Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Scratches on new car

09-07-2020, 11:55 AM   #1
Azza14
Rep
Drives: M340i

Scratches on new car

So I went to collect my brand new M340i XD and when at the dealership I noticed that it had scratches on multiple panels. I pointed this out to the sales guy who was horrified and said I could either take it and use it over the weekend and bring it back or leave it and come back mid-week. I choose to take the car and return later.

Anyway I took the car back and the SA said due to the inconvenience he would give me a full tank of fuel and have the car fully valeted. I got a call 3 days later to collect the car and when I arrived there were still a lot of scratches and the car was covered in polish. The SA again apologized and said that he had not seen the car until now.

Again I was given options and choose to leave the car. 2 days later I got a call and made my way back to the dealership. Again there were still scratches and the SA said that he was aware, but advised the body shop not to polish too much in fear of burning the paint and asked if I could "live with it". I told him NO it's a brand new car (now has 96miles on) and this was not acceptable. Furthermore the wheels were covered in tyre dressing the carpet was covered in dust from the polishing and the badges on the rear and the black trim were thick of polish residue. He said that they will attempt to polish further, but may need to paint the rear quarter and bumper if the paint burns.

I've "owned" the car now for 2 weeks but only had it 2 days. Not to mention the 3 week delay when ordered.

Im getting a bit sick now! Am I entitled to any compensation? Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

I would tell them you want to bring it to a proper detailing shop and have them paint correct (if the scratches aren't too deep) and detail. They will just keep making it worse and worse. At the very least get an opinion on what needs to be done from a detail shop and then look for compensation.
      09-07-2020, 12:17 PM   #3
Azza14
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
I would tell them you want to bring it to a proper detailing shop and have them paint correct (if the scratches aren't too deep) and detail. They will just keep making it worse and worse. At the very least get an opinion on what needs to be done from a detail shop and then look for compensation.
Thanks for the advice. I have to say that I'm worried about the quality of the repair. And it has crossed my mind that they going to take the paint right down. I'll contact the dealership tomorrow and tell them I want it done by a detailer.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 12:25 PM   #4
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

I'd be asking for a replacement car altogether as what has gone on has been nothing less than a shambles.
If your dead set on keeping it insist it's brought back to you in pristine condition & I'd be asking for cash off the car and/or free services for a determined period and/or tyre insurance/paint protection/ gap insurance thrown in. Whatever is worth more to yourself.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2020, 12:32 PM   #5
Azza14
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3RTA View Post
I'd be asking for a replacement car altogether as what has gone on has been nothing less than a shambles.
If your dead set on keeping it insist it's brought back to you in pristine condition & I'd be asking for cash off the car and/or free services for a determined period and/or tyre insurance/paint protection/ gap insurance thrown in. Whatever is worth more to yourself.
Thank you kindly for your advice. This experience has certainly ruined the new car excitement. And the fact they have given me a i3 as a "courtesy car" ain't helping.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 01:34 PM   #6
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
ask for a replacement car. even if repainted it won't be a perfect match
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2020, 01:46 PM   #7
Zorrotwo
Private
Rep
Drives: F31

This is not an acceptable service at all. I would be furious to say the least. I would be sending a very detailed and strong email to BMW directly.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 01:49 PM   #8
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

It sux that they have ruined the whole experience for you. If I were you I would demand to speak to someone more senior. As Burrcold said the minimum I would accept is that they take it to a professional paint shop and for all the inconvenience they should throw in a free ceramic paint treatment. Good luck.

Last edited by Bris-M340i; 09-07-2020 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 01:53 PM   #9
Azza14
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bris-M340i View Post
It sux that they have ruined the whole experience for you. If I were you I would demand to speak to someone more senior. As Burrcold said the minimum I would except is that they take it to a professional paint shop and for all the inconvenience they should throw in a free ceramic paint treatment. Good luck.
Thanks so much for all the advice, it's much appreciated (as it's my first ever new car). I'm expecting the car back Wednesday so I'll update once received and attached photos of the work.

I will certainly be taking this further tho and again I'll post of any update, progress or BS from the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 02:55 PM   #10
Carbon dude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320D 2019, current M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
ask for a replacement car. even if repainted it won't be a perfect match
I second this, you paid 10's of thousands for a new car, not a new car with scratches. Which no matter how good the repair it will never be original. Bmw have a 2 week period where you can return the car.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      09-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #11
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Nightmare. I’m assuming these scratches are more than just swirl marks from the poor PDI wash.

