Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Rear Brake pads DIY

10-01-2021, 09:54 PM   #1
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

Rear Brake pads DIY

Hello,

So my gf's 330i started showing due for rear brake pads (30k miles), and dealer quoted $400 to replace them.... yea right lol

So i figured id do the job myself, but i wasn't able to find any instructions, so i wanted to share how to do it.

First: I couldn't find any aftermarket pads, it doesn't appear that they make them yet. I got original equipment pads from FCP euro for about $120 delivered (this is about as cheap as they come, and include a warranty from FCP).

Second: I have bimmerlink, which you will need to enter into brake service mode.

Third: You need 14mm and 15mm wrench.

So the procedure: I had a bit of an issue entering the brake service mode via bimmerlink, it said it failed to do so. First you need to make sure your handbrake is off. Second i set the tranny into neutral... but it still gave me an error, however, I did hear some noises coming from the rear, and when i ended the service mode, i also heard noises from the rear. So i figured that the app was just giving an error for no reason, so i proceeded.

Take off the wheel.

Ref image: Number 10 is where you will have the 14mm bolt outside (this one you will turn) and 15mm inside (this you will hold). There are two bolts, top and bottom. They should be really easy to take off.

Once you do, the caliper will come off. You can easily remove the brake pads now. The pad on the right will have the sensor. If you are changing the pads soon after you got the warning message, you will be able to salvage the sensor. My gf has done about 300 miles after the warning came on, and the sensor is still good.

Now... the caliper needs to be compressed. p.s don't forget to open the brake fluid reservoir (just a bit, so u don't get dirt and air in). Sooo, if you didn't use the bimmerlink, this will get tricky (i won't go into it, do your own research). But, if you entered into the service mode, it's super easy to compress the caliper. Just press it... done...

Then put it all back together. But wait... once everything is back on, don't press the brake pedal. First end the service mode via bimmerlink. Then activate the hand brake (don't start the car, don't press the brake pedal before you do).

If you followed these steps, you shouldn't have any lights on, and it all takes about 40 minutes.

p.s. i looked at my pads: 3 of the pads looked like they still had 90% of life left, and only the right rear inner one (where the sensor is) was worn to 3mm (pretty much done)... weird...
Attached Images

VipinLJ1936.50
ztech128.50
Dilber15.00
      10-01-2021, 10:55 PM   #2
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Great DIY.

Weirdly enough, when I took my 330i in for an oil change, the SA did a key read and he showed me where the car said the rear pads needed to be changed. Nothing popped up on the idrive though. Said everything was fine but key read said otherwise. He checked and said it was indeed worn out. Changed it since he said my car had some kind of service pack included when I got it and rear pads were covered.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 10:46 AM   #3
David809
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 330xi

I am looking to do this to my 2021 330xi this weekend. Can I use BimmerLink to enter brake service mode? What exactly happens when I enter brake service mode? Also, how do I reset the brake pad replacement light? Can I do this through BimmerLink?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 02:12 PM   #4
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David809 View Post
I am looking to do this to my 2021 330xi this weekend. Can I use BimmerLink to enter brake service mode? What exactly happens when I enter brake service mode? Also, how do I reset the brake pad replacement light? Can I do this through BimmerLink?
Bimmerlink can put the parking brake into service mode and reset the service interval.

The electronic parking brake is essentially a motor that locks the rear brakes. Service mode releases the motor so you can freely service the brakes.

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 03:42 PM   #5
1nline
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4sh_90 View Post
Bimmerlink can put the parking brake into service mode and reset the service interval.

The electronic parking brake is essentially a motor that locks the rear brakes. Service mode releases the motor so you can freely service the brakes.
So does service mode mean I wouldn't have to remove the motor and turn it manually to compress the piston?

In other words, in service mode, a simple piston compressor tool can be used without damaging the attached motor?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 08:21 PM   #6
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nline View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4sh_90 View Post

So does service mode mean I wouldn't have to remove the motor and turn it manually to compress the piston?

In other words, in service mode, a simple piston compressor tool can be used without damaging the attached motor?
Yes. Emergency parking brake in service mode, and you can compress the piston down to get the pads in/out.

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 1
1nline4.50