Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Spotify / CarPlay Mutually Exclusive?

08-16-2020, 06:31 AM   #1
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Spotify / CarPlay Mutually Exclusive?

When I initially got my car, I was able to freely switch between using the Spotify BMW app and Spotify in CarPlay. It was no problem to have both CarPlay running Waze, and the Spotify app handling music.

Now, the BMW Spotify app will only launch if my phone is turned off (in other words even the previous shortcut I saved to Spotify assumes I want to run Spotify in CarPlay.

I can't say for sure when this happened, because I've put very little mileage on my car since Covid removed my need to drive a daily commute.

Is this something permanent from an update or is there some way I can restore ability to use the BMW app simultaneously with CarPlay?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 10:04 AM   #2
cls49bmw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40

I have had a similar issue. I've not tried using Spotify from both applications at once. However, the Spotify app on Car Play, does not function well since I enabled the BMW native Spotify. I can start music playing from Car Play, and in short order, the app "disconnects" and the screen states the connection is now running thru my BMW WiFi. At that point, if I want to continue full Spotify functionality, I have to switch to the native Spotify app in the Media list on I Drive.

When I looked for causes or solutions, all I could find was that a Spotify app update causes a conflict between Car Play and the native app.

Look around on this forum, as a few others have reported on this problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 11:48 AM   #3
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls49bmw View Post
I have had a similar issue. I've not tried using Spotify from both applications at once. However, the Spotify app on Car Play, does not function well since I enabled the BMW native Spotify. I can start music playing from Car Play, and in short order, the app "disconnects" and the screen states the connection is now running thru my BMW WiFi. At that point, if I want to continue full Spotify functionality, I have to switch to the native Spotify app in the Media list on I Drive.

When I looked for causes or solutions, all I could find was that a Spotify app update causes a conflict between Car Play and the native app.
Look around on this forum, as a few others have reported on this problem.
You basically need to log out of Spotify in idrive. That will fix the CarPlay problem, but then you are using your cell data and not the cars. When in idrive Spotify, hover over a song, hit option on the idrive controller, then log out.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 05:26 PM   #4
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
You basically need to log out of Spotify in idrive. That will fix the CarPlay problem, but then you are using your cell data and not the cars. When in idrive Spotify, hover over a song, hit option on the idrive controller, then log out.
Thing is I want the BMW Spotify app 99% of the time, and I can make it work it seems, by just removing Spotify from the list of CarPlay apps on the phone.

They clearly don't co-exist well, but I'd prefer if they could, so that my shortcut to BMW Spotify always launches that, but I have the option of doing Spotify in CarPlay as well.

I assume folks who don't have the mobile wi-fi hotspot service would prefer the CarPlay version? I just like the UI of the BMW app and it seems to work better for my needs.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 08:18 PM   #5
hmgeek
Rep
Drives: x3

I am also having the same/similar issue.
If I start the iDrive Spotify app it works well and so far no issues.

If I switch to the Carplay app, no sound comes out of the speakers but the screen says the song is playing and the time shows it's counting down. There is also some text on the screen saying the song is playing on my BMW.

If I switch back to the idrive app, sounds start playing for like 3 secs and stops. I click on the song again and again it stops sounding after 3 secs.

The only way I can get it to stay playing for longer than 3 secs is to hold down the power button and reset iDrive. Very annoying......BMW needs to hire more staff on their software development team in order to do more regression testing and have more baked software deployments. Let's go.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 05:48 AM   #6
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Also, shortcuts to CarPlay no longer work for me. I originally had button #1 to CarPlay and #2 to switch to BMW Spotify, but #1 no longer works and it will no longer store a shortcut to CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 05:14 PM   #7
Socosurf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330xi

Not sure if this was mentioned but the Spotify integration with iDrive 7.0 has been seized. It's no longer per BMW's documentation. I don't have it in my 2020 330xi as an option.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 05:43 PM   #8
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vw golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
Also, shortcuts to CarPlay no longer work for me. I originally had button #1 to CarPlay and #2 to switch to BMW Spotify, but #1 no longer works and it will no longer store a shortcut to CarPlay.
Just did it on my car today, shortcut works without issue, both for carplay and android auto.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 06:26 PM   #9
Wayner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

Spotify through the idrive works flawless for me! 2020 M340xi. No issues going back and forth with car play either.
Appreciate 0