Personally, I would find a local reputable detailer and get their opinion on the scratches and whether they can be polished out without issue. Cost is likely to be several hundred pounds for the polish. Dealer should cover the cost and perhaps throw in extra for them to apply a coating if you can get them.

Any doubt, hand the keys back.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 01:58 PM   #12
Azza14
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post
Nightmare. I'm assuming these scratches are more than just swirl marks from the poor PDI wash.

Personally, I would find a local reputable detailer and get their opinion on the scratches and whether they can be polished out without issue. Cost is likely to be several hundred pounds for the polish. Dealer should cover the cost and perhaps throw in extra for them to apply a coating if you can get them.

Thanks. Had an update from BMW about an hour ago. They have tried to polish the scratches out and ended up burning through the paint. I have been told that the rear qtr & back bumper need painting, which they are going to have to send the car out to do and I won't have the car back till Friday or Saturday.

I'm going to pop in tomorrow and ask to speak to a manager as this is now a joke. My biggest worry now is a colour mis-match.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #13
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

If I were you, this is where I’d be going - I think this is your local gtechniq approved detailer.

Name:  F994B71A-FDD4-4853-9D71-A778A799EBEB.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  186.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #14
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azza14 View Post
Thanks. Had an update from BMW about an hour ago. They have tried to polish the scratches out and ended up burning through the paint. I have been told that the rear qtr & back bumper need painting, which they are going to have to send the car out to do and I won't have the car back till Friday or Saturday.

I'm going to pop in tomorrow and ask to speak to a manager as this is now a joke. My biggest worry now is a colour mis-match.
That is a joke. They must be using the cheapest bunch of amateurs to make one mistake after another.

I would be rejecting the car at this point. That is just ridiculous. Assuming you got this on finance I would call them first thing and let them know what is going on even if you decide to keep it in the end.

I really feel for you. Not the new car experience you expect...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 02:05 PM   #15
Azza14
Rep

Quote:
If I were you, this is where I'd be going - I think this is your local gtechniq approved detailer.

Attachment 2408713
Thanks. I'll give them a call first thing and tell them I want the car "repaired" by a company of my choice. Hopefully they will let me. If not that will be my first stop when/if I get back
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 03:22 PM   #16
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

@Azza14 I would 100% be rejecting the car. Who was the supplying dealer? I'll be collecting mine soon and also from the NE.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 03:26 PM   #17
Azza14
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
@Azza14 I would 100% be rejecting the car. Who was the supplying dealer? I'll be collecting mine soon and also from the NE.
Cooper BMW Sunderland. I'm not here to put anyone off by any means. I may just be unlucky and possibly a one off. Just wanted to share my experience and get some advice.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 03:28 PM   #18
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Quote:
Cooper BMW Sunderland. I'm not here to put anyone off by any means. I may just be unlucky and possibly a one off. Just wanted to share my experience and get some advice.
That's who's supplying mine. I have to say, I've found them to be excellent customer service wise. I went out of my way to buy a car from them after a previous poor experience at a couple of other dealers.

Really hope you get a resolve, but respraying a brand new car wouldn't be an option I'd choose personally, however hard it might be to wait for another car, I think that's your best option.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #19
Azza14
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's who's supplying mine. I have to say, I've found them to be excellent customer service wise. I went out of my way to buy a car from them after a previous poor experience at a couple of other dealers.

Really hope you get a resolve, but respraying a brand new car wouldn't be an option I'd choose personally, however hard it might be to wait for another car, I think that's your best option.
Totally agree. The sales guy has been spot on and has been doing what he can to get the issues sorted, I can't say anything bad about him (also he got me a really good deal).

I know the car was brought down from Scotland, hence the delay and was delivered to Sunderland with the scratches all ready on.

Still not what you expect from a brand new BM
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 03:42 PM   #20
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Happened to a pal of mine. Brand new and more than 30 scratches and marks on the car. He works as an insurance assessor so sees vehicle damage new and old all the time. He rejected it until they could fix it. It took them 3 weeks! It was a M340i and the best they could provide as a loan was a 2 active tourer.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 07:41 PM   #21
spidermack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack San Marino Blue

Garage List
I'd be returning the car & asking for a refund. I'm sure your within your rights to do this. No matter how good the paint job is, I suspect it will be detectable especially to a trained eye. On a brand new car this is unacceptable.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 08:07 PM   #22
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Nightmare. I'm assuming these scratches are more than just swirl marks from the poor PDI wash.

Make no mistake it will be a mismatch
Appreciate 0