Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Adaptive MODE again...

09-07-2020, 07:40 AM   #1
blaz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d,F30 330e,G20 M340i

Adaptive MODE again...

Following on from
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
I believe comfort in an adaptive suspension car is better.

I use the adaptive mode most of the time. This means that it is in comfort whilst I tootle about but will become more of a sport setting when I drive more aggressively without having to press any buttons.

Of course sport+ if i’m wanting a bit of fun.....

Also see this thread......

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1613560
This new thread is not about M Sport Suspension or Adaptive Suspension - but Adaptive Mode where the car and the satnav decide how you are driving and where you are driving to make essentially comfort/sport settings on the fly.

I've not seen much written about Adaptive Mode without people referring to the other topics.

So @Tam the Bam I follow your point and am trying out the same Adaptive normally and Sport+ for focussed fun. And I'm finding it much better in adaptive than I expected - given that I never drive in Comfort on purpose.

I get the feeling that the SatNav input is based on type of road and gradient and corners which is fair enough... until you get a poor road surface, pothole mid corner or sleeping policeman. I guess those things are static and recordable at any given time but introduce a level of chaos regarding wear/tear, weather, repairs etc.

Maybe a waze-like crowd-data warning would be pheasilbe though like reported accidents / speed cameras?

Meanwhile I'm wondering how many SatNavs are in play at any time. Could be BMW cloud nav or Waze or Maps or Google Maps. If you use one of the latter 3 is BMW satnav still active to inform Adaptive mode?

Interested in other people's experiences and views. So far it's my default mode with Mrs B in the car. Time will tell if Sport becomes my default.

(In my F11 SE with IAS it was Sport Plus, F30 M Sport was Sport)
      09-07-2020, 11:20 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaz View Post
I get the feeling that the SatNav input is based on type of road and gradient and corners which is fair enough... until you get a poor road surface, pothole mid corner or sleeping policeman. I guess those things are static and recordable at any given time but introduce a level of chaos regarding wear/tear, weather, repairs etc.
BMW's system is not that advanced, to see potholes and the like, probably will come. Mercedes are there in the S-Class. Note it uses a camera system, for the road surface.

Quote:
Its flagship S-Class limousine can see potholes and bumps in the road and adapt suspension to brace itself ahead of the impending impact in a bid to reduce the potential damage and discomfort.

Mercedes-Benz says it is the first car in the world to have suspension 'with eyes' as part of its revolutionary system called 'road surface scan' using a stereo camera.
The idea for communication with other cars, is what many of the manufacturers are talking about. Add that to Sat-Nav data and we will be getting there.
Appreciate 1
blaz21.50