.57 fix the pops/burbles for the 2020 model too? I made an appointment next tuesday with my advisor to see if he can get this done on my 2020 and see if there are drastic improvements to sound and in general the shifting etc. Ill let yall know what happens
Appreciate 2
sikotic488.00
PLF693766.00
      06-25-2021, 11:55 PM   #47
cc009
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i X drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALotOfKirbys View Post
Lol are you ready to cut your exhaust?

If it's a lease it's sorta a headache and that's why I went with the awe track.
hey how are you liking that exhaust? I am currently debating between the track version or touring non res. Have you been having any drone issues with the track exhaust? That's my only concern and factor when it comes to deciding if I should spend the extra money for the touring. Also how much louder would you say its compared to stock? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 12:54 AM   #48
ALotOfKirbys
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2021 M340i xDrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc009 View Post
Quote:

hey how are you liking that exhaust? I am currently debating between the track version or touring non res. Have you been having any drone issues with the track exhaust? That's my only concern and factor when it comes to deciding if I should spend the extra money for the touring. Also how much louder would you say its compared to stock? Thanks!
Definitely louder than stock. Drones? Yes it does but I'm in NY so I don't really mind it that much since I'm always in so much traffic.

The only thing that really annoys me is the droning in 7th gear cause you almost never hit 8th until like 90+mph.

Good luck getting it right now because they are made to order from awe. I got lucky with mine because I own a automotive business and my distributor had it in stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 07:27 AM   #49
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340xi

Quote:
Definitely louder than stock. Drones? Yes it does but I'm in NY so I don't really mind it that much since I'm always in so much traffic.

The only thing that really annoys me is the droning in 7th gear cause you almost never hit 8th until like 90+mph.

Good luck getting it right now because they are made to order from awe. I got lucky with mine because I own a automotive business and my distributor had it in stock.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to have shop hallow out the existing muffler? You can pick them up for cheap used so you could keep your original, and then you could keep the factory valve to help eliminate drone at certain rpms. I find if u put it in manual mode and drop it a gear on the highway, it helps eliminate any drone, had that issue on my f30 and that made a difference for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 10:00 AM   #50
cc009
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i X drive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback, that's what I figured about the track version. I just have to decide if it's worth the extra few hundred for touring to have no drone. But yeah I've been in contact with awe they gave me times of about 8-10weeks :/
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 05:10 PM   #51
ALotOfKirbys
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback, that's what I figured about the track version. I just have to decide if it's worth the extra few hundred for touring to have no drone. But yeah I've been in contact with awe they gave me times of about 8-10weeks :/
Lol buy mine xD
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 05:12 PM   #52
ALotOfKirbys
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_B58 View Post
Quote:

Wouldn't it be cheaper to have shop hallow out the existing muffler? You can pick them up for cheap used so you could keep your original, and then you could keep the factory valve to help eliminate drone at certain rpms. I find if u put it in manual mode and drop it a gear on the highway, it helps eliminate any drone, had that issue on my f30 and that made a difference for me.
Oh yeah that's what I did to get rid of high rpm drones.

I was stuck in 7th gear and I just threw it to 8th cause of the obnoxious drone
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 02:49 PM   #53
master1111
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3m40i

Does updating software will also reduce pops and bangs on a 2018 year m40i model ?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 09:26 PM   #54
Enigma735
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i Sport Line

So I recently finally got updated from 11/20.50 to 03/21.57... my ‘21 has significantly more pops and burbles in Sport Plus than it did before, and yesterday I was being super aggressive next to a Lexus IS350 “coolguy” and had to abandon at the top of second because of a slow poke and when i let off i heard my second ever big “crack” on the rev drop. Scared the shit out of me tbh.

Comfort is still very muted, Sport regular is a bit better with some burbles, but sport plus is the biggest improvement imo.

This is stock non-performance exhaust, too.

My fiancee commented that the car is also way louder standing outside of it on startup in Sport Plus than before.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2021, 09:27 PM   #55
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma735 View Post
So I recently finally got updated from 11/20.50 to 03/21.57... my ‘21 has significantly more pops and burbles in Sport Plus than it did before, and yesterday I was being super aggressive next to a Lexus IS350 “coolguy” and had to abandon at the top of second because of a slow poke and when i let off i heard my second ever big “crack” on the rev drop. Scared the shit out of me tbh.

