Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK M340i Lead Times

10-14-2021, 02:14 AM   #1
MD707
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

M340i Lead Times

Out of curiosity, got a valuation for my 2020 M340 Touring and almost choked on my coffee. Seems sensible to take advantage and trade for a new one, but no idea on lead times at the moment. For those ordering…

- how longs the wait?
- are you getting a reasonable discount on new or paying closer to list?
- is HK or HUD missing?

Thanks in advance….
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 03:21 AM   #2
330Stevie
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xdrive

I looked in Sept, defo no wireless charging and no guarantee on HK. Now I hear of no HUD. I went auc in the end. I’d hang on to what you have?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 03:25 AM   #3
MD707
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Stevie View Post
I looked in Sept, defo no wireless charging and no guarantee on HK. Now I hear of no HUD. I went auc in the end. I’d hang on to what you have?
Hmmm frustrating. Wireless charging is rubbish (gets scratched and cooks the phone) but HK and HUD are a must.

They're offering more than I paid for it in Mar 2020...but of course, if everything I can swap for is up too...its a doomed endeavour
Appreciate 1
330Stevie298.00
      10-14-2021, 06:04 AM   #4
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

While these secondhand/trade-in prices are undoubtedly tempting, I'd echo 330Stevie's advice and be inclined to cling on to what you already have the benefit of enjoying. If I'm right in assuming you've got a 2020 version of the 40i, then that's going to sound better than the newer MHT iteration anyway. And although, I think the availability on options continues to bobble around a bit (with some reports saying that HK and HUD are still being reserved for the M340i/M3 end of the range), there's clearly no guarantee--and build-specs are being updated without much warning. Like you, HUD in particular would be essential for me, and therefore a dealbreaker if it were unavailable.

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 2
      10-14-2021, 06:26 AM   #5
330Stevie
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xdrive

To add…..It was lack of HK that was the deal breaker for me, no way I could have standard having had HK in my f30. Also did not want to start with after market hifi , not for me. Now I have hud also wouldn’t want to be without it……
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 07:56 AM   #6
MD707
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys,

Ticking every box including sunroof (which I couldn't get at the time) as well as M seats were my driver, but not at the lost of HK and HUD sadly. And the exhaust noise would definitely be an issue if it's as bad as people are saying....shame
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 10:57 AM   #7
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21-M340i View Post
Out of curiosity, got a valuation for my 2020 M340 Touring and almost choked on my coffee. Seems sensible to take advantage and trade for a new one
I suppose it depends to some extent on what you paid for your car last year but, while the value on mine also appears healthy, the discounts on new ones seem to be nowhere near as good as they were 18 or 20 months ago. Therefore, even assuming I could still get exactly the spec I want, I'm not sure I'd gain much if anything by changing as the inflated second-hand value would be offset to a large extent by the higher post-discount cost of the new one.

To me the only way you really benefit from the current high second-hand values is if either a) you're selling a car you don't intend to replace or b) you're replacing with something where even in a normal market you wouldn't get a better discount than what's on offer today (so say something like a Porsche or Tesla). But if you're replacing a BMW on which you could always get a good discount with another one on which the discount is much lower I'm not sure I see the point?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 01:05 PM   #8
MD707
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Agreed, being quoted 10% off for a new one; nowhere near the 18-20% of last year.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 01:55 PM   #9
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

It's encouraging to hear what the valuations are and it did get me thinking. I'd certainly have a few thousand equity but the only thing I'd probably exchange for would be the I4 M50i.
I'd lose the practicality of the G21 and the sound though.
I'm not sure what the figures would be on the i4 and not sure that I want to. I imagine the discount wouldn't be much but the GFV may be high. Good in one way but not so if I'd be looking to buy and keep it at the end. I also got a fantastic discount on the M340i.
I'm fairly confident that the value of my G21 M340i will be a reasonable amount more than the GFV at the end of the agreement, probably similar to the equity I have now, but who knows, things may change.
I think I'll stick with the G21. It really is a perfect all rounder. I'm struggling to fault it 16 months in. It's even done a fair few trips to the dump.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 02:00 PM   #10
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

I was told by my dealer yesterday that HK and HUD is M cars only and not even M Perf now.

