Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Driving Assistant Features Gave Up in the Melbourne's Heavy Rain

06-09-2021, 05:03 PM   #1
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW U11 iX1 Xdrive 30

Driving home yesterday from work (yes I'm a permitted worker in health) on the Eastern Freeway, the entire driving assistant feature gave up and alarm bells started going off. It seemed the rain was so heavy that the radar/cameras couldn't tell the rain from other vehicles on the road. The BMW remained stable and surefooted though despite the strong wind and wet condition.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 06:21 PM   #2
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

It's amusing that these advanced car safety systems tend to give up on you at the time you need them the most! But seems pretty standard across brands.

Good to hear the G20 stayed stable. That was some mighty wind blowing last night!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 06:50 PM   #3
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
Driving home yesterday from work (yes I'm a permitted worker in health) on the Eastern Freeway, the entire driving assistant feature gave up and alarm bells started going off. It seemed the rain was so heavy that the radar/cameras couldn't tell the rain from other vehicles on the road. The BMW remained stable and surefooted though despite the strong wind and wet condition.
This happened to me as well a a few months back.

A warning comes up saying the sensors are not operation and once it dried out everything was back to normal. I'm glad a drenching did not BREAK the sensors!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #4
yaholez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i

Similar to taking it through a car wash.

So many alarms, and I was terrified it was going to start engaging the brakes.

Once dried tho everything back to normal!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 06:24 PM   #5
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
I guess this proves that the nut holding onto the steering wheel is still a better computer than all the systems built into the car!
With lockdown, I imagine there were not many vehicles on the road. It could have been quite scary for you had there been full-on peak hour traffic around you.
Glad everything worked out for you.