Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Trip odometer behavior

07-29-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
bumblebeemer
Rep
Drives: bmw g20 330i msp

Trip odometer behavior

I found out today that Total distance driven after release is 11400km and driven distance after individual setting(4/12/2019) is 9999km

but 3months ago, difference between total mileage and mileage after individual setting(which is the same 4/12/2019) was only 8km (i checked photos which i taken for car insurance)

it's huge difference. i don't know what's wrong?

since mileage decide car warranty, resale value, i take it serious

any ideas what makes this huge gap? i need your wisdom
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 03:23 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeemer View Post
I found out today that Total distance driven after release is 11400km and driven distance after individual setting(4/12/2019) is 9999km

but 3months ago, difference between total mileage and mileage after individual setting(which is the same 4/12/2019) was only 8km (i checked photos which i taken for car insurance)

it's huge difference. i don't know what's wrong?

since mileage decide car warranty, resale value, i take it serious

any ideas what makes this huge gap? i need your wisdom
Do you mean the 'individual setting' of 9999km is a reading from the trip/journey computer? If so, you have likely reached the maximum, it stays at that figure until you reset. If it is the trip computer, I assume you haven't reset it for any trips before reaching the 9999km.

My car (trip computer in miles) tops out at 5999 miles. Stays at that figure while you clock up more miles on the odometer.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 04:31 PM   #3
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
After it hits 9999km, it stops. Your trip meter is supposed to be reset every now and then so you can measure arbitrary distances. Why do you think you had two different odometers?

I used to reset my trip meters every time I'd get gas. Or back in the olden days I'd reset it before I went on a road trip or took a long drive to gauge my distance before the next landmark.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 06:36 PM   #4
JimmXinu
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i, 2019 BMW 330i

OTOH, in my E90 I carefully reset my trip odometer so it matched the car odometer as closely as I could because I wanted odometer tenths and I had no better use for it. After 1000 miles, it simply rolled over rather than stopping.

Just stopping seems to me to be a poor design choice. Plus, putting a limit on the 'trip odometer' is a completely arbitrary affectation at this point. It's all software now.

I wonder does that mean that Individual gas mileage will also stop working when the Individual odo maxes out?
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2019, 07:08 PM   #5
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
i reset after each fill up
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 09:08 PM   #6
bumblebeemer
Rep
Drives: bmw g20 330i msp

Thank you guys! i'm just stupid lol
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 03:47 AM   #7
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
OTOH, in my E90 I carefully reset my trip odometer so it matched the car odometer as closely as I could because I wanted odometer tenths and I had no better use for it. After 1000 miles, it simply rolled over rather than stopping.

Just stopping seems to me to be a poor design choice. Plus, putting a limit on the 'trip odometer' is a completely arbitrary affectation at this point. It's all software now.

I wonder does that mean that Individual gas mileage will also stop working when the Individual odo maxes out?
I believe it has been software for years right. Back in the days using physical cogs and numbers there was a physical limit on how much km could be shown. Then they started programming everything into the digital world but as happens so often they take with them the principles of the physical world. So the system used to display 4 digits so the new digital system does so as well. Although the new digits back-end and pixel build displays could display much more, 4 digits have always been enough so that's probably how they specced the new system to be.

Personally I'd expect it to roll-over instead of stopping but on the other hand, what's the difference? The trip counter is designed for a distance up to 9999 km anyways..
      07-30-2019, 03:51 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post

I think you are mixing the readouts.

The trip odometer does roll over 1000 miles in a BMW, it is the trip/journey computer that has the limit. Can't see the need for a trip computer (or the trip odometer for that matter) to go over 9999km (5999 miles).

I recall a couple of VW cars having a limit on the long term computer, would top out and automatically reset at 9999 miles. Was even reference to the limit in the User Manual.

Your final point, I've purposely left my trip computer running long term and that's when I noted the 5999 mile limit. I'm sure the mpg/mph averages then froze as well. The OBC mpg/mph averages and remaining range continued to adjust. Indicating it's simply a trip data limit. Then as said, who makes a 9999km trip?
Appreciate 0