Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Advice On Negotiating Lease Offer

10-10-2021, 02:58 PM   #1
Inter Alia
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

Advice On Negotiating Lease Offer

Hello.

First time leaser here.

I am debating whether (1) to lease a 2022 M440i RWD that the dealer ordered itself and expects to receive by or before Thanksgiving or (2) custom order and lease my own 2022 M440i RWD, which I assume will take at least four months (but I do not know the precise timeline).

Re option (1), the car is very close to what I want in a custom order. The MSRP of the dealer car is $61,640, whereas the MSRP of my custom build is $58,145. Not a staggering difference, but enough to make me think twice about potentially "wasting" ~$3,500 (plus an additional $1,200 I will need to pay to change the color of the rims).

Here is how the dealer-ordered car differs from my custom build: (a) it has the premium package at $1,600, which I do not want, though I would add the heated seats to a custom build for $500 (meaning I am "wasting" only $1,100 on the premium package); (b) it has cerium grey rims instead of black rims (I absolutely want black rims, and the dealer says it will powder coat the rims for me for $1,200 (done by a third-party shop with which the dealer often works)); (c) it has run flat tires for an extra $600, instead of non run flat tires I would add to a custom build; and (d) it is missing the trunk close button (which looking on the BMW builder website right now, no longer appears to be an option).

Putting aside that only I can determine whether I absolutely need a car by Thanksgiving or can wait for a custom build sometime in 2022, I am curious to hear your thoughts.

Given that this dealer-ordered car does not have exactly what I want, do I have any reasonable chance of getting them to lower the price to convince me to buy a car that is close to, but not exactly, what I want? Seems in this market that I have little to no bargaining power, and so far, the dealer has not bitten when I tried this approach.

The lease terms are attached. (The dealer has already worked in aftermarket charges of $1,200 for rim powder coating and $400 for tint.) Based on what I am reading in the forum, the lease terms seem to be standard and probably leave no room to negotiate.
But if you think there are areas to push back on (like asking the dealer to cover the $1,200 powder coating cost or backing out the $600 run flat tire charge and swapping out non-run flat tires for me when the car arrives), I am all ears.

Last thing to note is that the dealer and I have not yet discussed trading in my out-of-state current BMW, using an OL code I have, and recent grad credit (assuming I can use it based on my fiancé's recent graduation, even if that means I buy the car in her name).

Thank you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 04:38 PM   #2
nealjay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inter Alia View Post
Hello.

First time leaser here.

I am debating whether (1) to lease a 2022 M440i RWD that the dealer ordered itself and expects to receive by or before Thanksgiving or (2) custom order and lease my own 2022 M440i RWD, which I assume will take at least four months (but I do not know the precise timeline).

Re option (1), the car is very close to what I want in a custom order. The MSRP of the dealer car is $61,640, whereas the MSRP of my custom build is $58,145. Not a staggering difference, but enough to make me think twice about potentially "wasting" ~$3,500 (plus an additional $1,200 I will need to pay to change the color of the rims).

Here is how the dealer-ordered car differs from my custom build: (a) it has the premium package at $1,600, which I do not want, though I would add the heated seats to a custom build for $500 (meaning I am "wasting" only $1,100 on the premium package); (b) it has cerium grey rims instead of black rims (I absolutely want black rims, and the dealer says it will powder coat the rims for me for $1,200 (done by a third-party shop with which the dealer often works)); (c) it has run flat tires for an extra $600, instead of non run flat tires I would add to a custom build; and (d) it is missing the trunk close button (which looking on the BMW builder website right now, no longer appears to be an option).

Putting aside that only I can determine whether I absolutely need a car by Thanksgiving or can wait for a custom build sometime in 2022, I am curious to hear your thoughts.

Given that this dealer-ordered car does not have exactly what I want, do I have any reasonable chance of getting them to lower the price to convince me to buy a car that is close to, but not exactly, what I want? Seems in this market that I have little to no bargaining power, and so far, the dealer has not bitten when I tried this approach.

The lease terms are attached. (The dealer has already worked in aftermarket charges of $1,200 for rim powder coating and $400 for tint.) Based on what I am reading in the forum, the lease terms seem to be standard and probably leave no room to negotiate.
But if you think there are areas to push back on (like asking the dealer to cover the $1,200 powder coating cost or backing out the $600 run flat tire charge and swapping out non-run flat tires for me when the car arrives), I am all ears.

Last thing to note is that the dealer and I have not yet discussed trading in my out-of-state current BMW, using an OL code I have, and recent grad credit (assuming I can use it based on my fiancé's recent graduation, even if that means I buy the car in her name).