Comfort is still very muted, Sport regular is a bit better with some burbles, but sport plus is the biggest improvement imo.

My fiancee commented that the car is also way louder standing outside of it on startup in Sport Plus than before.
Do you have an aftermarket exhaust or downpipe?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 09:56 PM   #56
Enigma735
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_B58 View Post
Do you have an aftermarket exhaust or downpipe?
I edited the post probably while you were reading. 100% stock, non-MPE.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 07:42 AM   #57
Ghost Ritual
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G82

Quote:

Great to hear! Can anyone else confirm this?

If only BMW would state they improved the exhaust note in the software notes… wait.. that would make too much sense!
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2021, 02:38 PM   #58
m240nj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Ritual View Post
Quote:
So I recently finally got updated from 11/20.50 to 03/21.57... my '21 has significantly more pops and burbles in Sport Plus than it did before, and yesterday I was being super aggressive next to a Lexus IS350 "coolguy" and had to abandon at the top of second because of a slow poke and when i let off i heard my second ever big "crack" on the rev drop. Scared the shit out of me tbh.

If only BMW would state they improved the exhaust note in the software notes… wait.. that would make too much sense!
I said this wasn't true a few days ago about the sound increase but I take it back now after going for a "spirited" drive with my windows down. More burbling and very loud pops at high RPM confirmed. I have a '21 with MPE. Not a crazy increase in sound but mostly definitely a difference.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2021, 04:12 PM   #59
Ghost Ritual
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So I recently finally got updated from 11/20.50 to 03/21.57... my '21 has significantly more pops and burbles in Sport Plus than it did before, and yesterday I was being super aggressive next to a Lexus IS350 "coolguy" and had to abandon at the top of second because of a slow poke and when i let off i heard my second ever big "crack" on the rev drop. Scared the shit out of me tbh.

I said this wasn't true a few days ago about the sound increase but I take it back now after going for a "spirited" drive with my windows down. More burbling and very loud pops at high RPM confirmed. I have a '21 with MPE. Not a crazy increase in sound but mostly definitely a difference.
Good to hear. I have the dinan. I'm tempted to do the update now… I have 11/2020.37 or .50. I'm not sure off the top of my head.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 05:19 PM   #60
m240nj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good to hear. I have the dinan. I'm tempted to do the update now… I have 11/2020.37 or .50. I'm not sure off the top of my head.
Definitely curious to hear your feedback especially going into the update cognizant of the potential sound change. Good to know that someone at BMW is actually listening to the feedback and implementing changes based on it.

In sport plus with the Dinan right now do you get any burbles at all lifting off the gas at 3-4K RPMs? Pretty sure I didn't before the update and I do consistently now.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 08:19 AM   #61
Ghost Ritual
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Definitely curious to hear your feedback especially going into the update cognizant of the potential sound change. Good to know that someone at BMW is actually listening to the feedback and implementing changes based on it.

In sport plus with the Dinan right now do you get any burbles at all lifting off the gas at 3-4K RPMs? Pretty sure I didn't before the update and I do consistently now.
Yeah, I have a 21 and get pops and bags. While idling it's constantly burbling.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 10:46 PM   #62
Narek_M4
Private
Rep

Can someone upload a sound clip of the update. I have a 2020 and taking jt jn for service tomorrow wondering if it has any affect on sound on the 2020
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 05:49 PM   #63
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I have a 21 and get pops and bags. While idling it's constantly burbling.
Please make a video
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 09:31 PM   #64
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Add a downpipe and take those pops and bang to the next level
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 02:38 PM   #65
Narek_M4
Private
Rep

Dealer updated car to 3/2021.67 car has no burbles and pops now on my 2020 M340i. Very disappointed wish I didn't take it in
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 05:35 PM   #66
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narek_M4 View Post
Dealer updated car to 3/2021.67 car has no burbles and pops now on my 2020 M340i. Very disappointed wish I didn't take it in
Sorry to hear that, I was about to do the update too after seeing that other post.
Appreciate 0