Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Quick Question from a BMW Noob

09-20-2021, 11:56 AM   #1
RGH
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi S4 (B9)/BMW M340i(G21)

Thumbs down Quick Question from a BMW Noob

Hi all,

I have ordered an M340i Touring and I've been super excited about getting it.

Until today.

Today has been the first opportunity I've had to drive one due to lack of availability and, I'm gutted to report, I'm pretty underwhelmed by it. Been left totally deflated as, not only was I very excited, I also feel like it's the only option available. Kind of reaching out to you lot to turn my opinion around/provide some solutions.

I'm coming from an Audi S4 Avant B9 which I've loved owning. It's pretty much everything I've wanted from a car. Fast, comfortable, reliable, loads of space, looks great and, importantly, feels fun, characterful, and makes a decent noise.

I would have just bought another S4 Avant, but Audi have been morons and stuck a diesel engine in it.

Hence why I'm at BMW. The last bastions of a fast, affordable, petrol estate car.

Anyway, received one from BMW experience this morning and was super excited about the infotainment which looks amazing and couldn't wait to get out on the road. Turned the engine on and ... not much noise. Thought to myself, "OK, they always sound better under load", so went for a drive and again ... not much noise.

Not only that, but I'm a bit underwhelmed by the driving characteristics of it. Long have I heard the much vaunted 'drivers car experience' comments from my friends with BMWs but, to me, the car feels bigger, heavier, and less planted than the S4. Perhaps I didn't push it enough to get the most out of it, and I'm definitely willing to give this part time as it's likely subjective and related to me simply not being used to it.

But the noise is a real, objective, disappointment. If I can figure out how, I'll upload two videos - one of the S4, one of the M340 and the M340 doesn't even come close. Which leads me onto a question - what are peoples thoughts in here about it, and what are a lot of people doing? What represents the best value modification to change the sound from overzealous vacuum cleaner, back into a car? I appreciate this isn't BMWs fault, but the fault of EU regulations, getting rid of any form of fun people can have in a car these days.

If it wasn't for the lack of options, I'd cancel the order. But there simply isn't anything else.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 12:00 PM   #2
evan103207
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGH View Post
Hi all,

I have ordered an M340i Touring and I've been super excited about getting it.

Until today.

Today has been the first opportunity I've had to drive one due to lack of availability and, I'm gutted to report, I'm pretty underwhelmed by it. Been left totally deflated as, not only was I very excited, I also feel like it's the only option available. Kind of reaching out to you lot to turn my opinion around/provide some solutions.

I'm coming from an Audi S4 Avant B9 which I've loved owning. It's pretty much everything I've wanted from a car. Fast, comfortable, reliable, loads of space, looks great and, importantly, feels fun, characterful, and makes a decent noise.

I would have just bought another S4 Avant, but Audi have been morons and stuck a diesel engine in it.

Hence why I'm at BMW. The last bastions of a fast, affordable, petrol estate car.

Anyway, received one from BMW experience this morning and was super excited about the infotainment which looks amazing and couldn't wait to get out on the road. Turned the engine on and ... not much noise. Thought to myself, "OK, they always sound better under load", so went for a drive and again ... not much noise.

Not only that, but I'm a bit underwhelmed by the driving characteristics of it. Long have I heard the much vaunted 'drivers car experience' comments from my friends with BMWs but, to me, the car feels bigger, heavier, and less planted than the S4. Perhaps I didn't push it enough to get the most out of it, and I'm definitely willing to give this part time as it's likely subjective and related to me simply not being used to it.

But the noise is a real, objective, disappointment. If I can figure out how, I'll upload two videos - one of the S4, one of the M340 and the M340 doesn't even come close. Which leads me onto a question - what are peoples thoughts in here about it, and what are a lot of people doing? What represents the best value modification to change the sound from overzealous vacuum cleaner, back into a car? I appreciate this isn't BMWs fault, but the fault of EU regulations, getting rid of any form of fun people can have in a car these days.

