Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin New M340i oil changes

08-26-2021, 08:19 PM   #1
BMWRNMD
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 M340i

New M340i oil changes

Hi everyone. I just bought a new 2021 M340i. I see mixed opinions on here about oil change intervals. Some say to do what BMW says and change every 10k miles (or whenever the sensor says to do it) and other say to do every 5k.

The new car maintenance coverage comes with 3 years/36k free oil changes, which is basically three of them.

My plan is to do them myself at 5k and then go get the free one at the dealer at 10k, and repeat the process.

Do you guys think this is reasonable?

Also I am concerned about how the oil sensor lets me know that it's time to go to the dealer for an oil change.

For example, right now it says "next service in 9800 miles". If I change the oil at 5k, is it going to extend the service notice or is that pre-programmed?

Also, will the dealer know that I changed it at 5k based on the oil sensor. I'm sure the oil will be black in color.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 08:18 AM   #2
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
I think this is a topic I feel fairly confident on speaking to after some time asking my own set of questions.

First things first, if you're leasing, stick with the free BMW maintenance. Full stop. If you're owning, continue reading.

Entirely your prerogative however frequent you want to change your oil. If you're not tracking the vehicle regularly, that may be a bit overkill. But again, your prerogative.

Instead of a dipstick, we get an oil level sensor. That's all it does. It's not the oil sensor that notifies you of when you need to change the oil. It's iDrive, specifically the service internal counter. It'll take into account the default change interval, and modify it based on how you operate the vehicle. It may shorten it if it picks up you're driving around a lot. You can change the oil as many times as you want, but the service interval message isn't going to change unless it's been reset.

Again, it's just a level measuring sensor. It's not going to tell the dealership that you've changed the oil. The color and the overall appearance of the oil may give away that it's fresher than what should be in there at 10K. But the dealership will more than likely not care. Unless you filled with the incorrect oil spec, the engine craps out, and you want to utilize the warranty.

From what I've been able to understand, the recommended BMW oil to use is BMW Longlife-01 FE, Longlife-14 FE+, or Longlife-17 FE+, 0w20 or 0w30. Those oil specs are tailored for fuel efficiency (hence the FE) and not necessarily engine longevity. If you're leasing, screw it. Just let the dealership deal with it at whatever interval and enjoy the free Wi-Fi in the waiting area. But if you're owning, your better bet is to switch to BMW Longlife-01 or Longlife-04 as those oils are more suited to protect the engine at the cost of a couple MPG. There's a few threads that go into detail as to why that is. Search for posts by "edycol".

Long post, but congratulations on the car! It may seem logical to inundate yourself with keeping with the service and whatnot cause it's a BMW and what they're known for. But these newer engines are beasts, and are more like teenagers than geriatrics. Just keep the tank full and drive with a heavy foot. The car will love you for it.
Appreciate 5
      08-27-2021, 07:59 PM   #3
BMWRNMD
Private
Rep

Thank you so much for your reply, it definitely lowered some of my anxiety on this oil thing.

So I have a 2021 which means I have the GPF (i couldnt find where to confirm it officially).

From what I understood, I should use LL-04 0W-20.

After reading all these other posts combined with youtube comments saying the same thing, I am confused.

I see so many posts saying that 0W-20 is garbage and it doesn't provide the adequate lubrication. So, they recommend 0W-30 or 5W-30.

I completely understand this from the technical standpoint. However, I am terrified to go against the owner's manual because of potentially losing my warranty.

I don't mean to sound too much like an amateur but this is my first BMW ever and knowing how expensive it is to fix just deters me in this case.

What brand and viscosity would you recommend? Also if the free oil changes at the dealer are 0W-20, would mixing viscosities every other oil change be harmful?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 08:37 PM   #4
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRNMD View Post
Thank you so much for your reply, it definitely lowered some of my anxiety on this oil thing.

So I have a 2021 which means I have the GPF (i couldnt find where to confirm it officially).

After reading all these other posts combined with youtube comments saying the same thing, I am confused.

I see so many posts saying that 0W-20 is garbage and it doesn't provide the adequate lubrication. So, they recommend 0W-30 or 5W-30.

I completely understand this from the technical standpoint. However, I am terrified to go against the owner's manual because of potentially losing my warranty.

I don't mean to sound too much like an amateur but this is my first BMW ever and knowing how expensive it is to fix just deters me in this case.

