Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals 2021 Mineral Grey G20 330i gets E36 325i stablemate!

09-27-2021, 10:40 PM   #1
n0wjsti
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

2021 Mineral Grey G20 330i gets E36 325i stablemate!

After 3 years with my F30 330e, I've finally decided to move on with the G20 330i. The motivation for the change came primarily from the fact that residual values of the F30 330e in my region are very low; in fact my 2018 330e was lesser in value than an equivalent 2016 330i. And so, before the car's price tanked completely, I decided to take the plunge and move on.

I placed my booking back in May, but had to wait nearly 4 months due to continued lockdowns and chip shortages. The car finally arrived at the dealership mid of last week, and after its final prep and paperwork, yesterday was the day.

As you can probably see (even when it comes to colour) I'm quite a boring person too

I don't have a whole lot of mods planned; driving across state borders are still restricted here, so there isn't much chance of breaking in, or learning the car. All in due time, fingers crossed!

However, the first thing I had done prior to delivery, was to swap out the run-flats for a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports; they were fresh on my F30, so since the size was the same, had an easy swap onto the G20. I also had the car windows tinted and a ceramic coating applied, as well as a de-badge (removed all M logos and 330i badge on the rear as well -- similar to my F30 330e).

In the not so distant future, I'm planning to add on a spoiler, maybe a front lip, and I'm also considering a set of wheels. The only problem is, I don't seem to find many Mineral Grey G20 with interesting wheels. We will see...

Last edited by n0wjsti; 11-07-2022 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 3
      09-27-2021, 10:49 PM   #2
n0wjsti
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep

...and by 2020 MG 330i, I really did mean 2021 MG 330i...

Apologies for the pandemic memory; the last 2 years is nearly a blur
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 09:33 AM   #3
n0wjsti
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep

It has been raining the last few days, so there hasn't been much opportunity for pictures. For now, I am playing with the idea of some aesthetic mods; namely M grille and a spoiler. Maybe wrap the roof black. Also thought about a set of aftermarket wheels, but not sure if I want to keep it to 18" or 19" -- and whether to maintain a staggered set-up or go with a box set-up (we have loads of potholes, and I also drive a lot).

Anyway, it stayed dry for a few hours, so braved the outdoors for some quick pics (I quite like it with all the exterior badges removed):

Appreciate 1
fuxxo133.50
      10-03-2021, 02:06 AM   #4
n0wjsti
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep

Since I had my RFTs from factory swapped to a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport prior to delivery, I knew I had to send my car in for alignment work. It was running a little weird, so I made time to go over the weekend.

I'm happy to share that the car drives much, much nicer now. Also, since I was already out, I thought I'd have the grille changed, as well as adding a rear spoiler. I always knew I wanted the double-spoke M style grille, but was undecided on the spoiler. Welp, I eventually went with the M4 CS style in carbonfibre, but the least aggressive version.

Now, I'm wondering if I should complete the look with front/rear diffusers and side-skirts...
Appreciate 4
      10-03-2021, 11:25 AM   #5
n0wjsti
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep

Moar pics, because... well, why not? The sun setting as it got closer to the golden hour was beautiful...

Appreciate 3
      10-05-2021, 05:39 PM   #6
fifthelement89
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320d

Your car looks FANTASTIC!

Just like the one I purchased ahah But mine unfortunately it's just the sport version. it's arriving in 2 weeks hopefully.

Are those wheels 18"?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 09:16 PM   #7
n0wjsti
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthelement89 View Post
Your car looks FANTASTIC!

Just like the one I purchased ahah But mine unfortunately it's just the sport version. it's arriving in 2 weeks hopefully.

Are those wheels 18"?
Thank you!

Where I am, the Sport kit is only available on the 320i while the 330i gets the M Sport (with what I believe is called Shadowline trim; default with all M Sport). And yes those are also standard 18" 790 M double spoke alloys for the 330i (although I much prefer the 18" 780 V spoke alloys on the 320i).
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 09:38 AM   #8
n0wjsti
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep

Here's a render of potential wheel option... BBS inspired, and machine forged alloys. Thoughts?

10-13-2021, 09:45 PM   #9
n0wjsti
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep

Since I (used to) go for frequent Sunday morning drives, my previous F30 had picked up a ton of stone chips; on the bonnet, headlamps and front bumper. It was worst on the headlamps -- if you ran your fingers on the headlamps, you would feel craters. Knowing this, I wanted to have PPF installed on the headlamps and fog lights, especially considering the cost for replacement.

To be honest, I am also considering having PPF installed on the front bumper, especially since lockdowns here have started to ease and it is now possible to cross borders.

On a happier note, I have also taken the time to speak to someone who produces custom forged wheels which are TÜV and VIA approved and FEA (finite element analyzed). Still can't quite decide on a size and design...
      10-14-2021, 02:31 AM   #10
Incarniac
Human
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i Coupe

Fantastic looking car, love the photos.

Of the two wheel options above, my personal preference would be the second one, but (1) it’s close and (2) it’s such a personal choice that I’m not sure anyone else’s personal opinion will help much
      10-17-2021, 11:10 AM   #11
n0wjsti
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incarniac View Post
Fantastic looking car, love the photos.

Of the two wheel options above, my personal preference would be the second one, but (1) it’s close and (2) it’s such a personal choice that I’m not sure anyone else’s personal opinion will help much
Thanks for the feedback! (1) are actually my car's stock wheels and (2) is just a render. Nothing firm yet at this point.