If it wasn't for the lack of options, I'd cancel the order. But there simply isn't anything else.
The US car sounds amazing stock, even better with MPE or other exhaust + high flow dp. That OPF filter kills all the fun.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 12:02 PM   #3
RGH
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan103207 View Post
The US car sounds amazing stock, even better with MPE or other exhaust + high flow dp. That OPF filter kills all the fun.
Yeah, I've been listening to it enviously for most of my afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 07:40 PM   #4
G-Mann
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Not sure what driving modes you did your test drives in, with that said I was a bit underwhelmed during my test drive in comfort mode but once I got into sports + and the shifter to the left I felt better.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 08:05 PM   #5
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

I had a B9 S4 and two S5's before the M340i. Without the theatrics of the 2020 M340i exhaust sounds, it is definitely a huge shortcoming compared to the pretty awesome exhaust of the B9 S models. The M340i is also MUCH smoother of a power delivery vs the S4, and it's definitely faster with a better gearbox. The steering is underwhelming as it's far too artificial in Sport mode (I liked it better in comfort). If speed isn't your thing, and you don't want to go down the road of an aftermarket exhaust (seeing as the MPE exhaust isn't available in the UK), you may continue to be underwhelmed by the M340i. I moved back to Audi after the M340i for an RS5 Sportback but I would not have gone back to a regular S model.
      09-20-2021, 11:12 PM   #6
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

Try this (I have -21 european M440i but should be similar):
* Change Engine Sound setting to Sporty. After a ~30sec warm up from cold start it opens the exhaust flap also in Comfort and Adaptive modes. (It also adds some artificial dark tone from the speakers, which I coded OFF with BimmerCode because of "principles" and it was a bit too much noise.)
I have one Favorites button set to this menu and can easily change it to Reduced at longer drives.

I use Adaptive mode for every day driving (coded as startup mode with BimmerCode.)

* Try the Sprint mode (~2sec at the down shift paddle). Works also in Adaptive (Comfort) mode. Step on it and upshift with the paddle ... I was surprised.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 05:03 AM   #7
RGH
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mann View Post
Not sure what driving modes you did your test drives in, with that said I was a bit underwhelmed during my test drive in comfort mode but once I got into sports + and the shifter to the left I felt better.
Pretty much solely in Sports +. Haven't even tried the other modes yet. With the S4 I generally switch between Eco and Dynamic. Eco on longer journeys/motorways when I really just want to chill and Dynamic in most other instances.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 05:15 AM   #8
RGH
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
I had a B9 S4 and two S5's before the M340i. Without the theatrics of the 2020 M340i exhaust sounds, it is definitely a huge shortcoming compared to the pretty awesome exhaust of the B9 S models.
Yeah, that's the major thing that's missing for me. Feel like a lot of the soul has gone. I nearly bought an A6 TFSIe competition, but was persuaded not to by a friend using my own comment that, because electric is going to be all I can buy in a few years, I want to try and experience what I can of the character of petrol engines. There just isn't any character in this M340i right now and it makes me sad. Wish the EU could just leave petrolheads alone for the last few years of ownership.

Quote:
The M340i is also MUCH smoother of a power delivery vs the S4, and it's definitely faster with a better gearbox.
I've honestly not felt that. I think it is quicker, but the amount it's quicker by is so negligible that I really have to pay attention to it. I've also never had an issue with the S4 'box outside of the standard Eco mode lag (which is a price you pay for eco mode). I had a C220D before the S4 and I probably have unrealistic expectations of a similar jump in feeling. The C220D had a really bad gearbox - even in the sporty setting. Basically had to drive it manual all the time.

Quote:
The steering is underwhelming as it's far too artificial in Sport mode (I liked it better in comfort).
I'll have to try that as I feel the same at the moment. Genuinely feel like the S4 has better steering feel at the moment - which is really odd given how everyone goes on about BMWs being the better drivers car. I just don't get it yet. It's also likely a confidence thing and the car feels much bigger than the S4 does in terms of footprint, yet the cabin also feels smaller. It's really odd.