What brand and viscosity would you recommend? Also if the free oil changes at the dealer are 0W-20, would mixing viscosities every other oil change be harmful?
If under warranty use what dealership wants you to use.
If planning to keep vehicle, use LL04. LL04 doesn't come in 0W20 flavor. It comes in 5W30 or 5W40. Grade is not important as the fact you should stick to LL04 specification.
There are numerous oils to choose from, but most convenient and really good one would be Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 going for $22 for 5qt in your local Wal Mart.
Appreciate 1
BMWRNMD13.50
      08-28-2021, 08:17 AM   #5
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
I am not concerned about the oil changes. The car usually prompts me to change at about 6-8k miles. When I first had the car I had to add a quart between changes. Now that I have about 30k on it it seems to need less. The oil and the car are designed to up to 10k miles between oil changes. Besides they are free up tp 36k miles, as many as the car calls for.
Appreciate 1
BMWRNMD13.50
      08-28-2021, 09:05 AM   #6
MattEcho
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340xi

Quote:
My understanding is all US cars do NOT have the particulate filter. Where did you come by this? Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2021, 06:46 AM   #7
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
If planning to keep vehicle, use LL04. LL04 doesn't come in 0W20 flavor. It comes in 5W30 or 5W40. Grade is not important as the fact you should stick to LL04 specification.
There are numerous oils to choose from, but most convenient and really good one would be Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 going for $22 for 5qt in your local Wal Mart.
Like edycol said, you can definitely keep with the dealership oil changes if you're worried about the warranty.

I second the Pennzoil Platinum Euro L recommendation. Mostly because that's what I bought to put in the car next weekend. I'm still under free maintenance, but I'd rather get better oil in the car sooner than later.
Appreciate 1
BMWRNMD13.50
      08-30-2021, 10:22 AM   #8
BMWRNMD
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_ckash623 View Post
Like edycol said, you can definitely keep with the dealership oil changes if you're worried about the warranty.

I second the Pennzoil Platinum Euro L recommendation. Mostly because that's what I bought to put in the car next weekend. I'm still under free maintenance, but I'd rather get better oil in the car sooner than later.
So, you will put the Pennzoil 5W-30 in and then the dealer will put in the 0W-20 in on the free changes. Do you think it is safe for the engine to alternate oil viscosities like that?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 10:27 AM   #9
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So, you will put the Pennzoil 5W-30 in and then the dealer will put in the 0W-20 in on the free changes. Do you think it is safe for the engine to alternate oil viscosities like that?
Oh no, I'm not using the dealership changes at all. Doing my own changes with 5w30 from here on out. I believe there's folks on here that do swap viscosities as needed from time to time. Some will use a heavier oil for hard tracking then swap down for day to day, or seasonal fluctuations.
Appreciate 1
BMWRNMD13.50
      08-30-2021, 11:17 AM   #10
BMWRNMD
Private
Rep

Quote:
Oh no, I'm not using the dealership changes at all. Doing my own changes with 5w30 from here on out. I believe there's folks on here that do swap viscosities as needed from time to time. Some will use a heavier oil for hard tracking then swap down for day to day, or seasonal fluctuations.
I would definitely do that too. However this whole warranty thing makes me reluctant. So how does it work in your case and everyone else who is still under warranty and changes oil with the 5W-30. If something serious goes wrong with the engine and the dealer sees that the 0W-20 wasn't used, the warranty is gone.

So I guess in this case (as with most mods) it's a "do it at your own risk" type of thing right? (even though technically there should be no issues)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 11:40 AM   #11
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I would definitely do that too. However this whole warranty thing makes me reluctant. So how does it work in your case and everyone else who is still under warranty and changes oil with the 5W-30. If something serious goes wrong with the engine and the dealer sees that the 0W-20 wasn't used, the warranty is gone.

So I guess in this case (as with most mods) it's a "do it at your own risk" type of thing right? (even though technically there should be no issues)
The B58 engine (engine code for the motor inside the M340i) can take a plethora of oil viscosities. Still, that doesn't mean just dump any old oil in there. Pennzoil is the brand for Shell oils, who are (or were) the OEM partner for BMW. Needless to say, it's pretty good stuff. If something serious does go wrong, the dealership will have to do a diagnostic and will have to conclude that the oil is what caused the issue. By law they can't just point at it and say "warranty is voided due to a non OEM part."

Pennzoil Platinum Euro L is still BMW Longlife-04 approved oil. In Europe, oil spec is LL04 for the B58. BMW specifies 0w20 for use in NA to comply with CAFE/EPA, as lighter oil is more fuel efficient. Same engine, just different requirements. So you're not "breaking" anything on the engine by switching your engine oil.

Last edited by k4sh_90; 08-30-2021 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 3
      08-30-2021, 12:11 PM   #12
BMWRNMD
Private
Rep

Quote:
The B58 engine (engine code for the motor inside the M340i) can take a plethora of oil viscosities. Still, that doesn't mean just dump any old oil in there. Pennzoil is the brand for Shell oils, who are (or were) the OEM partner for BMW. Needless to say, it's pretty good stuff. If something serious does go wrong, the dealership will have to do a diagnostic and will have to conclude that the oil is what caused the issue. By law they can't just point at it and say "warranty is voided due to a non OEM part."