Thank you.
first look around to other dealers like 30 miles away u already know u wants m440 great car now get what u want other dealers should've what u want or closer to it. they all do contactless delivery within 50 miles so u dont have to go over there to see it and talk prices and find another one talk prices compare and let them know. u can apply for financing online straight to bmw financial and get 1000 dollars off or 1500 for graduate student discount and another 1000 for bmw loyalty not sure if they will do both and then I doubt they come down on powder coat I would not get it powder coated cerium colors ugly I think and also did u get it with shadow trim makes big difference.
even get a 21 they didn't change anything other then new Aventura(sp) red color which is pretty sick but there then that its the same and get more money off cause those they gotta get rid of . and just know a few people are having long delays with the 22's even receiving them with a few things taken off like pass lumbar support and wireless charging they credit u at the end but still.
I built mine and then found it for same price 30 miles away and had it delivered, took a while but many dealerships are chains like mine came from Connecticut to upstate ny then had it delivered to queens ny. just my thoughts
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 05:48 PM   #3
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Those look like M3 prices
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 08:49 PM   #4
clearwaterms
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S4 & LS3 C6 Corvette

you should be able to do better; I would keep looking. Reach out to a few lease brokers in southern california that deliver cars. Most will tell you if they allow an order and can provide pricing and incentive information up front allowing you to calculate the payment very easily. IMHO you're squarely in the M3 lease pricing at $980 a month.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 09:47 PM   #5
dstingel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord

$980/month is too much.

Check out the leasehackr forums, plenty of brokers to at least give you an idea of the discount you can get before incentives (if there even are any).

I’d custom order if I were you. You’ll get the best discount possible and can order it exactly how you like.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 12:13 PM   #6
nealjay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m440

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstingel View Post
$980/month is too much.

Check out the leasehackr forums, plenty of brokers to at least give you an idea of the discount you can get before incentives (if there even are any).

I’d custom order if I were you. You’ll get the best discount possible and can order it exactly how you like.
I figured is u customize it u had little wiggle room on the price being it was made just for u
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 12:26 PM   #7
clearwaterms
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealjay View Post
I figured is u customize it u had little wiggle room on the price being it was made just for u
i would imagine that for most dealerships they don't really care. With inventory being low, a car that is bound for their lot will probably be ordered with a set of popular options in a popular color combo that ensures the vehicle moves quickly.

i don't think that most dealerships get additional units if they sell custom orders, they simply take a unit that would be ordered and bound for the lot and alter it to meet your requirements and are able to sell it within days of it hitting the showroom floor.

i highly recommend working with a broker if you're new to leasing (and if you're experienced leasing you probably already know about brokers). They will be able to get you the best deal possible and while there services come at a cost ($400 to $600+) they will more than likely save you more than that over the course of the loan.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2021, 02:57 PM   #8
Inter Alia
Private
Rep

Thank you, all. I appreciate the advice, especially because I have never leased before.

I had previously browsed the Leasehackr website, but admittedly, I know I was missing out on a lot of its utility (apparently dumb user issue, not blaming the website). I'll jump back into that forum and look around more, and definitely reach out to a broker. I had seen that mentioned on the forum, and with so many recommendations here, I will definitely pursue that avenue.

Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 10:10 AM   #9
clearwaterms
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, all. I appreciate the advice, especially because I have never leased before.

I had previously browsed the Leasehackr website, but admittedly, I know I was missing out on a lot of its utility (apparently dumb user issue, not blaming the website). I'll jump back into that forum and look around more, and definitely reach out to a broker. I had seen that mentioned on the forum, and with so many recommendations here, I will definitely pursue that avenue.

Much appreciated.
If you're new to leasing but not new to car buying; i recommend reading a leasing 101 guide, understand how to use the calculator on leasehackr works and how your state taxes leases and how your state taxes any incentives. Armed with this information, next go to Edmunds and look up the money factor and residual value of the vehicle in question, this will be based on duration of the lease and annual mileage, a quick google search will take you to an Edmunds forum page and if the information isn't readily available you can usually post your zip, and mileage/terms you're considering and people will usually respond within a matter of hours.

Now with all of that information you can now plug everything into the leasehackr calculator and determine what you're payment should be and then when you apply different incentives and sale price discounts what your revised payment should be.

In normal car market times, I always use the rough math of a payment should be at or less than 1% of the MSRP of the vehicle before taxes, title, registration, etc. So if you're buying a $60k car in Illinois you would be at around $3500~$5000 out of pocket at closing and you're payment would be around $600 a month. This has worked for each of the last 3 leases and typically represents an okay deal.

On a 330 using a lease broker I managed to get a 330i xdrive factory ordered (once it shows up) with an MSRP of $51,645 for $520 a month (estimating) and around $3500 out of pocket (taxes, title, license, doc, and first payment). 340's have a much smaller discount but you should still be able to get in one for much less than you were originally quoted.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 11:39 AM   #10
Inter Alia
Private
Rep

Thank you, clearwaterms. I'm going to do all of that -- no one has ever called me lazy when it comes to research. Hah!