Quote:
If speed isn't your thing, and you don't want to go down the road of an aftermarket exhaust (seeing as the MPE exhaust isn't available in the UK), you may continue to be underwhelmed by the M340i. I moved back to Audi after the M340i for an RS5 Sportback but I would not have gone back to a regular S model.
Speed is my thing. I just don't feel like there's enough of a difference - especially to justify the cost. It's around £150 per month more than I'm paying for the S4 and in many respects, it feels like a worse car right now. I'd be tempted with an RS4, but they're more expensive again and I don't want to be paying that much money. Kind of feel like I'm being backed into a corner where the M340i is the only car that remotely meets my requirements.
Appreciate 1
330iToy71.00
      09-21-2021, 05:21 AM   #9
Punkwrock
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i-X

https://youtube.com/shorts/VWqAsXWSjwk?feature=share

Here's the sound of my stock 2020 M340i with latest software update. To me this thing doesn't sound tame at all🤷
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 05:45 AM   #10
RGH
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkwrock View Post

Here's the sound of my stock 2020 M340i with latest software update. To me this thing doesn't sound tame at all🤷
BMW:

Audi:

To my ears, there's no comparison. The Audi sounds better. The difference is even more pronounced when driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 06:16 AM   #11
MD707
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Sounds like you don't like the M340, so not sure you'll be convinced? May be best to change it.

Mines a 2020 and makes plenty of noise - but a colleague with a 2021 reported same dissapointment. I think the new regulations have really quietened the factory exhaust, which is a new car market thing not tied just to BMW. Performance exhaust might be only option going forward? But it appears to be the way things are going...

Personally...every Audi I have driven has been a real let down for me. Just cannot get to grips with them, especially the lifeless steering. The S3 in particular, dull as ditch water. I've never driven the S4, though - so cannot compare....
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 06:39 AM   #12
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:

There's no comparison to a 2020 model. He's got two things going against as far as exhaust...1) he has a 2021 (super tame/lame sound compared to the 2020), 2) in the UK they have the OPF that neuters the sound even more.
      09-21-2021, 06:58 AM   #13
RGH
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21-M340i View Post
Sounds like you don't like the M340, so not sure you'll be convinced? May be best to change it. Mines a 2020 and makes plenty of noise - but a colleague with a 2021 reported same dissapointment. I think the new regulations have really quietened the factory exhaust, which is a new car market thing not tied just to BMW. Performance exhaust might be only option going forward? But it appears to be the way things are going...
I don't dislike it. There's plenty about the car I do like. The cabin and infotainment is great. It looks fantastic. The major thing though is the lack of viable alternative. Audi have stuck a diesel in the S4 and the Merc is a 2.0 (plus I'm not that fond of Merc after the C220D. So I'm kind of stuck. I'm tempted with a performance exhaust, but I'm just wary about the warranty issue. Any exhausts that people would recommend?

I'm just underwhelmed by the lack of noise which, as you say, is going to be an issue in any car, and the handling/feel of the car just is nowhere near as good as I was expecting seen as that's often banded as the reason to get a BMW. Most importantly though, it's just whether or not it's worth the cost increase over the S4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21-M340i View Post
Personally...every Audi I have driven has been a real let down for me. Just cannot get to grips with them, especially the lifeless steering. The S3 in particular, dull as ditch water. I've never driven the S4, though - so cannot compare....
Never driven an S3 either, so can't comment, but I've always enjoyed driving the S4.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 08:32 AM   #14
Punkwrock
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGH View Post
Quote:

BMW:

Audi:

To my ears, there's no comparison. The Audi sounds better. The difference is even more pronounced when driving.
Omg! That's the sound of a 2021 M340!?!? I can't believe the difference between that one and mine. That's unbelievable!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 09:02 AM   #15
RGH
Private
Rep

Quote:
Omg! That's the sound of a 2021 M340!?!? I can't believe the difference between that one and mine. That's unbelievable!!!
Sadly, yes. I could overlook some of the other minor things that I'm disappointed about, but that one is too big to ignore.

I think I'll need to buy an aftermarket exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 09:21 AM   #16
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xdrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:

Is yours an early build? What is your vehicles production date? Earlier build M340i' don't lose any exhaust goodness with these bullshit updates.

From what I've read it's the early 2019 builds. Mine is a Feb of 2020 build so I'll unfortunately be stripped of exhaust goodness if I proceed with an update.

What is your current software version? You rockin the MPE? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 11:11 AM   #17
Punkwrock
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBimmer View Post
Quote:

Is yours an early build? What is your vehicles production date? Earlier build M340i' don't lose any exhaust goodness with these bullshit updates.

From what I've read it's the early 2019 builds. Mine is a Feb of 2020 build so I'll unfortunately be stripped of exhaust goodness if I proceed with an update.

