Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Software quality vs. other brands

09-13-2020, 03:14 PM   #1
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Software quality vs. other brands

Hey guys,

as I'm reading through several posts from people discussing the new software update for iDrive 7, the 2020.7.x, I'm wondering how does the BMW software compare to that of other manufacturers, such as Audi and Mercedes. I have owned a BMW with iDrive 6 and now with iDrive 7, I've never owned a non-BMW car, so I don't know whether the issues we see with...

* Maps that suck (get updated with changes/new roads after 6-12 months)
* Not having Android auto support until just now, and still limited
* Extremely slow OTA update delivery
* Not having access to all software features if you're not in the "right" country (i.e. Germany, UK, Netherlands, etc.)
* Not having any way to provide feedback directly to BMW, neither about the maps nor the iDrive software
* Bugs, bugs, and more bugs
* The mobile app that sucks, and now having to wait for months to get the new app/version.

...are also issues that owners of cars from the other two German premium manufacturers face.

Those of you who have owned or currently own a car from Audi or Mercedes, would you say BMW is worse, the same, or better than the other manufacturers when it comes to software?

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).

Last edited by eddiehaug; 09-13-2020 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 10:59 PM   #2
itsrd77
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

I have never owned MB or Audi but I work at a BMW dealership and have gotten to mess around with both products. I can't say anything about bugs or glitches but as far as usability I would say BMW wins as far as ease of use. I would also like to here what problems people have run into with the other two brands.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 11:10 PM   #3
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
No comment on bugs, why? Cuz he works at a dealership perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 12:45 AM   #4
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrd77 View Post
I have never owned MB or Audi but I work at a BMW dealership and have gotten to mess around with both products. I can't say anything about bugs or glitches but as far as usability I would say BMW wins as far as ease of use. I would also like to here what problems people have run into with the other two brands.
I agree on that, I've also used the other systems and I think iDrive is great when it comes to usability. My issue is mostly with BMW's approach to software release and delivery, and I wonder if the other companies suffer of the same issues.

BMW promotes itself as a modern company but acts as legacy one when it comes to software. Even Microsoft has a forum for receiving feedback about their software but BMW doesn't, even though, by comparison, it has only a fraction of customers and sells a much, much more expensive product.

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).
Appreciate 2
      09-14-2020, 05:05 AM   #5
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaug View Post
* Maps that suck (get updated with changes/new roads after 6-12 months)
* Not having Android auto support until just now, and still limited
* Extremely slow OTA update delivery
* Not having access to all software features if you're not in the "right" country (i.e. Germany, UK, Netherlands, etc.)
* Not having any way to provide feedback directly to BMW, neither about the maps nor the iDrive software
* Bugs, bugs, and more bugs
* The mobile app that sucks, and now having to wait for months to get the new app/version.
  • BMW uses the same maps as many, many other brands (here maps). E.g. the whole VW Group, Hyundai/Kia/Genesis, PGA etc. There are updates to the maps in 6 month intervals, just like all other competitors, so I don't think they "suck"
  • Which functionality is limited in AA? It is wireless, shown not only in the screen, but also in the dash as well as the HUD. Probably the best possible integration by any manufacturer
  • Yeah that's true compared to e.g. Tesla. My friends reported a slow rollout for their Audis or Mercedes's as well, but doesn't seem to be as slow as with BMWs. People currently updating to 11/2019 now after like 10 months confirms that. For me personally, I seem to be lucky and always get the update right when it is launched. If you want to have the update immediately you can always ask the dealer to update it for you.
  • This is mostly due to legal limitations and not anything BMW (or any other manufacturer) can change
  • Yeah that's true, but iirc neither do the other big manufacturers have a direct feedback integrated to the infotainment. Maybe something they should do. But, you can contact BMW customer service (or call the concierge in your car), they usually are quite good and will pass the feedback on.
  • I don't really experience many bugs, neither do I in other cars...
  • Don't get me started on the apps lol. They do suck haaard, but at least they have this new app now, which seems to be working better.

Last edited by Flamingi; 09-14-2020 at 05:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 05:56 AM   #6
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

I had a b9 a4 previous to this car... and that car definitely had some maps glitches where things like part of the ux would stick or the GPS was off.

I've only gotten one update in my g20 and everything seems to work perfectly. the collision avoidance on the a4 was also much worse than the g20 with a lot of false positives. so I think at least comparing between those two the BMW is better
Appreciate 1
Wayner64.50
      09-14-2020, 10:10 AM   #7
dpod25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

I think this concept of regular OTA software updates is new for all automakers, not just BMW. None of them would be doing this if it weren’t for Tesla. Hence, I think as they are rushing to catch up with Tesla, they all are still having to work out their bugs. Over time, I’m sure this won’t be such an issue.

That being said, iDrive 7 is still way ahead of any infotainment system from the Japanese luxury brands.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 06:25 AM   #8
StevenDS85
I ///M Fan
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport

The software on BMW is much more stable over Mercedes-Benz. I drove with 4 differen Mercedes-Benz cars before and had lots of issues with crashes, slow response and automatic reboots. Both with the
Command system and the standard system. Especially the Beckermap GPS software was rubish. Recalculation in coties took over 20 seconds i.e. so far I’m very glad with the BMW iDrive 7. Yes, last year there were some connectivity issues with the app, but with the 2020 software update I would say that it’s a very stable and responsive software platform.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 09:56 PM   #9
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
BMW uses Here maps which are used by almost all major manufacturers and maps are updated as often as 4x a year which is pretty good.

If you see incorrect mapping data though you can update it...

https://mapcreator.here.com/?site=bmw_na_cs.html

Then you'll see it reflected in your car in a future update automatically.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2020, 05:20 AM   #10
Mbthelegend330i
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 330i , F30 320d

I have a problem with my idrive7 with updates, there is a new software for my region 7/2020 but the services departments tell me the car has no updates, i had to then speak with BMW Connected drive in spain to get clarity and force the dealership to do the update on the vehicle , It seems that even the services departments are clueless at times , so if you arent to savy you drive a car with out all its benefits for a long time , like now the new andriod auto is out but vehicles are not equipped with it either because of lack of knowledge or no remote updates pulling through the vehicle or app.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 06:13 AM   #11
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

I've found iDrive 7 to be way more reliable and more intuitive than MMI that was in my previous Audis.
      09-18-2020, 09:17 AM   #12
Sootchucker
Rep
Drives: VW Golf MK7.5 GTI

I (currently) drive VW and have for the last 15 years. My last few MK7 Golfs (including my currently MK7.5 GTI) have been pretty much bullet proof wen it comes to software (i.e. no glitches or freezing etc), but here's the big thing.

VW (currently) doesn't offer OTA updates and certainly doesn't add features to their software (just bug fixes which may or may not get applied when the car is in the dealership). Also, currently the maps in my GTI (whilst I'm able to update them from the VW website) haven't actually been updated since November 2019 (so nearly a year ago).

So whilst BMW might have some bugs to iron out, I'd give them kudos for actually trying to improve their cars unlike VW who are pretty apathetic to their customers.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 02:33 PM   #13
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
BMW uses Here maps which are used by almost all major manufacturers and maps are updated as often as 4x a year which is pretty good.

If you see incorrect mapping data though you can update it...

https://mapcreator.here.com/?site=bmw_na_cs.html

Then you'll see it reflected in your car in a future update automatically.
Thank you, I had no idea BMW uses Here, and I didn't know one could update the maps either. This is great!

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 12:03 PM   #14
itsrd77
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Not because I work at the dealership, but because I haven't used them for an extended time.
Appreciate 0