Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs First time using DA Polisher

03-06-2022, 02:35 PM   #1
dstingel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord

First time using DA Polisher

The paint on my Phytonic Blue 330i is in very good condition. However, being in the Northeast it’s hard to hand wash during cold months. I went through the car wash a few times this winter and have some swirls noticeable in sunlight.

I’d like step up to a DA Polisher and get her cleaned up really nice as the weather warms up. Looking for advice, recommendations (products and polishers), etc.

My plan is to use Meguairs Ultimate Polish, with a medium or fine pad to hopefully eliminate some of the fine swirls. Followed by ultimate wax. I’m nervous to use a compound on such new paint, and not entirely sure it’s necessary.

I will wash and clay first.

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 02:50 PM   #2
malibuboats91
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i xDrive

Garage List
I have a Griots Garage 6.5" polisher that I swapped out the backing plate for a 5.5". I've been using it for probably 10 years at this point.

I started my DA journey using the Meguiars DA microfiber system and it was great. I found that my cars didn't need that much work though, so I started just using the 2nd step. Once I ran out of that I switched over to Menzerna products. When my car is swirled pretty bacillus (rarely happens) I use PO91e followed by SF3500, then Collinite wax as a last step protectant. Most of the time I just do the last one or two. Then for pads I use Lake Country flat pads. Mostly white and gray. I've never needed to use anything more aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 04:21 PM   #3
dstingel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord

Thanks. Auto Geek has a ton of info but almost leaves me with more questions than before.

My main issue there is most posts are looking for a full paint correction. I’m just looking to get rid of some swirls on a 6 months old car, without killing my arms. I suppose I could try a section by hand first. If the polish removes the swirls by hand I can go with a fine pad and the DA and probably get awesome results.

No-touch car washes next winter lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 04:39 PM   #4
malibuboats91
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstingel View Post
Thanks. Auto Geek has a ton of info but almost leaves me with more questions than before.

My main issue there is most posts are looking for a full paint correction. I'm just looking to get rid of some swirls on a 6 months old car, without killing my arms. I suppose I could try a section by hand first. If the polish removes the swirls by hand I can go with a fine pad and the DA and probably get awesome results.

No-touch car washes next winter lol.
If you have or are interested in getting a DA polisher, I'd use Menzerna SF3500 with a black pad. That's what I use on my car once or twice a year. I'm not familiar with ultimate polish, but so long as it's not an aggressive cut you should be ok with that too.

I spend a lot of time on AutoGeek. Actually just had a big order from there delivered yesterday. I used to be obsessed with getting 100% swirl free, but now I shoot for 85% and call it good. The above recommendation is all I do.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 07:59 PM   #5
Haywood187
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Don’t be too scared of polishing. I found it easy to start off simple using a product like Chemical Guys VSS, or Adam’s One Step that is not super aggressive and will leave a nice shine along with removing light defects. Then follow those up with a nice wax or sealant. I used Turtle Wax hybrid solutions pro to the max wax and was really happy with it my last polish and wax job.

Follow steps or watch some tutorials online from reputable companies or detailers. Once you get comfortable with it you’ll ease into more aggressive polish products when/if you need them. I had some deeper marks on my trunk from what seemed like previous owner of my F30 had a ring on when closing trunk. VSS wouldn’t get those out so I used a heavier cutting pad and some Chemical Guys V34 and V36 to polish out.

I never thought I would use/need a nicer polisher but I have been using Torq 503x and have been really happy with it as a beginner and now more “skilled” DIY detailer. Now I’m using it several times a year on either my car, wife’s car, and friends and family cars.

Best of luck to ya!

Retired - 2014 335i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 08:26 AM   #6
ultrared93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 M340ix '93 300zxTT QX30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstingel View Post
The paint on my Phytonic Blue 330i is in very good condition. However, being in the Northeast it’s hard to hand wash during cold months. I went through the car wash a few times this winter and have some swirls noticeable in sunlight.

I’d like step up to a DA Polisher and get her cleaned up really nice as the weather warms up. Looking for advice, recommendations (products and polishers), etc.

My plan is to use Meguairs Ultimate Polish, with a medium or fine pad to hopefully eliminate some of the fine swirls. Followed by ultimate wax. I’m nervous to use a compound on such new paint, and not entirely sure it’s necessary.

I will wash and clay first.

Thanks !
I would not use a compound unless you find that your polishing efforts don't get rid of the swirls. I use Sonax Perfect Finish which can cut enough to remove swirls, but produces a high level of gloss. Its results can be adjusted just by changing pads - medium for swirl removal and fine for the best finish. Remember to periodically clean or blow out your pads so that the removed paint residue does not induce more swirls or hazing. I still use an older Porter Cable DA, but if I were doing more cars, I would step up to a professional level polisher.

To reduce your workload even more, consider using a clay mitt while washing the car prior to polishing. As long as you keep the surface soapy and dunk the mitt in the soap bucket frequently it should work well. However, remember that any clay, bar or mitt, is abrasive to a certain degree. You may need to polish the whole car if you clay it all.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 01:36 PM   #7
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:
Good choice, you do not want an aggressive paint correction compound.
Attached is a chart of comparisons relative to aggressiveness of polishes/compounds. It is somewhat dated as of 2017 but good comparison of a lot of common polishes/glazes and compounds.

As far as recommendations, you will get a wide range, your stated choice is good one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 01:08 AM   #8
acudaf82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3, 2023 BMW M440i

AutoGeek - Great place

I have been shopping at Autogeek for over 10 years. They have great products and how to videos. I use Flex polishers, Lake Country pads, Menzerna products and Wolfgang and Pinnacle waxes. I like to detail so I still do paint sealants and not into ceramic coatings as of yet. My cars stay in a garage and are well maintained.....and I am in So cal...so no snow.
I use a Portable Cable 7424XP to put waxes and sealants on and remove as well. I only use the Flex -3401 - for paint correction.
Good tip to remember is if you are doing any of this type of work....clay bar etc....start with a PH neutral wash....can use Dawn to strip off everything and then build everything back up.
Bad washing habits is what usually causes swirls...two bucket method works best. A good foam cannon is also a good investment.
Appreciate 0