Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Quick Question from a BMW Noob

09-24-2021, 08:37 AM   #23
RGH
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi S4 (B9)/BMW M340i(G21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie_B View Post
I've got a '21 M340i and must admit I had similar feelings when I first picked mine up. The lack of noise is something that has been covered on here extensively; it kind of is what it is unless you make changes, and looks like you're already well in to reviewing the options.
Yeah, it's a real shame. Totally took me by surprise and really put me on a downer from the very first moment. I'm having a look, but I haven't decided on anything yet as I don't really know enough. Hoping a few people in the UK on here can help me out as I don't want to void a warranty on a brand new, expensive car. I've never had an issue with the EU, but they're really annoying me with stuff like the OPF/PPF. ICE cars only have ~10 years left anyway, so can't they just let us enjoy the sporty models in peace?

Quote:
What I would say though is once I had the chance to really stretch its legs, on road and track, the car comes alive and really makes sense - you realise where the extra gains are compared to previos models / competitors when you keep the B58 on the boil. I'm still underwhelmed a bit by it then it's not kept up the rev range (my M135 *felt* quicker in mid range) but once pushing on it comes in to its own.
Yeah, I really enjoyed going out for a hoon the other night. You do have to push it to feel that involvement.

Quote:
For me cabin and refinement are a huge step up. Granted it does feel big to move about to start with, but completely used to that now.
I'd say it's at least on a par with the Audi. Ahead in a few areas, but behind in others. Not really a surprise though when cabin quality as what Audi are renowned for, but it's also 4 years old now.

The size part of it, I think is primarily because of that bonnet bulge restricting visibility to the front left quarter. But yeah, pretty sure I'll get used to it and I really like how there's a thin beam of light that comes out of the lights to show how close you are to hedges etc at night. Helps a lot with placement.

Quote:
As others have said, leave the steering in comfort when in Sport for best results.
To be a pain, can I ask you to reword this? Do you mean change just the steering part to comfort and leave everything else to Sport on individual?

Quote:
Also if you can, get some Mich P4S tyres on there ASAP, that dramatically improves the feel and consistency of turn in compared to the run flats that I suspect your loan car has.
That's a good point and may account for the 'squishyness' I found when I went out the other night. Ironically, I've just stuck 4 M P4S tyres on my Audi and they're great. Not sure if they were run flats on the loan car, but they were Pirelli and I've never been a fan of theirs. Most overrated tyre brand for me. I've always been a Michelin/Continental man (Michelin man in more than one way after lockdown).

Quote:
So I don't think all your concerns can be allayed but I've experienced that some will fall away as you spend more time with the car.
I'm honestly glad to hear from someone that's been in the same boat, proceeded anyway, and are happy with what they've got. I decided to keep my order in after the other night, but this helps - so thanks. Honestly, feels pretty strange spending c.£50k on a sporty car and having zero options. SUVs and emissions regs have ruined the market IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 08:39 AM   #24
RGH
Private
Rep

Quote:
Just to add, looks like you're in the UK. There's a place called JCW who mod the stock systems on BMWs, including the B58 engine.

I've been looking in to them as an alternative option to get a bit more sound, as it retains the existing stock system and is invisible visually when you look from underneath the car (if you're worried about a dealer picking up on it during a routine check).

Not sure if anyone else in the UK has also looked in to/ gone through with it and can comment…?
This is great thanks. Is JCW John-Cooper Works like the Mini's or is it a different one? I've been told to look at someone called PCW Exhaust Mods in Bedford by someone and it seems interesting.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 09:46 AM   #25
Stevie_B
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i X-Drive Touring (due May

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGH View Post
Quote:
Just to add, looks like you're in the UK. There's a place called JCW who mod the stock systems on BMWs, including the B58 engine.

I've been looking in to them as an alternative option to get a bit more sound, as it retains the existing stock system and is invisible visually when you look from underneath the car (if you're worried about a dealer picking up on it during a routine check).

Not sure if anyone else in the UK has also looked in to/ gone through with it and can comment…?
This is great thanks. Is JCW John-Cooper Works like the Mini's or is it a different one? I've been told to look at someone called PCW Exhaust Mods in Bedford by someone and it seems interesting.
Sorry I meant to write PCW 🙈 Yup that's him, guy in Bedford. Heard a lot of good things about going that route, I personally like the idea of keeping the stock look. Haven't yet seen any vids of the outcome on '21 M340 though…
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 02:28 PM   #26
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

I want the MPE but I can't justify that cost for sound.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 04:28 PM   #27
RGH
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sorry I meant to write PCW 🙈 Yup that's him, guy in Bedford. Heard a lot of good things about going that route, I personally like the idea of keeping the stock look. Haven't yet seen any vids of the outcome on '21 M340 though…
Ah ok. Cool. Yeah, I watched a video of a BMW M3 before and after and certainly made it louder.

I'll have to contact him closer to the time. Could be my burn-in run.

I just keep mentioning it to BMW every time I see them hoping someone takes it up the chain.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 04:29 PM   #28
RGH
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
I want the MPE but I can't justify that cost for sound.
If I was in the USA and could get one, I'd pay for it. It's worth it, IMO. You listen to it every day.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 06:40 PM   #29
Stevie_B
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i X-Drive Touring (due May

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGH View Post
To be a pain, can I ask you to reword this? Do you mean change just the steering part to comfort and leave everything else to Sport on individual?
Not a pain atall, I probably didn't word it well.

Yup you're right - my preference (as it seems the majority favour) is to setup sport individual so steering is in comfort and everything else is on sport/sport plus. BMWs Sport steering is often too artificially heavy and you lose the suppleness when pushing on.
Appreciate 0