Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics USB music woes

08-20-2020, 07:32 AM   #1
VictorRomeo
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 330e

USB music woes

Hi all. So I mentioned this in another thread, but I thought I'd break it out into a thread of its own for feedback and suggestions.

I took delivery of my new 330e last Friday and am loving it. I moved from a '17 330e so it's interesting to observe and experienced the differences.

One of these was the new G20's inability to recognize the 1tb SSD I had in my G30 with all of my music stored upon it. I listen predominantly to lossless 16bit and 24bit FLAC. I understand it to be that BMW have disabled HDDs and SSDs and only allowing for lower voltage USB memory sticks. Fair enough.

I purchased a Sandisk 512gb micro thumb drive and copied what I wanted and inserted and it was recognized.

Now here's my beef. Every time I start the car, the music resets to the first track in the first artist's album stored alphabetically on the drive.

To me this is a preposterous, regressive and frustrating issue, and one that certainly did not occur with my G30. It's the sort of thing that happened 10 to 15 years ago when cars started offering MP3 playback via memory card and whatnot.

FWIW, I seem to be on the 11/19 update.

My question to those of you who use USB for music playback is is this something that affects/affected you, has it been resolved in later software updates, or, am I missing something stupid here?

Thanks!

Last edited by VictorRomeo; 08-20-2020 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 02:20 AM   #2
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
I have the same issue with a San Disk Ultra Fit. I'm on 03/2020.58 .

I still need to test another USB drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 06:53 AM   #3
VictorRomeo
Private
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet91 View Post
I have the same issue with a San Disk Ultra Fit. I'm on 03/2020.58 .

I still need to test another USB drive.
Yeah, mine's the same. I might reformat as FAT32 and see if that does anything different....
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 02:16 PM   #4
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21

I am on 11/2019.70 (OTA update) and I'm using Sandisk dual 128GB stick (usb-c in the armrest compartment). FAT32, both FLAC and mp3 files. The usb player picks up the last played track at the exact second it was when the car's been turned off.

Maybe it depends on the number of indexed files? So far I have relatively small collection, around 30GB.

On the other hand, I have a different issue, the player shuffle option is visible only for a while and only after hard iDrive reset, then it disappears from the screen (and remains in the last state)

It's a shame so many glitches in that absolutely basic functionality...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 01:48 AM   #5
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
Have a similar issue using a 128GB ScanDisk in the cup holder USB port.
I am on 07/2020.35 and it always defaults to "The Killers" Day & Age album which is not the first named group available alphabetically

I have recently been to my local dealer for some warranty work and asked them why this happens and they could not give me an answer.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 09:22 AM   #6
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorRomeo View Post
Hi all. So I mentioned this in another thread, but I thought I'd break it out into a thread of its own for feedback and suggestions.

I took delivery of my new 330e last Friday and am loving it. I moved from a '17 330e so it's interesting to observe and experienced the differences.

One of these was the new G20's inability to recognize the 1tb SSD I had in my G30 with all of my music stored upon it. I listen predominantly to lossless 16bit and 24bit FLAC. I understand it to be that BMW have disabled HDDs and SSDs and only allowing for lower voltage USB memory sticks. Fair enough.

I purchased a Sandisk 512gb micro thumb drive and copied what I wanted and inserted and it was recognized.

Now here's my beef. Every time I start the car, the music resets to the first track in the first artist's album stored alphabetically on the drive.

To me this is a preposterous, regressive and frustrating issue, and one that certainly did not occur with my G30. It's the sort of thing that happened 10 to 15 years ago when cars started offering MP3 playback via memory card and whatnot.

My question to those of you who use USB for music playback is is this something that affects/affected you, has it been resolved in later software updates, or, am I missing something stupid here?

Thanks!
I have been messing with my USB stick and may have found a solution which seems to work in my case.

Load your USB stick into your computer, right click on the drive to open Properties, you will see 5 menu options, select Customise. Under the drop down menu for "General Items" select MUSIC and Apply.

Worth a try!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 01:34 PM   #7
330e
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G20

My topic -> https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1742075

Problem SOLVED :P
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 10:38 AM   #8
VictorRomeo
Private
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsapper View Post
I have been messing with my USB stick and may have found a solution which seems to work in my case.

Load your USB stick into your computer, right click on the drive to open Properties, you will see 5 menu options, select Customise. Under the drop down menu for "General Items" select MUSIC and Apply.

Worth a try!!!
Didn't work for me...... Thanks anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 11:03 PM   #9
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks!
Quote:

Thanks!
My M340i is on an 03.2020 software release. I have a 128Gb USB stick in the main centre console and a 64Gb in the port by the wireless phone charger, both with only FLAC files on them. My HK system will always commence play back from where it left off when I turned the car off.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 05:16 AM   #10
VictorRomeo
Private
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiTourer View Post
My M340i is on an 03.2020 software release. I have a 128Gb USB stick in the main centre console and a 64Gb in the port by the wireless phone charger, both with only FLAC files on them. My HK system will always commence play back from where it left off when I turned the car off.
What OS7 version are you on?
Appreciate 0