Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs Wax for Mineral White Metallic Paint

05-28-2021, 08:36 PM   #1
Charliehc75
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i

Wax for Mineral White Metallic Paint

I'm a first-time BMW owner looking for car wax recommendations for 330i's Mineral White Metallic Paint. I'd welcome any other recommended car care products as well. Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 01:42 AM   #2
Dark_cobra
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 320D Xdrive Touring

Keep it clean and free of contamination. Use a clay bar, fall out remover and tar remover. It's clear coated anyway so you don't need a specific colour enhancing wax. Go for a wax with good longevity. I'm in the Uk so not sure you get the same products where you live as are available to me?
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2021, 06:03 AM   #3
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

What exactly are you looking for in terms of looks, performance and longevity?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 08:29 AM   #4
Charliehc75
United_States
Rep

I've never had a car with metallic white paint and was just wondering if there was a particular car wax that might be preferred. I've also red that some waxes may tone down the metallic in the paint and I don't want that to happen.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 09:09 AM   #5
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

There are waxes marketed specifically for white paint but honestly any good quality sealant or coating will make the metallic pop

Check out NV Nova Jet, it's a spray on sealant that's easy to apply with very good performance
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 04:33 PM   #6
ultrared93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 M340ix '93 300zxTT QX30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_cobra View Post
Keep it clean and free of contamination. Use a clay bar, fall out remover and tar remover. It's clear coated anyway so you don't need a specific colour enhancing wax. Go for a wax with good longevity. I'm in the Uk so not sure you get the same products where you live as are available to me?
I would caution on a general recommendation on the use of a clay bar. It should only be used when needed (as determined by feel using the plastic bag test). Clay will by nature put micro scratches into the paint, as it is slightly abrasive. And clay mitts or towels are safer than a real clay bar. If you use clay, then you need to polish prior to applying a wax or sealant.

As far as "waxes" go, carnauba based products will perhaps look the warmest, but have the least durability. A good synthetic sealant provides a combination of appearance and durability and often UV resistance. The most durable, but most time consuming is a "ceramic" coating. However, unless the OP is an experienced amateur detailer, I don't recommend undertaking their use. As far as color specific "waxes", the only ones I am aware of are for black cars and actually contain some tinted fillers to enhance the appearance.

There are any number of good You Tube detailers out there that have their own product preferences.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 03:21 PM   #7
Charliehc75
United_States
Rep

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'm looking forward to using this forum as a valuable resource.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 03:28 PM   #8
gavinwong
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport

Garage List
2020 G20 330e  [9.00]
I've used meguiars products for the last 7 years. Disclaimer : Not a fanatic detailer person 😂 but I find their products are pretty good at doing the basics of car maintenance. Waxes I've used are ultimate liquid wax : application and bottle both last a decent amount of time. And more recently tried the 3 in 1 polish and wax.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2021, 04:56 PM   #9
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinwong View Post
I've used meguiars products for the last 7 years. Disclaimer : Not a fanatic detailer person 😂 but I find their products are pretty good at doing the basics of car maintenance. Waxes I've used are ultimate liquid wax : application and bottle both last a decent amount of time. And more recently tried the 3 in 1 polish and wax.
So I AM a fanatic detailer who's been accused of having a love affair with my power buffer 🤣

I'd also 100% recommend Meguiars cleaner/wax for great results and ease of use. My last BMW was also mineral white, and it really kept it extra shiny and showroom new.
      08-06-2021, 06:38 PM   #10
3ismagic#
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 330Xi M-Sport

Skip the waxes and get some Gyeon Cancoat. It's a solid user friendly spray on ceramic coating that will last a solid 8 months.

Otherwise get yourself some Gtechniq crystal serum light and ExoV4
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 09:20 PM   #11
chuckr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i M Sport

Dodo juice Diamond white. Menzerna 3 in 1 polish with Dodo juice on top !
Absolutely the best finish for your metallic white.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 02:58 PM   #12
inssane
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i XDrive

Wolfgang products are excellent.
Clay bar, cleaner/cutting wax, wolfgang sealant, any choice of wax over the sealant to enhance. Sealant usually good for 3-6 months, then strip it all down and do it again. You can always add steps (cutting or decon) but sealant last.
This method has always reaped great results with minimal scratches and a deep shine in midwest weather.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 06:55 PM   #13
Haywood187
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
I used Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Pro to the Max Wax my last detail on my F30. Was really impressed. That was back in like July maybe and it’s still glossy to the touch and looks good. I used two coats and it was easy to apply and wipe off after I clayed and polished.

Retired - 2014 335i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 12:33 PM   #14
John Adams
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M440i

I got tired of waxing and went with a good ceramic coating.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 11:36 AM   #15
acudaf82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3, 2023 BMW M440i

Waxes, Sealants, and stuff....

I am an experienced car detailer and agree that the right products (put on correctly) can really help protect a vehicles surfaces. One of the important things to consider with a wax is its ability to NOT stain rubbers or other surfaces when applied. Ease of removal is also something to consider. Wolfgang and Pinnacle make EXCELLENT wax products. When considering a wax, you typically get what you pay for. Good waxes are not cheap. DoDo Juice is a good wax as well (I have used it, but prefer the Wolfgang and Pinnacle products). There are a ton of great products on the market - both natural and synthetic.
There is a big difference between carnauba waxes and polymer paint sealants. Both do their respective jobs very well. They also work very well together. New SiO2 products offer superior protection for surfaces and ease of use. I use these regularly in both paint sealant and spray detail products. They work extremely well. If you ask me what the most important thing is - good washing techniques and regular paint maintenance. Ceramic coatings do offer great protection and high gloss....but the surface still needs good maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 04:33 PM   #16
Tman97
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW m340i portimao blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by acudaf82 View Post
I am an experienced car detailer and agree that the right products (put on correctly) can really help protect a vehicles surfaces. One of the important things to consider with a wax is its ability to NOT stain rubbers or other surfaces when applied. Ease of removal is also something to consider. Wolfgang and Pinnacle make EXCELLENT wax products. When considering a wax, you typically get what you pay for. Good waxes are not cheap. DoDo Juice is a good wax as well (I have used it, but prefer the Wolfgang and Pinnacle products). There are a ton of great products on the market - both natural and synthetic.
There is a big difference between carnauba waxes and polymer paint sealants. Both do their respective jobs very well. They also work very well together. New SiO2 products offer superior protection for surfaces and ease of use. I use these regularly in both paint sealant and spray detail products. They work extremely well. If you ask me what the most important thing is - good washing techniques and regular paint maintenance. Ceramic coatings do offer great protection and high gloss....but the surface still needs good maintenance.
This is best advice given by anyone on this thread. A good resource for learning about properly detailing your vehicle is https://www.autopia.org/forums/
Appreciate 0