Mine is a 2019 build but the car is a 2020. Software is currently 2021/07 but I forget the last digits. All I know is that when I picked it up a few days ago from the BMW dealership he said we need to flash all certified pre owned BMW's to the most updated software and I was disappointed because I kept reading from everyone in here that it killed the exhaust sound. But when I fired it up for the first time I couldn't believe the agression of the sound! I don't have the MPE. As far as I know she's completely stock.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2021, 11:30 AM   #18
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xdrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBimmer View Post
Quote:

Mine is a 2019 build but the car is a 2020. Software is currently 2021/07 but I forget the last digits. All I know is that when I picked it up a few days ago from the BMW dealership he said we need to flash all certified pre owned BMW's to the most updated software and I was disappointed because I kept reading from everyone in here that it killed the exhaust sound. But when I fired it up for the first time I couldn't believe the agression of the sound! I don't have the MPE. As far as I know she's completely stock.
Cool. Appreciate the reply!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 12:49 PM   #19
RGH
Private
Rep

So I've been looking at Exhaust options and it seems the only type that is acceptable thanks to the EU trying to squeeze fun out of every little thing in motoring, is a slip-on axel back exhaust system with a few being available. The AC Schnitzer is the one that I'm currently interested in as doesn't void the warranty.

I used to be fairly interested in modifying a long while ago when I had a VW Scirocco, and the Warranty situation was always "The dealer needs to prove it's the modification that's caused the issue" - is this still the case? If so, I'm a bit more comfortable with extending my search.

Any thoughts/videos etc?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 02:48 PM   #20
RGH
Private
Rep

Just been out for a hoon and the car really comes alive when you make progress. My experience car has laser lights and they are amazing. Shame I've put my order in without them as I'd have probably added them.

Aside from the noise, main things that annoy me still are:
  • Steering wheel controls aren't the most intuitive. Why the cruise control is on the steering wheel instead of a stalk, I don't know. Such a waste of real estate for something else. And the volume control being the buttons rather than the roller is silly.
  • I'm not a fan of the digital dash in it. The Audi's is much clearer, easier to read, and more intuitive to navigate. Also seems like you can do more in it. The part I really dislike about this is the speedo, rev counter, and gear selection. They're all over the place and I feel like I'm spending longer looking at things to get the information. The rev counter especially given you can barely hear the engine.
  • Can't seem to project Android Auto onto the digital dash either. I use Waze as it tells me about the location of the Popo and that's good because, erm, they're usually preventing accidents in blackspots... Anyway, I can't understand why it wont put Android auto on there. Maybe you can and I just don't know how yet?
  • Felt like there was more body roll than in the Audi, like it was a bit more 'squishy' into the corners. Although I also think this could be the steering feel showing itself and I'm just not used to it.

Anyway, any thoughts on the exhaust or the issues above would be much appreciated. Really grateful of the involvement so far.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 01:56 AM   #21
Stevie_B
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i X-Drive Touring (due May

I've got a '21 M340i and must admit I had similar feelings when I first picked mine up. The lack of noise is something that has been covered on here extensively; it kind of is what it is unless you make changes, and looks like you're already well in to reviewing the options.

What I would say though is once I had the chance to really stretch its legs, on road and track, the car comes alive and really makes sense - you realise where the extra gains are compared to previos models / competitors when you keep the B58 on the boil. I'm still underwhelmed a bit by it then it's not kept up the rev range (my M135 *felt* quicker in mid range) but once pushing on it comes in to its own.

For me cabin and refinement are a huge step up. Granted it does feel big to move about to start with, but completely used to that now.

As others have said, leave the steering in comfort when in Sport for best results. Also if you can, get some Mich P4S tyres on there ASAP, that dramatically improves the feel and consistency of turn in compared to the run flats that I suspect your loan car has.

So I don't think all your concerns can be allayed but I've experienced that some will fall away as you spend more time with the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 03:56 AM   #22
Stevie_B
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i X-Drive Touring (due May

Just to add, looks like you're in the UK. There's a place called JCW who mod the stock systems on BMWs, including the B58 engine.

I've been looking in to them as an alternative option to get a bit more sound, as it retains the existing stock system and is invisible visually when you look from underneath the car (if you're worried about a dealer picking up on it during a routine check).

Not sure if anyone else in the UK has also looked in to/ gone through with it and can comment…?
Appreciate 0