Discounts are also interesting. They can sell every car they can [actually] build with no over-production currently. So discounts are becoming harder. Zero discount on a 1 series they said! Long lead times on X cars from US (~10 months).

Last edited by G82Dude; 10-14-2021 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 02:51 AM   #11
HeebieJeebies
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 320 xdrive Diesel

Just read this morning a report in Reuter’s that European new car sales are down 25%, due in whole to the semiconductor shortage. I’m unclear as to whether this is a combination of production cuts on top of the specs of manufacturers models being reduced, helping to lead to a drop in production/sales.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 01:13 AM   #12
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN View Post
It's encouraging to hear what the valuations are and it did get me thinking. I'd certainly have a few thousand equity but the only thing I'd probably exchange for would be the I4 M50i.
I'm not sure what the figures would be on the i4 and not sure that I want to. I imagine the discount wouldn't be much but the GFV may be high. Good in one way but not so if I'd be looking to buy and keep it at the end. I also got a fantastic discount on the M340i.
I'm fairly confident that the value of my G21 M340i will be a reasonable amount more than the GFV at the end of the agreement, probably similar to the equity I have now, but who knows, things may change.
I think I'll stick with the G21. It really is a perfect all rounder. I'm struggling to fault it 16 months in. It's even done a fair few trips to the dump.
I was also looking at the i4 M50. But to replace a F31 340i. My car has gained about £8k and I have solid equity. However, the cost of an i4 M50 is £14k more than an equivalent 440i GC…
£8k more list price and 2% more APR on PCP and no manufacturer contribution…
I contemplated all the numbers and a G21 340i is the cheapest option of a new car. So, holding onto my own ageing F31 340i until things make more sense.
I bought out my PCP in September 2020 when I couldn't get a factory build and I'm still enjoying my RWD 340i…
I want all my existing options and do not want to downgrade anything. HK is, in my opinion, even more essential in a quiet i4!
Waiting on an i4 test drive next month and then will see the lie of the land…
      10-17-2021, 03:46 AM   #13
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN View Post
I was also looking at the i4 M50. But to replace a F31 340i. My car has gained about £8k and I have solid equity. However, the cost of an i4 M50 is £14k more than an equivalent 440i GC…
£8k more list price and 2% more APR on PCP and no manufacturer contribution…
I contemplated all the numbers and a G21 340i is the cheapest option of a new car. So, holding onto my own ageing F31 340i until things make more sense.
I bought out my PCP in September 2020 when I couldn't get a factory build and I'm still enjoying my RWD 340i…
I want all my existing options and do not want to downgrade anything. HK is, in my opinion, even more essential in a quiet i4!
Waiting on an i4 test drive next month and then will see the lie of the land…
I hear you.
The options really make the day to day living.
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 01:31 PM   #14
Spectre1
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 335d G20 m340i

Quote:
Out of curiosity, got a valuation for my 2020 M340 Touring and almost choked on my coffee. Seems sensible to take advantage and trade for a new one, but no idea on lead times at the moment. For those ordering…

- how longs the wait?
- is HK or HUD missing?

Thanks in advance….
Hey,
I just ordered my M340i last week. To address your points.

-Was looking at stock M340s when I was offered a staff members build slot at the dealership I bought from...early December so just short of a 2 months. However I was told at other dealers it would be April/March.
-I got low discount given the build slot offer but was told they arent doing as big a discount for the M340 as they were in the first quaters.
-No HK and HUD is still available for M cars and M lites.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 12:44 AM   #15
jdc0907
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre1 View Post
Quote:

- how longs the wait?
- is HK or HUD missing?

Thanks in advance….
Hey,
I just ordered my M340i last week. To address your points.

-Was looking at stock M340s when I was offered a staff members build slot at the dealership I bought from...early December so just short of a 2 months. However I was told at other dealers it would be April/March.
-I got low discount given the build slot offer but was told they arent doing as big a discount for the M340 as they were in the first quaters.
-No HK and HUD is still available for M cars and M lites.

