Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Auto Stop Start De-Activating Button

10-10-2021, 02:31 AM   #1
HeebieJeebies
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 320d xdrive, G22M440i xdri

Auto Stop Start De-Activating Button

Having an early morning perusal of piston heads G21’s for sale thread and, trying to dig down into the different ‘packs’ spec (these packs really confuse me, I am old tho, in my defence).

Looking mainly at 330D and M340D, X and non Xdrive variants, with a view to upgrade my poverty spec 320d Xdrive in the near future (I also want someone else to have taken the initial hit on depreciation, so v low miles and nearly new). Don’t get me wrong, both me and Mrs HebieJeebies have found mucho love for our G21, but I just wish I’d paid more attention to the different packs etc when we purchased this one.

In our 70plate car we have an Auto Start Button below the parking sensor on the tranche of buttons down the side of the auto selector, but the 330D’s and M340D’s I’ve looked at don’t have the ‘button’ and at least one claims to have one in the description

The one with the blue leather inserts (which I find disgusting btw) is a M340D car with several ‘packs’

Am I missing something here?

Some pics:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 02:39 AM   #2
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

I think I'm right in saying that cars with MHT don't have the button. My 71 plate 330i does have it still.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2021, 02:44 AM   #3
HeebieJeebies
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino at Work View Post
I think I'm right in saying that cars with MHT don't have the button. My 71 plate 330i does have it still.
Aah! Never twigged to that, I’ll have another look at the cars in the pics to see if they’re MHT or not.

I’m assuming then, that the MHT spec just does the auto/start thing all the time in ‘Comfort’ or ‘Eco-Pro’ selection?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 02:49 AM   #4
Incarniac
Human
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeebieJeebies View Post
I’m assuming then, that the MHT spec just does the auto/start thing all the time in ‘Comfort’ or ‘Eco-Pro’ selection?
Yes, it does (mine does). The only stock way to disable start/stop is to change the drive mode into to sport (sport, sport plus or sport individual).

Alternatively, you can go down the coding route to disable start/stop, but that depends on if you want to do that (I don’t, at least not for a while yet).

To be fair, start/stop with MHT is very smooth - by far the smoothest I’ve had in any car.
      10-10-2021, 02:59 AM   #5
HeebieJeebies
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incarniac View Post
Yes, it does (mine does). The only stock way to disable start/stop is to change the drive mode into to sport (sport, sport plus or sport individual).

Alternatively, you can go down the coding route to disable start/stop, but that depends on if you want to do that (I don’t, at least not for a while yet).

To be fair, start/stop with MHT is very smooth - by far the smoothest I’ve had in any car.
Thanks, yeah I’ve no problem with the stop/start thing and, to be fair it’s only annoying slightly when the cars technology meets the human driver interface (not coming to a complete stop or pressing the brake hard enough). It is pretty seamless tho.

Just found it a bit strange that the option wasn’t there in the in the higher spec cars
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2021, 03:02 AM   #6
HeebieJeebies
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino at Work View Post
Just to confirm, all the cars I’ve noticed this on are MHT’s
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 06:00 AM   #7
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Yup, MHT's don't have the button.

You can disable it by going into Sport on the driving modes, or simply knocking the gearlever into Sport.

In Comfort, Adaptive, Eco Pro it works brilliantly in almost every situation, the only time i disable it (by knocking the gearstick left) is when i am emerging from a T junction onto a fast and busy road and i can't afford any delay or hesitation (for safety).
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 2
      10-10-2021, 07:22 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
In Comfort, Adaptive, Eco Pro it works brilliantly in almost every situation, the only time i disable it (by knocking the gearstick left) is when i am emerging from a T junction onto a fast and busy road and i can't afford any delay or hesitation (for safety).
Makes so much sense to simply over-ride for situations, where safety is the priority. I was doing the same when driving a G20 MHT. Otherwise a very good system.

The MHT is clearly quite a complex system and pretty clever with its use of regeneration and coasting assist. I wonder how any coding (if possible) would corrupt the full suite of functions.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 08:09 AM   #9
HeebieJeebies
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Makes so much sense to simply over-ride for situations, where safety is the priority. I was doing the same when driving a G20 MHT. Otherwise a very good system.

The MHT is clearly quite a complex system and pretty clever with its use of regeneration and coasting assist. I wonder how any coding (if possible) would corrupt the full suite of functions.
To be honest, I wouldn’t consider any coding for this or any future G21, I’ve been through re-mapping, ‘tunes’ etc with my last 4 cars as I was/am into relatively big mods, the G21 is the workhorse and for me, a second car really, but that’s not to say I don’t crave that straight six
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 09:25 AM   #10
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

If MHT is anything like a proper hybrid you’ll pull away faster using electric than with the engine anyway.

Although I have to admit I haven’t driven an MHT. Love the electric pull always in my 330e though.
Appreciate 0