Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA door panel needs repainting

07-06-2021, 04:09 AM   #1
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d g20

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
door panel needs repainting

hi guys

the rear passenger door on my 320d was heavily scratched by someone. the panel will need to be repainted? the prestige body shops are quoting 4.3k for the paint job while the regular body shops are quoting 2k. any risks with going with a regular body shop?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 06:51 AM   #2
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

I'd get a detailed quote from both to figure out why it's double the price. Seems excessive though, I paid $500 for my front bumper and it was scratched pretty bad.... and I'd suggest harder than the door.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 04:51 PM   #3
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraliaG20 View Post
I'd get a detailed quote from both to figure out why it's double the price. Seems excessive though, I paid $500 for my front bumper and it was scratched pretty bad.... and I'd suggest harder than the door.
they have both provided detailed quotes. I may have to go with the regular body shop. any other risks to be considered apart from the quality of the paint job? I hope there won't be any issues with the electronics as I think that is the key difference between a beemer and a Hyundai
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 07:05 PM   #4
Michael BD
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M340iXDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by francton View Post
they have both provided detailed quotes. I may have to go with the regular body shop. any other risks to be considered apart from the quality of the paint job? I hope there won't be any issues with the electronics as I think that is the key difference between a beemer and a Hyundai
BMW South Yarra recommend Mr Gloss, they are an authorised BMW repairer, but I am not sure if they are expensive.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 08:16 PM   #5
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

Quote:
If they've given you detailed quotes then why is it more expensive?

There aren't a lot of electronics in the door - I've pulled mine to pieces replacing all the audio. That's if they are intending on taking it off and painting the internal panels, which seems unlikely.

In the end, if you don't like the job then don't pay and make them do it again. As long as the cheaper are reputable you should be fine.
Appreciate 1
francton124.50
      07-06-2021, 10:23 PM   #6
GTR33R
Private
Rep
Drives: M340iXdrive

My comments assume you have a metallic colour of some sort.
If the door has scratches on the paint ( no dints) the door doesn't have to be removed or painted on the inside . Unfortunately because it is the rear door they have to paint the front door and the rear 1/4 panel and that's where the work is.
The rear lights have to be removed and the roof mould so the strip between the window and the mould can be painted all the way to the front guard. The mould on the windscreen has to be removed.

The only panel that will be painted in full colour will be the rear door, front, door and 1/4 panel will be blended then the lot cleared.

Ask them both exactly what they intend to do in detail. The more expensive job is not necessary better than the cheaper one..
When you get the car back take a good look on the panels to make sure you can't pick the different colour. If the painter is any good you shouldn't be able to tell. Don't look at the panels close up, look from a distance in good light both in the sun and shade.

AustraliaG20, a front or rear B/bar is different story. They don't have to blend that, plastics are slightly different colour from factory, so they only need to paint the B/Bar.
Appreciate 1
francton124.50
      07-07-2021, 12:06 AM   #7
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

What colour is your car?

Some colours are super hard to match (for example, metallic white, dravitt).

I'd go with a BMW recommended repair shop.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 09:52 PM   #8
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
I got another quote from a local body shop that I have used before. they has done an excellent job on my previous mx5 and Tuscon. they showed me beemers that they have fixed previously. $1300. I think I'll go with them and pray that the electronics don't fail me
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 02:58 PM   #9
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
I got another quote from a local body shop that I have used before. they has done an excellent job on my previous mx5 and Tuscon. they showed me beemers that they have fixed previously. $1300. I think I'll go with them and pray that the electronics don't fail me
Cranbourne body works did a great job on my car. really happy. nicely colour matched, no issues with the car.
Appreciate 0