Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Autoguide BMW 330i xDrive vs Genesis G70 3.3T comparison review

07-30-2019, 11:06 AM   #23
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I can't imagine wanting a Hyundai when I hated my Lexus.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      07-31-2019, 08:43 PM   #24
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
I can't imagine wanting a Hyundai when I hated my Lexus.
Who are you fooling? It's glaringly obvious that you're destined for one. It reminds me of two young lovers who show every sign of being mutually obsessed, but continue to publicly deny it.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 10:51 PM   #25
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Who are you fooling? It's glaringly obvious that you're destined for one. It reminds me of two young lovers who show every sign of being mutually obsessed, but continue to publicly deny it.
Ummmm...No.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      08-02-2019, 09:15 AM   #26
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
The fact that Genesis is eliciting these types of responses means they made a good car. I finally saw one today, and it looks far better than the M340i.
Actually that doesn't mean they made a good car. If you passionately claim that Toyota Prius is better than a 3 series, that would elicit responses as well. That doesn't mean Prius is great.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 2
Fuller1216.50
530iDriver1707.50
      08-02-2019, 09:51 AM   #27
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

Article reads like an advertisement paid for by Hyundai. While I know knowing about or have any interest in the G70 to answer a previous posters I have a few friends who own other Hyundai vehicles and they are indeed very reliable and well built for what they are. They may be the best bang for the buck in that segment.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 09:58 AM   #28
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Although I would be willing to bet some good money that the Hyundai rattles a lot less than the BMW!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 06:15 PM   #29
Fuller
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
Article reads like an advertisement paid for by Hyundai. While I know knowing about or have any interest in the G70 to answer a previous posters I have a few friends who own other Hyundai vehicles and they are indeed very reliable and well built for what they are. They may be the best bang for the buck in that segment.
That's probably what it is, in essence. Hyundai is pretty aggressive on the marketing front. Just go to C&D's website, and at any given time there is usually a big, intrusive pop-up, or other obnoxious ad by Hyundai. Except we're supposed to pretend there's no bias. No, of course there isn't....
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 08:06 PM   #30
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Although I would be willing to bet some good money that the Hyundai rattles a lot less than the BMW!
I haven't been a rattling BMW since E93
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      08-02-2019, 11:27 PM   #31
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
I haven't been a rattling BMW since E93
That's because from the look of all your previous and current BMW they were all premium models. You get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 12:35 AM   #32
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I thought it was bit too harsh a review. The Bimmer's interior, tech, etc. are all superior to the G70's.

I have to agree with the driving assessment though. The 3er is so capable, yet all the "fun" stuff is filtered out. It's pretty sad how large and disconnected the 3-series has become.

BMW said all the right stuff when launching the G20 but most of us knew it's all marketing talk. It's a nice car and probably the best all-rounder in its class, but it does not drive as a BMW should.

BMW really just tosses a bone at the enthusiast in the form of the M2, but otherwise they have become the ultimate marketing machine. It's more about selling an image of sportiness rather than delivering on said image.
Appreciate 1
geddylee176.00
      08-03-2019, 12:41 AM   #33
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiner0123 View Post
You have to remember that the year is 2019, Every other competitor is making gimmicky tech options available in there cars... and BMW is no exception especially being a luxury/premium brand, do you expect them to just make a barebones car with no tech options in this competitive automotive market, you got to remember to a majority of customers that shop now look for these tech features, not everyone who shops for a 3 series is a die hard enthusiast, and obviously it works considering there sales figures always seem to be going up.. I own the M340i, and for a daily driver I find the chassis incredibly stable (especially at high speeds), I find the performance level is amazing, and the interior feels and looks very good and not cluttered, and the car handles amazing.
But why can't BMW at least dial more sport into the say...I don't know...Sport mode? Why does it still have to feel so numb and refined? I get it, the world has changed, most people don't care a damn about tight steering and view it as a nuisance. But at least make a legit sport mode that'll keep the enthusiasts happy. I don't understand why it's so hard.

This is BMW after all, it should be the sportiest offering in it's segment no exceptions.
Appreciate 1
geddylee176.00
      08-03-2019, 01:40 AM   #34
Fuller
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiner0123 View Post
You have to remember that the year is 2019, Every other competitor is making gimmicky tech options available in there cars... and BMW is no exception especially being a luxury/premium brand, do you expect them to just make a barebones car with no tech options in this competitive automotive market, you got to remember to a majority of customers that shop now look for these tech features, not everyone who shops for a 3 series is a die hard enthusiast, and obviously it works considering there sales figures always seem to be going up.. I own the M340i, and for a daily driver I find the chassis incredibly stable (especially at high speeds), I find the performance level is amazing, and the interior feels and looks very good and not cluttered, and the car handles amazing.
But why can't BMW at least dial more sport into the say...I don't know...Sport mode? Why does it still have to feel so numb and refined? I get it, the world has changed, most people don't care a damn about tight steering and view it as a nuisance. But at least make a legit sport mode that'll keep the enthusiasts happy. I don't understand why it's so hard.

