Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions A few niggles

08-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
lukas125
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

A few niggles

My 330i is an awsome car and i'm really pleased with it, but as with any car i have a few niggles and wondering if anyone has a solution maybe i've missed...

Exhaust rattle on startup. Sounds like a loose heatshield or something. Need to take it in to get looked at.

When trip details are showing in the rev-counter, is there any way to cycle through Individual/Ex Works/Last Refuel without going through idrive?

Occasional major lack of accelerator response in comfort mode. Eg slowing down towards roundabout then see a gap and want to get out...foot down... nothing happens.

Carplay!

Fixed seatbelt buckles are positioned so my kids car seats are covering them, which makes it really difficult for them to buckle up. This is a massive headache for me! Is there anyway to pop them loose?!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 11:51 AM   #2
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

The exhaust rattle was an issue on the F30s as well (at least for my 340i). What I found is that it's probably due to the valve being closed when the exhaust is cold. Combined with the increased rev idle during startup caused the rattle. As soon as the exhaust warms up the rattling stops even with the valve closed.

However ever since I did the golf tee mod I haven't gotten any rattles.

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #3
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Re the accelerator response. My theory is.....I think that this is down to the fact the car coasts/freewheels. In the case you describe which I have noticed myself is the engine appears to drop to idle as you coast up to the junction, then the car is not sure whether you are going to stop or accelerate. When you press the accelerator the first action I think I see is the engine matching back to the gearbox speed and then it usually realises you are in too high a gear and changes down prior to car accelerating again. What I do in this case if I think about in time is to change down on the paddles.
Ok I have only driven about 300 miles so far and haven't had much time to experiment but I had a similar sensation with my 435i which could get caught in the wrong gear coming on to a roundabout, and used to use the paddles for smoothest swift progress. Being less of a boy racer than in my youth I haven't tried the hurtle up to the roundabout, braking heavily and flooring the throttle approach which may also work!
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2019, 05:10 PM   #4
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I used to use seatbelt extenders for carseats in my F30 and F80. Lifesavers.

"E4 SAFETY CERTIFIED 3" Car Seat Belt Extender - E4 Safety Certified - Type A - Buckles Right In!"

Unfortunately Amazon doesn't carry the exact ones I had purchased before. There's a bunch of others. I think they just have to be "Type A"

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2019, 07:42 AM   #5
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i. 2013 328i

At first glance... I thought the title of this post said something else..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:53 AM   #6
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Be careful if you use a seat belt extender for a booster seat, there are some suggestions online that say it is not safe to use these for booster seats because it alters the belt path. Not an expert - but I have the exact same problem and thought it was a good idea so did some quick searching.

In particular this website says it is never safe - https://childsafetylink.ca/wp-conten...ster-seat1.pdf

"Can I use a seatbelt extender for a booster seat?
No, it is never safe to use a seatbelt extender with a booster seat. The extender changes the location of the buckle,
which then changes the starting point and angle of the shoulder belt, which could lead to an injury."
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 09:18 AM   #7
lukas125
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
Be careful if you use a seat belt extender for a booster seat, there are some suggestions online that say it is not safe to use these for booster seats because it alters the belt path. Not an expert - but I have the exact same problem and thought it was a good idea so did some quick searching.

In particular this website says it is never safe - https://childsafetylink.ca/wp-conten...ster-seat1.pdf

No, it is never safe to use a seatbelt extender with a booster seat. The extender changes the location of the buckle,
which then changes the starting point and angle of the shoulder belt, which could lead to an injury."
Yeah i did some looking around and saw the same thing. The other option will be to look for some new child seats which have a narrower base, but the G20 must have a real narrow space between outer seat edge and buckle because i don't remember having this problem in other cars. Or maybe they had loose rather than fixed buckles.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 09:19 AM   #8
lukas125
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiner0123 View Post
At first glance... I thought the title of this post said something else..
I'm that niggle guy
Appreciate 2
      08-13-2019, 08:09 PM   #9
G20.rjm
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas125 View Post
My 330i is an awsome car and i'm really pleased with it, but as with any car i have a few niggles and wondering if anyone has a solution maybe i've missed...

Exhaust rattle on startup. Sounds like a loose heatshield or something. Need to take it in to get looked at.

When trip details are showing in the rev-counter, is there any way to cycle through Individual/Ex Works/Last Refuel without going through idrive?

Occasional major lack of accelerator response in comfort mode. Eg slowing down towards roundabout then see a gap and want to get out...foot down... nothing happens.

Carplay!

Fixed seatbelt buckles are positioned so my kids car seats are covering them, which makes it really difficult for them to buckle up. This is a massive headache for me! Is there anyway to pop them loose?!
According to the manual, in Eco Pro or Comfort mode, the vehicle uses "coasting" to reduce fuel consumption. The engine is actually disengaged from the gear box under certain conditions. This may be the reason for the delayed response as you approach that roundabout?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:39 PM   #10
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post

This is a little vague. It does not take into consideration which type of extender, soft or rigid, nor the length.

The location of the buckle is set by the car manufacturer. Some buckles are recessed while others are not. The buckle in my wife's car is at least 3 inches above the seat. The buckles in the 3 series are flush. A 3 inch extension on the 3 series seat would make the configuration identical to my wife's SUV. Why would it be safe in my wife's SUV but unsafe in a 3 series?

I think a short extension will do just fine. If anything, I would worry more about the reliability of the buckle itself that it doesn't fail. You now have 2 points of failure instead of one.

On the other hand, the ability of our cars to stop and prevent a fiery death relies on 12mm of brake pad material activated by a rubber hose with fluid in it that could leak not only at any point in the hose but at the attachment points on the calipers. I'm not saying lets throw caution to the wind, but lets not fool ourselves with the notion that we can completely be 100% safe all of the time and that nothing bad will ever happen to us. I've climbed rock walls with shabbier equipment than these belt extenders.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0