Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Smoked by an old lady in a Tesla Model 3!!!!

Closed Thread

10-17-2021, 01:42 AM   #45
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Tesla I respect what they have done with the drive train
Their body shells appear to be strong and safe

That's the the only respect I have though

Styling - I know subjective, but think it's bland, and it looks like it was designed by numbers with no human feeling about it, a white good.

Ergonomics, that tablet slapped in the middle, so you have to look to the side to see your speed, so your eyes are not on the road at that point
Same goes for anything else, no knobs or buttons that you touch by feel without taking your eyes away from the road
For ergonomics I think it's an absolute disaster and frankly surprised it pass type approval for that. ( I've seen one video about the impending speed limiters in the EU next year that it may fall foul of those regulation as it cannot display the current speed limit IN FRONT of the driver)

I think the car looks cheap ( again a subjective view)

These views are enough in mind to not even try one.
Appreciate 2
      10-17-2021, 02:39 AM   #46
VICG20M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Tesla I respect what they have done with the drive train
Their body shells appear to be strong and safe

That's the the only respect I have though

Styling - I know subjective, but think it's bland, and it looks like it was designed by numbers with no human feeling about it, a white good.

Ergonomics, that tablet slapped in the middle, so you have to look to the side to see your speed, so your eyes are not on the road at that point
Same goes for anything else, no knobs or buttons that you touch by feel without taking your eyes away from the road
For ergonomics I think it's an absolute disaster and frankly surprised it pass type approval for that. ( I've seen one video about the impending speed limiters in the EU next year that it may fall foul of those regulation as it cannot display the current speed limit IN FRONT of the driver)

I think the car looks cheap ( again a subjective view)

These views are enough in mind to not even try one.
They drive great, the model 3 is very sporty and handles incredibly well. You have to get the performance in order to access more customization on drive modes but the long range is a great car.

Only issue I have with Tesla overall is they're service dept is slow and parts are always on back order, if you get in a fender bender and need body work it takes months which doesn't make sense when they can build a whole car in weeks.

They're build quality is still behind, squeaks, rattles, on the interior and exterior trim, hood, doors never line up perfectly.

If you can get over their flaws it's a great car, I tried to get a model 3 before my G20 but orders won't come until march 22'
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 03:03 AM   #47
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICG20M View Post
If you can get over their flaws it's a great car, I tried to get a model 3 before my G20 but orders won't come until march 22'
Yeah same here, so I bought a G20 330i as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 07:07 PM   #48
Rux
Captain
Rep
Drives: Little of this, little of that

Garage List
2024 BMW G42  [0.00]
2022 BMW G82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipstic View Post
Says the guy with 1 post...
Every brand of vehicle I have ever owned has forums where this type of thing happens constantly. I do not get it. Energy Vampire maybe?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 09:49 PM   #49
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipstic View Post
Says the guy with 1 post...
+1 The guy registers to post this, give me a break!
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 1
BMW11279.00
      10-17-2021, 10:53 PM   #50
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
+1 The guy registers to post this, give me a break!
Yeah and whats with the OP pointing out it was a "lady" and "old"? What's age and gender got to do with it? lol
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 03:33 AM   #51
Smiller155
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 430i

Garage List
2021 BMW 430i  [0.00]
Its not just about acceleration...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMarcia View Post
True story. I never drove a Tesla. It probably is not as engaging as an internal combustion engine and is way too quiet.
Look, I spent 3 months exhaustively trying to convince myself to like the Tesla Model 3. 4 test drives (1 overnight due to Covid). I seriously cannot figure out the enthusiasm of this car?!

I actually like the exterior design (even though they are everywhere) and the cool clean interior. And I really like the idea of an electric car without all the moving parts to repair. I have 2 friends who love theirs except both are plagued by misaligned body parts and minor flaws.

But driving experience? Ughhh...that lady is correct--it feels like a golf cart! The acceleration is fast, but there's no thrill to it--no gut engine punch. Just smooth quickness that you don't really notice unless you really punch it. The handling felt sloppy too. An ultimate driving machine it is not.

The biggest deal breaker was the lack of amenities. At the time, it still had a manual trunk. No options available other than wheels and black or white interior. And I really didn't want to spend thousands of dollars for aftermarket gadgets from unknown companies just to get the little creature comforts like a digital speedometer, interior led lighting, power trunk, etc. And there's no Apple Carplay. I also hated having to use the fixed mounted iPad screen to do simple tasks like adjusting the air vents, lights, wipers, etc. Its super annoying and dangerous if you need reader glasses.

I ended up with a 430 and so glad I did. I love my car. It's not as fast as my previous 440 but it's fast enough most of the time for me. I love the interior lighting, design and most importantly, the driving feel. I will seriously look into the i4 in about 2 years when my lease is up. I suspect it will drive better than the Model 3 that feels like it was designed by Apple software engineers.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 08:38 AM   #52
Colliwobbles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

“If you can get over their flaws it's a great car” …. By definition then a Tesla can’t be a great car!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 12:39 PM   #53
elambo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M440i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colliwobbles View Post
“If you can get over their flaws it's a great car” …. By definition then a Tesla can’t be a great car!
What car is without flaws? My BMW has several, and if we include subjective flaws then it has several more, but I'd still call it a great car.
Appreciate 2
      10-18-2021, 07:53 PM   #54
VICG20M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Quote:
"If you can get over their flaws it's a great car" …. By definition then a Tesla can't be a great car!
With global sales nearly 400k YTD they sure as hell aren't building a crap car and the other guy is right on, all cars have flaws. Some more then others!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 02:05 AM   #55
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I'd argue that sales figures doesn't mean it's necessarily a good product, or at least not a bad one

Generalising , many people buy products that they are happy with that you and I may feel is not as good as it could be. People may have lower standards if I can term it that way.

Can apply this just about to anything

I think it's fair to say that is on this forum care more about cars than most , so we arguably have higher expectations about a car . Many people who don't have an interest in cars would be quite happy with a certain model where as we may not
Appreciate 1
BMR_CK35.00
      10-19-2021, 03:28 PM   #56
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

I think Tesla customers usually are not too informed of safety related issues of their cars.

E.g. NHTSA is scrutinizing Tesla on OTAs that should be safety recall rather than hidden updates, plus NDAs with FSB beta users.

And Tesla's vision-only system works up to 80mph, when BMW's ACC works up to 130mph.

And Tesla is confident that its 6000+ metal jacks are good enough for thermal runaways, while BMW and others build reinforcement partitions around batteries.

I was set to get a Model 3 early this year, and I prepared myself mentally by visualizing not getting hit in all circumstances. Obviously it does seem to be a bit of a gamble and/or wishful thinking.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2021, 12:28 AM   #57
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICG20M View Post
Quote:
"If you can get over their flaws it's a great car" …. By definition then a Tesla can't be a great car!
With global sales nearly 400k YTD they sure as hell aren't building a crap car and the other guy is right on, all cars have flaws. Some more then others!
I think a lot of Tesla owners are just following the 'trend' since Tesla is like the BMW and Mercedes of EV cars.

Bet you if it had a Ford badge on it, it wouldn't be nowhere near as popular. The model 3 is a very basic looking vehicle, except it's just fast.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 06:47 AM   #58
SportySpice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

And they say Tesla doesn't advertise.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread