Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Suspension debate - adaptive or not?

02-17-2020, 05:40 AM   #89
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Have you tried the Adaptive mode? BMW state the Adaptive mode has a comfort bias. Many find due to its ability to 'stiffen' a bit on demand, it is more comfortable to drive, as the body stays more composed.
This is the setting I use most. As you say it adapts to your driving style. I use sport when I want a more spirited drive.

I wish they would allow the last “mode” selected to be saved. I see this can be coded but it should be a standard function.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 06:08 AM   #90
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Have you tried the Adaptive mode? BMW state the Adaptive mode has a comfort bias. Many find due to its ability to 'stiffen' a bit on demand, it is more comfortable to drive, as the body stays more composed.

I've no experience in the Gxx models with adaptive suspension, but it makes sense as it gives a mid range, similar to the Normal 'middle' mode in my F11. In my car Comfort gives the softest ride, but push on a bit and it is not as composed as running Normal mode, where better body control, without losing 'comfort' makes for the more balanced and better drive.

In technical terms the damper mapping is also more balanced around the spring rate. It has been an issue with the Fxx models with only the two base adaptive settings, not so matched to the spring rate. Adaptive Mode should help improve that, particularly for drivers who want comfort, but drive more enthusiastically.
I haven't used adaptive mode only because it cycles your throttle and transmission mapping as well. It's like the "smart" mode on other brands.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 06:27 AM   #91
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
I haven't used adaptive mode only because it cycles your throttle and transmission mapping as well. It's like the "smart" mode on other brands.
Is that a problem? Don't you want that to happen, if you start working the chassis more during a drive?

I need to get some seat time in an M340i, see how it works in Adaptive mode, compared to how I use the modes in my current car while I drive. Adaptive mode appeals to me.

I can use all the modes in my car, driving a trip through the Highlands. Driving the A9 with average speed cameras, you just sit there cruising/wafting along. Get off the A9 onto the twisty (mountain) stuff, I want the chassis to liven up. Then get back on easy sections, just to back off again. I think 'Adaptive Mode' could become my mode of choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 06:33 AM   #92
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Is that a problem? Don't you want that to happen, if you start working the chassis more during a drive?

I need to get some seat time in an M340i, see how it works in Adaptive mode, compared to how I use the modes in my current car while I drive. Adaptive mode appeals to me.

I can use all the modes in my car, driving a trip through the Highlands. Driving the A9 with average speed cameras, you just sit there cruising/wafting along. Get off the A9 onto the twisty (mountain) stuff, I want the chassis to liven up. Then get back on easy sections, just to back off again. I think 'Adaptive Mode' could become my mode of choice.
I don't want that. I like set parameters which is why I have my mode set to Sport Individual almost all the time. It's more predictable for how I drive. I flip between that and Sport Plus depending on my drive.
Appreciate 2
urbo7357.00
      02-17-2020, 06:49 AM   #93
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
I don't want that. I like set parameters which is why I have my mode set to Sport Individual almost all the time. It's more predictable for how I drive. I flip between that and Sport Plus depending on my drive.
That is what is great about the 'modes' and being able to select our settings. More choice, to suit more drivers.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 06:56 AM   #94
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That is what is great about the 'modes' and being able to select our settings. More choice, to suit more drivers.
Agreed! I'll fiddle around with adaptive as I get more comfortable with the car. Maybe it will be something I'll use at times.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 07:32 PM   #95
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
after a few thousand miles with comfort+ enabled on adaptive suspension, it does feel as though it softens the bumps even more, definitely a worthwhile option
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 06:49 AM   #96
Denis93
Russia
Rep
Drives: 2019 320d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegester View Post
after a few thousand miles with comfort+ enabled on adaptive suspension, it does feel as though it softens the bumps even more, definitely a worthwhile option
Do you feel any difference going over a speed bumps in comfort vs comfort+?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #97
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I dont feel much of difference over bumps with Comfort+ enabled. What I do notice is the transmission behavior and throttle input seem a little more relaxed.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 10:35 AM   #98
RoundRound
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 330e M Sport

Hello People,
I have an F30 330e and thinking of upgrading to the G20 (330e) - the main issue I have with the F30 (M sport suspension) is that it's brilliant in sporty driving but just normal town or UK highways it seriously sucks - and that's on 18" wheels, the G20 has to have 19" (To get the adaptive suspension - which sounds very appealing to me). I switched to 'go flat tires which seemed to improve it a bit.

My question is - does adaptive suspension in comfort mode more comfortable than F30 M sport suspension?
Another question is about Xdrive, assuming I don't drive in snow is it worth it? I read it messes up the classy RWD handling.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 01:50 AM   #99
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundRound View Post
Hello People,
I have an F30 330e and thinking of upgrading to the G20 (330e) - the main issue I have with the F30 (M sport suspension) is that it's brilliant in sporty driving but just normal town or UK highways it seriously sucks - and that's on 18" wheels, the G20 has to have 19" (To get the adaptive suspension - which sounds very appealing to me). I switched to 'go flat tires which seemed to improve it a bit.

My question is - does adaptive suspension in comfort mode more comfortable than F30 M sport suspension?
Another question is about Xdrive, assuming I don't drive in snow is it worth it? I read it messes up the classy RWD handling.

Thank you!
I test dove an M340I a few days ago and quite frankly there is no way I would buy it without the adaptive suspension. I found the ride quality is just too harsh on bumpy roads. I have a Z4 M40I and also an X3 M40I. Both have adaptive suspension and I like how it works.

Rob
Appreciate 0