Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Did everyone get their NFC card key at delivery?

08-07-2019, 02:31 AM   #23
GMatrix
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexley45 View Post
What sort of goodie did you get in your bag? Is that another thing I should have gotten? 🤔
A BMW umbrella and coffee mug
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 03:45 PM   #24
Delta5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2018 X3 30i

I didn't get mine at delivery either. I didn't even know about it until I saw the threads here. I emailed my SA and he found one within a couple of hours. Activated it myself in the car. No wireless charging for me.

It works, but I feel like it's a cheap gimmick from BMW for not having an app-based access & ignition system like Tesla. IMHO the key fob is much more convenient since it has range: Comfort Access can lock/unlock as you approach and the key can be anywhere in the car for ignition.

I suppose for swimming with your key or as a backup stashed in a wallet or luggage, the key card has its place.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2019, 05:49 AM   #25
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta5 View Post
I didn't get mine at delivery either. I didn't even know about it until I saw the threads here. I emailed my SA and he found one within a couple of hours. Activated it myself in the car. No wireless charging for me.

It works, but I feel like it's a cheap gimmick from BMW for not having an app-based access & ignition system like Tesla. IMHO the key fob is much more convenient since it has range: Comfort Access can lock/unlock as you approach and the key can be anywhere in the car for ignition.

I suppose for swimming with your key or as a backup stashed in a wallet or luggage, the key card has its place.
AFAIK bmw does offer you the option of phone based ignition.

"BMW Digital Key
5.1. Overview
With the new Service Pack 2018 for the first time BMW offers the option of unlocking a vehicle,
starting the combustion engine and then locking the vehicle again via a Samsung smartphone.
This chapter explains how the release for the BMW Digital Key works in service and how other Samsung smartphones can be added.
BMW Digital Key in wireless charging station
The BMW Digital Key makes possible the unlocking and locking, as well as the vehicle start, with a compatible Android® smartphone. The version Oreo 8.0 or higher must be installed on the smartphone.
Currently only Samsung smartphones are possible for the function (Samsung Galaxy S7 and later). The reason why Samsung smartphones only currently work lies in the data transmission security. In Samsung smartphones (from S7) a NFC secure element is installed.
"
      08-08-2019, 08:47 AM   #26
Delta5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2018 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Creek View Post

"BMW Digital Key
5.1. Overview
With the new Service Pack 2018 for the first time BMW offers the option of unlocking a vehicle,
starting the combustion engine and then locking the vehicle again via a Samsung smartphone.
This chapter explains how the release for the BMW Digital Key works in service and how other Samsung smartphones can be added.
The BMW Digital Key makes possible the unlocking and locking, as well as the vehicle start, with a compatible Android® smartphone. The version Oreo 8.0 or higher must be installed on the smartphone.
Currently only Samsung smartphones are possible for the function (Samsung Galaxy S7 and later). The reason why Samsung smartphones only currently work lies in the data transmission security. In Samsung smartphones (from S7) a NFC secure element is installed.
"
Correct, but it's still NFC-based. So it suffers from the same limitations as the card.

I should have clarified my statement... app-based like Tesla in that it's a ranged wireless implementation that behaves like a wireless key fob. NFC-based ignition, whether card or phone, feels like a throwback to a decade+ ago when some cars had "keyless ignition" that required the key fob be placed in a special slot.

Still, at least BMW is trying. I just think they can do better.

Last edited by Delta5; 08-08-2019 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2019, 09:08 AM   #27
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
I understand. I assume Tesla works full app - cloud - wireless, even without the phone being close by?
      08-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #28
JimmXinu
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i, 2019 BMW 330i

Quote:
"
Further fine print adds only "on certain carriers"--Verizon phones don't work. From what I've seen, they go out of there to not make that clear or easy to find.

Plus the digital key on phone feature 'expires' after a year. I haven't seen how much BMW will want to charge to renew it.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 12:01 PM   #29
hexley45
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta5 View Post
Quote:

"BMW Digital Key
5.1. Overview
"
Correct, but it's still NFC-based. So it suffers from the same limitations as the card.

I should have clarified my statement... app-based like Tesla in that it's a ranged wireless implementation that behaves like a wireless key fob. NFC-based ignition, whether card or phone, feels like a throwback to a decade+ ago when some cars had "keyless ignition" that required the key fob be placed in a special slot.

Still, at least BMW is trying. I just think they can do better.
I talked to a coworker the other day that had a Tesla. He mentioned that it's not all roses with Tesla's implementation. Imagine you are parked right in front of a cafe, went in to get a bite. Somebody can just open your car and take stuff. Likely not the car, since it's pretty easy to track.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #30
LarrySinNJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

Not sure I understand the NFC card thing. I have an iPhone and supposedly the digital key (from BMW Connected App) only works on Android.

Can I use the NFC card in lieu of the fob or am I missing something?
2011 E90 328i xDrive Space Grey/Black Leather(Ret'd)
2009 E90 328i xDrive Monaco Blue/(Ret'd) 2007 E90 328i xDrive Graphite (Ret'd)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #31
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrscpa View Post
Not sure I understand the NFC card thing. I have an iPhone and supposedly the digital key (from BMW Connected App) only works on Android.

Can I use the NFC card in lieu of the fob or am I missing something?
You are correct.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #32
Luca8
440i M-Performance
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

Mine was activated yesterday, but it is useless imo. It only works if you hold the keycard to the door handle very closely and it does not work if you put the keycard in your wallet. Therefore, it does not add any advantages compared to the key.
      08-09-2019, 12:41 PM   #33
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca8 View Post
Mine was activated yesterday, but it is useless imo. It only works if you hold the keycard to the door handle very closely and it does not work if you put the keycard in your wallet. Therefore, it does not add any advantages compared to the key.
With comfort access, the key card does seem somewhat useless. Probably better in the event you lose/misplace your key or want to give someone else a third "key" in case something happens.

I carry mine in my wallet for these reasons.
Appreciate 0