It was a good weekend and with state borders now open, I took the opportunity for a (long awaited) drive up the hills.

Coming from a F30 330e, the G20 330i feels so much more different. While peak power isn't much different between the two cars, the G20 does have more torque but, more importantly, much less weight compared with the hybrid. What surprised me was that there was so much more mechanical grip; not once did I hear the tyres squeal as I carved my favourite corners. At this point in time, I think it is safe to say that the car is much faster than I can drive her.

I am thoroughly impressed.

After the weekend, I am almost convinced I love the way the car drives. Which means, I am now really wondering if I want to keep to the stock 18" wheels or even consider compromising the ride with 19" at all. After all, a little gap on the wheel arches never bothered me too much...

Oh, also happened to run into several other G20s this morning. Don't know who the owners are, but I guess car guys just like to drive for breakfast on Sunday mornings here.

10-21-2021, 09:41 AM   #12
g.m00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 & M2C

[QUOTE=n0wjsti;28123223]Here's a render of potential wheel option... BBS inspired, and machine forged alloys. Thoughts?

Personally, I prefer the first one.

I feel it gives it that edgy look superior to the second but it's up to you mate!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 03:33 AM   #13
n0wjsti
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. That's two votes now for the first option... which also happens to be my car's stock wheels! Its weird, because I really didn't like the way they looked. Hmm, maybe first add some skirts and diffuser...

Another weekend up in the hills, this time more cars and more traffic. I guess we're finally going almost back to normal.

10-29-2021, 07:17 AM   #14
n0wjsti
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep

Took the day off to sort out some other work. And since I had resolved the work by lunchtime, thought I'd drive around the corner...

Finally decided to go with some aesthetic kit. Instead of a carbon front lip, I decided to go with a matte PP material, M-Perf inspired. I figure I go through enough potholes and steep carpark ramps that it just wouldn't be a good idea to go with a carbon lip.

Went with carbon side-skirts, also M-Perf style. Pretty standard fare and not many options to pick from. If I scuff them, the problem would seriously be me!

As for the rear, I'd contemplated keeping the PP aesthetic. But I did not like the standard M-Perf diffuser area (especially since it was gloss black). If there was a carbon option, I likely would have went with it, but no bueno. Also, the store's rear diffuser option were mostly meant for vehicles with dual-tips exhaust set-ups and mine are standard single tips on both ends.

Instead, I decided to spiff up the arse with a pair of (pretty pointless) canards on those fake vents
      11-04-2021, 10:31 PM   #15
n0wjsti
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep

Finally placed an order on the wheels, now the wait begins and I hope they arrive by Jan 2022!

11-07-2021, 02:21 AM   #16
n0wjsti
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep

Another weekend, means another weekend drive. Exploring some new routes this morning...

11-08-2021, 01:48 PM   #17
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

But I did not like the standard M-Perf diffuser area (especially since it was gloss black). If there was a carbon option, I likely would have went with it,

There is a carbon diffuser, #51192455856 & plenty of third party options with various prices and quality,
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 10:19 PM   #18
selbyp93
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0wjsti View Post
Here's a render of potential wheel option... BBS inspired, and machine forged alloys. Thoughts?

Personally, I'd prefer stock wheels as well. But it's really up to you.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 08:05 PM   #19
n0wjsti
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3RTA View Post
But I did not like the standard M-Perf diffuser area (especially since it was gloss black). If there was a carbon option, I likely would have went with it,

There is a carbon diffuser, #51192455856 & plenty of third party options with various prices and quality,
Here in my part of the world, parts are much, much harder to get. At least they seem to be, for now. And shipping them in from US/UK incurs high taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selbyp93 View Post
Personally, I'd prefer stock wheels as well. But it's really up to you.
Thanks for the feedback man! But I've finally decided to go with these wheels; have placed my order and deposit, so now the hard part is waiting for them to arrive.

Another weekend, another drive... this time, an interesting rear cam perspective:

02-17-2022, 03:54 AM   #20
n0wjsti
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep

Finally some updates! Wheels arrived end of Jan, but as it was the holiday season, I couldn't squeeze time to have them installed. After some weeks, today was the day!

Honestly, I am very happy with how these have turned out. 18x8.5 at the front and 18x9 on the rear, tipping the scales at 8.8kg and 8.9kg respectively.
      03-23-2022, 10:23 PM   #21
AlienDeltaOrion
Rep
Drives: M8 2022

Nice color!!

:frio!:
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0wjsti View Post
Finally some updates! Wheels arrived end of Jan, but as it was the holiday season, I couldn't squeeze time to have them installed. After some weeks, today was the day!

Honestly, I am very happy with how these have turned out. 18x8.5 at the front and 18x9 on the rear, tipping the scales at 8.8kg and 8.9kg respectively.
This color and the design were wonderful
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 01:37 PM   #22
n0wjsti
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep

Its been a long while since I had a good drive with some friends. Car needed a clean up to look good (of course!). Also collected my first stone chip on my windscreen (thanks to that lovely 430 Spider!).

Really love the new wheels -- shows off the M-Sport brakes, which many people did not notice before. And before I wrap it up... I also managed to convince a friend to purchase a G20 330i (his in Portimao Blue) so hopefully more pictures in the coming weeks!