Pennzoil Platinum Euro L is still BMW Longlife-04 approved oil. In Europe, oil spec is LL04 for the B58. BMW specifies 0w20 for use in NA to comply with CAFE/EPA, as lighter oil is more fuel efficient. Same engine, just different requirements. So you're not "breaking" anything on the engine by switching your engine oil.
Thank you. This really clears all of this up for me. I really appreciate it.
Appreciate 1
k4sh_90539.00
      08-30-2021, 12:25 PM   #13
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you. This really clears all of this up for me. I really appreciate it.
Of course. Happy to have been able to help out!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 05:17 PM   #14
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post

To keep warranty one does not have to use dealership! Per Magnusson-Moss Act one has to use oil recommended. Oil change can be DIY and warranty will be kept.
B48/58 engines, like all engines can take any grade. But remember fellas, grade is irrelevant, approval is what matters! BMW like all European manufacturers base oil approvals on HTHS (High Temperature High Shear) not grade. LL01 and LL04 are minimum HTHS 3.5cp. HTHS? Resistance of oil to temporary or permanent loss of viscosity. Higher HTHS, more resistance. But, you don't want to go crazy in that department. Higher HTHS=worse mpg.
Someone mentioned mixing grades. That is fine. One of API requirements is for oils to be able to mix; different oils and different grades.
Appreciate 2
k4sh_90539.00
BMWRNMD13.50
      09-07-2021, 11:52 AM   #15
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Topped off the engine with Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 this last weekend. So far so good on the engine. Been trying to run the engine a little hard in my daily driving, something that's quite a bit more entertaining since I installed the Dinan axle-back exhaust.
Appreciate 1
BMWRNMD13.50
      09-08-2021, 12:24 PM   #16
BMWRNMD
Private
Rep

Quote:
Topped off the engine with Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 this last weekend. So far so good on the engine. Been trying to run the engine a little hard in my daily driving, something that's quite a bit more entertaining since I installed the Dinan axle-back exhaust.
Thanks for the update. Does it take longer to warm up to operating temp? Also do you notice a difference in driving with the 0W-20 vs 5W-30? Does this more viscous oil require the engine to be driven harder?

Also I just watched a video of that exhaust and it sounds amazing! I definitely like the sounds more compared to MPE.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 09:20 PM   #17
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the update. Does it take longer to warm up to operating temp? Also do you notice a difference in driving with the 0W-20 vs 5W-30? Does this more viscous oil require the engine to be driven harder?

Also I just watched a video of that exhaust and it sounds amazing! I definitely like the sounds more compared to MPE.
More viscous oil doesn't need to be driven harder.
Thicker oil will achieve operating temperature faster as resistance is higher. However, at much lower temperatures 0W20 will flow better. At KV40 (kinematic viscosity at 40c) 0W20 will flow better and in case of let's say need for WOT, will provide bit faster lubrication.
IMO, flow of 5W30 oils that are LL04 is sufficient for proper lubrication in cold months in lower 48. In Alaska or Canada, like Edmonton, 0W20 might be better choice during winter.
Appreciate 1
BMWRNMD13.50
      09-09-2021, 06:50 AM   #18
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I haven't noticed any increase in engine warm up time since the oil change. Granted, it's still fairly warm where I'm at, but I'm also not expecting an increase due to the oil at least.

To double what edycol said, the car doesn't need to be driven harder due to the oil. It's been me having a want to drive the car hard. It is a BMW after all.
Appreciate 1
BMWRNMD13.50
      09-09-2021, 07:05 PM   #19
BMWRNMD
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that info.

How much oil does the M340i take? (I think it should be the same for 2020 and 2021).

It seems like BMW withheld the majority of specifications in the owner's manual. I could only find oil type but not capacity.

Do you know of any reliable source for spec info on this car?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 07:20 PM   #20
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for that info.

How much oil does the M340i take? (I think it should be the same for 2020 and 2021).

It seems like BMW withheld the majority of specifications in the owner's manual. I could only find oil type but not capacity.

Do you know of any reliable source for spec info on this car?
Oil capacity on the B58TU is 6.5 liters (about 6.8 quarts).

I took a screenshot off the Driver's Guide app regarding oil types.

It does say to only use LL-01 FE, LL-14 FE+, or LL-17 FE+. The FE spec is for NA to satisfy CAFE requirements for fuel efficiency. But using LL-04 is for engine lifetime.
Attached Images

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 07:22 PM   #21
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
For more detailed (emphasis on detailed) information about maintenance for the M340i, check out this post.

Service manual for the G20: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27587923

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 08:32 PM   #22
times1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i xDrive

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I just leased a new 2022 M340i. While I do the oil changes on my other 3 vehicles, this BMW will go to the dealer for the FREE oil changes! The NO maintenance for 3 yr/36K miles helped seal the deal.
Appreciate 1