4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Nail in my new G20 tire

10-09-2021, 11:24 AM   #1
Chaos_301
Rep
Drives: 2021 bmw 330i xDrive

Nail in my new G20 tire

Hello, 1st time posting here as I just picked up my first bmw about 3 weeks ago. I'm loving the car, it's amazing.

But of course with my luck, I went to my garage this morning and had low tire pressure, about 15psi. I inspected the tire and found a nail lodged in. I added air and have been driving for about an hour and it's been holding pressure.

Being as this is my first time with run flats, what's the recommendation? I only have a 100miles on the car so if I should replace it due to the nail, I rather do it early. Sorry just looking for any advice, thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 04:40 PM   #2
aguycalleddb
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i XDrive

Garage List
Is it in the front or rear tyre? Is it close to the side wall?

If it's in the centre part of the rear I'd get it plugged, i got a screw in the side wall of mine in the first week and had to replace the tyre :

G42 /// M240i Thundernight
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2021, 08:59 AM   #3
Chaos_301
Rep
Drives: 2021 bmw 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguycalleddb View Post
Is it in the front or rear tyre? Is it close to the side wall?

If it's in the centre part of the rear I'd get it plugged, i got a screw in the side wall of mine in the first week and had to replace the tyre :
It's the front right, pretty close to the sidewalk ugh. Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 12:26 PM   #4
nealjay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m440

Run flats are like eggshells normally but just replace it its like 250 for a new one
Same happened with my 2018 3 series and just got a new tire not even at dealership just looked up the tire online go to tire shop and have them do it. Before that i had a tire pump electric and kept fillin it ip like every three days i dont recomend that just get it replaced i was just being hard headed cause it happened like yours less then 200 miles.

My older e93 i had tire warranty its about 2k for unlimited tires and rims i used to drive that car all over and got good use of that warranty like 15 tires and 8 rim replacements

Also had a friend that plugged his run flat hit hit a pot hole and left him stranded
Good thing about runflats it doesnt leave u stranded u have enough time to go get it replaced expensive but ive gotten used to them
And if its leaking like yours then just get it replaced
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 12:54 PM   #5
M4dski11z
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i

Try it and see how you go. The tyre place, if decent, will let you know straight away if it’s repairable. I’ve repaired many runflats and they’ve lasted another 10/15k miles. £20 repair vs £100+ for a new tyre… always worth a shot to give it a go!
Appreciate 0