Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Warm Up Question

04-28-2023, 11:27 AM   #1
Rocketman123
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW Golf R

Warm Up Question

Random question on my "work day routine":

The best opportunity for any good acceleration first thing in the morning is between my house and the freeway which is about 3-4 miles away. Otherwise traffic prevents it :-)

I've been experimenting by letting my engine idle in my garage for 15 minutes so the oil temperature is ~220-225 deg. Once that's done can I just drive it hard right away? Or do I need to actually drive a few miles to get the transmission warmed, up or some other reason, if that makes sense? That would essentially defeat the purpose for my commute.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 11:32 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman123 View Post
Random question on my "work day routine":

The best opportunity for any good acceleration first thing in the morning is between my house and the freeway which is about 3-4 miles away. Otherwise traffic prevents it :-)

I've been experimenting by letting my engine idle in my garage for 15 minutes so the oil temperature is ~220-225 deg. Once that's done can I just drive it hard right away? Or do I need to actually drive a few miles to get the transmission warmed, up or some other reason, if that makes sense? That would essentially defeat the purpose for my commute.
Fastest engine warm up is driving, not idling. Same for the transmission.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2023, 09:36 PM   #3
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X (2020 G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Fastest engine warm up is driving, not idling. Same for the transmission.
Yeah, we know, that's obvious.

His question relates to the fact that he has such a short trip and wants to enjoy the entire trip - not be waiting/driving while the engine warms up. So if he warms the car up just parked - that will warm up the coolant and engine oil, but his question is - will the gearbox be sufficiently warmed up for spirited driving by warming the car up while parked?

That is what the OP wants to know.

My answer, and I am guessing, is that the gearbox will not be warmed up as it has done no work sitting there in P / N (the input shaft to the gearbox will not even be spinning.) So I wouldn't go driving hard until the gearbox has actually warmed up.

The only way I can see to get the gearbox warmed up while parked, is to put the gearbox in D (drive) with the handbrake on and let the car warm up. Then at least the gearbox oil will warm up.

As stated its not the best way to warm the car up, but if you want to take advantage of a shot drive without warming the car up while driving, that'd be the way I do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 02:57 AM   #4
unfinedandunfiltered
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mineral/Tacora M340i

I start the car, let it run long enough that the oil temp meter goes above 120 (white bar appears on oil temp gauge) and then start driving with no full boost/redline runs until it’s at 210.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 12:52 PM   #5
Rocketman123
Private
Rep

Thanks guys, yes that was my question. I could have stated it more clearly. I really have no idea how long it takes for the gearbox to warm up so I normally go off of oil temp.

Which brings me to my other question which I tried to ask in a separate thread with no response. For my 2023 M340i I can't figure out a way to display the oil temp aside from going into sport mode and selecting "live vehicle". Is there another way to get the oil temp to display?

Ideally I'd like to be able to see it all the time, but I think in this model car what the dash really shows is coolant temp right? It only takes a couple minutes for that to warm up vs 5-10 minutes for the oil temp. Just one of those little things that bug me :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 07:37 PM   #6
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X (2020 G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman123 View Post
Thanks guys, yes that was my question. I could have stated it more clearly. I really have no idea how long it takes for the gearbox to warm up so I normally go off of oil temp.

Which brings me to my other question which I tried to ask in a separate thread with no response. For my 2023 M340i I can't figure out a way to display the oil temp aside from going into sport mode and selecting "live vehicle". Is there another way to get the oil temp to display?

Ideally I'd like to be able to see it all the time, but I think in this model car what the dash really shows is coolant temp right? It only takes a couple minutes for that to warm up vs 5-10 minutes for the oil temp. Just one of those little things that bug me :-)
Ok so a couple of things. 1. While oil temp is a good indication of gearbox temp, that is only the case WHILE driving, not sitting at idle (Neutral or Park). When the car is warming up sitting at idle (N or P) the gearbox is NOT getting warmed up, at all, regardless of your oil temp.

2. Yes, the only oil temp gauge is in the sports gauges display in center screen. The main screen (bottom right) is water temp. Unless you get the M display module then it changes the water temp to oil temp on main dash.

I have installed a P3 gauge which shows me all number of things. I bought it so I had a constant boost gauge, but when I start the car I switch it to oil temp and when the oil reaches the right temp, then I switch it to boost gauge.

https://www.p3cars.com/
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 10:43 PM   #7
Rocketman123
Private
Rep

Thanks - I'll check that out!
Appreciate 0