Per suggestions of everyone here, I have been talking to brokers, and their offers are much better than what the dealer is offering. Granted, the dealer had not yet accounted for recent grad and OL code, so the brokers have an unfair leg up on the original dealer offer I received and posted here. Also, the brokers are doing my custom build, which is cheaper than the dealer car. This means the brokers are pricing me at $59,140 MSRP, instead of the dealer car with an MSRP of $61,140. Another orange throwing off my attempted apple to apple comparison.

But here are offers I'm receiving from brokers on a $59,140 MSRP custom build with loyalty, OL, and recent grad + all multiple security deposits, on a three year lease with 10K miles:

For L.A. pickup and registration in CA with broker companies Omega Auto Group or Autopia: $2,750 down and $777 per month (they offered slightly different numbers, but this is the lower of the two)

For Phoenix pickup and registration in AZ with broker company Lease Companion: $2,508 down and $687 per month

Not sure how Phoenix / Lease Companion is so much cheaper. I am looking into that, as slightly lower tax rate in Phoenix should not drop the costs this much. And I need to research the brokers in general, but they appear to have sizeable presences on Leasehackr, so I assume they are reputable.

In any event, I appreciate the progress I have already made so far due to suggestions from the friendly experts here. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 02:32 AM   #11
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
Those look like M3 prices
Lol exactly what I was thinking. 1% rule is a good start usually.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 12:33 PM   #12
Inter Alia
Private
Rep

Here is the deal I am planning to take, unless someone here convinces me I am overpaying and can easily get a better deal. This is the best quote I have received from various brokers.

Custom order 2022 M440i; pickup in Phoenix; MSRP of $59,640 (including the $995 destination and handling fee); 3 year lease; 10K miles; seven MSDs totaling $4,900; $2,484 due at signing; $686 monthly (with Phoenix tax); loyalty and recent grad discounts (I was told I cannot use my OL code because this is a new, custom build); and a separate $499 broker fee

Leasehackr score of 7.4 and all calculator info filled in by the broker:

https://leasehackr.com/calculator?ma...w_demo_25=true

I welcome any thoughts as I near the finish line here. Thank you again for all of the guidance.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 03:22 PM   #13
clearwaterms
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here is the deal I am planning to take, unless someone here convinces me I am overpaying and can easily get a better deal. This is the best quote I have received from various brokers.

Custom order 2022 M440i; pickup in Phoenix; MSRP of $59,640 (including the $995 destination and handling fee); 3 year lease; 10K miles; seven MSDs totaling $4,900; $2,484 due at signing; $686 monthly (with Phoenix tax); loyalty and recent grad discounts (I was told I cannot use my OL code because this is a new, custom build); and a separate $499 broker fee

Leasehackr score of 7.4 and all calculator info filled in by the broker:

https://leasehackr.com/calculator?ma...w_demo_25=true

I welcome any thoughts as I near the finish line here. Thank you again for all of the guidance.
That is great, significantly less expensive than you were originally quoted, i'm glad you found such a great deal.

does that include CA license plates fees? Do you have to pay tax in Arizona and again in California? I ask because that may change your pricing.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 05:56 PM   #14
Inter Alia
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post
That is great, significantly less expensive than you were originally quoted, i'm glad you found such a great deal.

does that include CA license plates fees? Do you have to pay tax in Arizona and again in California? I ask because that may change your pricing.
Thanks in part to you offering great advice I was able to secure a MUCH better deal. Thank you again!

I will register the car in AZ. I am originally from there, still have an AZ license, and visit often because my parents are there. I will not be registering the car in CA. The quote does not include my AZ registration, which is another $850 or so.

I did not explicitly ask about CA tax, but I assume no -- just AZ tax. The only tie this car will have to CA is that I actually live in L.A. and will drive it here, but it will just look like an AZ guy driving his car in CA. But feel free to say my assumption is way off and I will do so digging.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 06:46 PM   #15
clearwaterms
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks in part to you offering great advice I was able to secure a MUCH better deal. Thank you again!

I will register the car in AZ. I am originally from there, still have an AZ license, and visit often because my parents are there. I will not be registering the car in CA. The quote does not include my AZ registration, which is another $850 or so.

I did not explicitly ask about CA tax, but I assume no -- just AZ tax. The only tie this car will have to CA is that I actually live in L.A. and will drive it here, but it will just look like an AZ guy driving his car in CA. But feel free to say my assumption is way off and I will do so digging.
nope i'm pretty sure you're correct, you pay taxes where you get your plates from... so in your case that means AZ, congrats on the new car please be sure to post pictures when you get it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 07:19 PM   #16
Inter Alia
Private
Rep

Absolutely re pics. Going to be a long wait though.
Appreciate 0