Cheers.
This is identical to what I was told at my dealer (Sytner High Wycombe) when I ordered 4weeks ago, car is due to be delivered in December.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 11:21 AM   #16
h4bvn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

Quote:

- how longs the wait?
- is HK or HUD missing?

Thanks in advance….
I managed to get a spec amendable build slot last week, its due for delivery last week of Nov / First week of Dec.

Both HUD and HK available and specced on my car.

I was lucky to get a car at that stage just before the spec was locked in. Other than that if you are looking at a fresh factory build they said Feb/March for delivery.

I negotiated a 10% percent deal which I was happy with. I part exchanged my 540i xdrive which I purchased used in February of this year (9 months ago) they gave me £4000 equity!! All in all very happy with this.

hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 11:43 AM   #17
P-ToK72
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4bvn View Post
I managed to get a spec amendable build slot last week, its due for delivery last week of Nov / First week of Dec.

I was lucky to get a car at that stage just before the spec was locked in. Other than that if you are looking at a fresh factory build they said Feb/March for delivery.

I negotiated a 10% percent deal which I was happy with. I part exchanged my 540i xdrive which I purchased used in February of this year (9 months ago) they gave me £4000 equity!! All in all very happy with this.

hope this helps
I don't know what to believe TBH. A few weeks ago it was reported that HUD would still be available on M Performance models but since there have been a couple of people saying that they have been told otherwise and have either been removed or orders cancelled.

If my dealer knows anything he is not telling me.

I just don't want it to be a last minute "oh by the way" conversation when the car is about to be built.

Currently driving G21 M340i Touring
Previous F40 M135i and F31 335d Touring
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 11:49 AM   #18
h4bvn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-ToK72 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4bvn View Post

hope this helps
I don't know what to believe TBH. A few weeks ago it was reported that HUD would still be available on M Performance models but since there have been a couple of people saying that they have been told otherwise and have either been removed or orders cancelled.

I just don't want it to be a last minute "oh by the way" conversation when the car is about to be built.
Completely understand, it's confusing. For example a friend of mine works at the mini dealership attached to my local BMW they cannot get HK at all.

I was conscious of this so made sure to double check everything. I got the sales person to send me photos/screen of shots of the ordering system called IVS/SA3. This confirmed that everything I required was on the car. It's still at 1200 status at the moment which is spec amendable but once it moves to the next stage it will mean the car is going in to build. Once it does I'll ask for more photos to confirm that the hk and hud is confirmed in the build.

Either way it's stated on the order form so if there is any problems it's on them. But as it stands I'm confident HK and HUD are available as my local dealer had no doubt it would be on the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 11:54 AM   #19
Nyad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

Hmm, if they take HUD off my order, I'm returning it! Think I can do this up to two weeks after delivery under distance selling regs. Would prefer to have car, but a little piece of mind there, not sure if that covers your situation.

My Sep order is now looking at delivery in early Feb, but dealer didn't mention anything about more deletions toady.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 12:10 PM   #20
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyad View Post
Hmm, if they take HUD off my order, I'm returning it! Think I can do this up to two weeks after delivery under distance selling regs.
Might need to double check that. I vaguely recall there being a caveat on the sales order contract that said something along the lines of "BMW can add and remove items as necessary and you won't be able to cancel the order".
Not sure how much they would look to enforce that though in the current climate.
      10-20-2021, 01:33 PM   #21
h4bvn
Enlisted Member
Rep

If it arrives without HUD or HK ill simply not sign any further paperwork and walk away!

This seems positive however..

https://min.news/en/auto/34ac1c36584...b90cf9572.html

Last edited by h4bvn; 10-20-2021 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 01:51 PM   #22
h4bvn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-ToK72 View Post

...I've done some research, if you look at the BMW configurator online and try to build for example an X3 with the Tech pack (HUD and HK) it says it only includes gesture control. However when building the M340i you can select tech pack and it includes HUD and HK is also an option. That matches what I have read elsewhere.

So it appears that we are the lucky ones and HUD / HK is available on M340I, M340D AND 330e.

GOOD NEWS.
Appreciate 0