This is BMW after all, it should be the sportiest offering in it's segment no exceptions.
You have to consider bmw 3 series drivers, who are a diverse set comprised of everyone from enthusiasts to commuters to grandmothers. The 3er has to appeal to this diverse demographic and their broad expectations. For the majority who value things like technology, style, comfort, efficiency, power, etc, it accomplishes this quite well, generally speaking. For the driving enthusiast, who expects a truly engaging driving experience, the 3 series feels like it compromises on this. It's because, the properties that make a car raw, engaging, and sporty clash with how most people define a comfortable, refined, modern luxury car. To them, a loud exhaust, highly communicative steering, and stiff suspension are unrefined and unnecessary. Modern cars benefit from selectable driving modes, but switching to "sport mode" can only do so much. It can't transform a luxury car that's palatable to the mainstream consumer into an untamed stallion whose home is on a race track.

The m2, 3, and 4 exist to serve the enthusiast customer base. If you want a real sports sedan that's focused on performance, the compact m-cars are designed to meet that demand. Even as bmw continues to introduce new M performance models, and M enthusiasts clamor on about diluting BMW's Motorsport brand, it's ironic that the differences in driving character between M-cars and the regular line up (including the m-performance models) seems to be growing.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2019, 10:16 PM   #35
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You have to consider bmw 3 series drivers, who are a diverse set comprised of everyone from enthusiasts to commuters to grandmothers. The 3er has to appeal to this diverse demographic and their broad expectations. For the majority who value things like technology, style, comfort, efficiency, power, etc, it accomplishes this quite well, generally speaking. For the driving enthusiast, who expects a truly engaging driving experience, the 3 series feels like it compromises on this. It's because, the properties that make a car raw, engaging, and sporty clash with how most people define a comfortable, refined, modern luxury car. To them, a loud exhaust, highly communicative steering, and stiff suspension are unrefined and unnecessary. Modern cars benefit from selectable driving modes, but switching to "sport mode" can only do so much. It can't transform a luxury car that's palatable to the mainstream consumer into an untamed stallion whose home is on a race track.

The m2, 3, and 4 exist to serve the enthusiast customer base. If you want a real sports sedan that's focused on performance, the compact m-cars are designed to meet that demand. Even as bmw continues to introduce new M performance models, and M enthusiasts clamor on about diluting BMW's Motorsport brand, it's ironic that the differences in driving character between M-cars and the regular line up (including the m-performance models) seems to be growing.
You haven't said anything false, but there was a time (not even a decade ago) where you could even get a base model 3-series or X5 and have a lot of fun. Shelling out near $100k to have a driver-focused car is insane.

I'll probably just have to get into an Alfa Giulia until I have more disposable income for an M2. If BMW didn't sell out then I'd be first in line for a 340/440.
Appreciate 2
geddylee176.00
stein_325i25083.00
      08-04-2019, 12:48 AM   #36
Fuller
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:

You haven't said anything false, but there was a time (not even a decade ago) where you could even get a base model 3-series or X5 and have a lot of fun. Shelling out near $100k to have a driver-focused car is insane.

I'll probably just have to get into an Alfa Giulia until I have more disposable income for an M2. If BMW didn't sell out then I'd be first in line for a 340/440.
I'm not sure if you've driven the g20 m340 yet, but if not, it's still worth an open minded test drive. It doesn't have a 6mt but neither does the Alfa (at least in the US).

Besides the reputation for some of the worst reliability, the thing that sucks about the Giulia is that it's either the quadrofoglio or a 4 pot. I'm sure the quad is a blast, but it's in the same class as the m-cars, so it's hard to make the case for going with the unknown, when you pretty much know what you're getting with an m3 or c63 or whatever. Granted I've been hearing if all sorts of great deals on the quad.

As for the 4 pot, I just can't warm up to the idea of a European 4 pot. If I'm getting a sporty luxury car, I want at least 6 cylinders. At the end of the day, the motor is the heart of the car. I'd take the m340i, or an f30 340i over a Giulia with a 4, even if the Giulia is more engaging. I couldn't give up the b58 for slightly better steering feedback, and a better feeling suspension.

At least in my mind, a 4-pot is perfectly at home in something like a wrx, civic type r, etc. don't get me wrong, I know they're a blast to drive. I'm just saying that's what I think when I think of a fun 4 pot powered car.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 07:50 AM   #37
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
I couldn't give up the b58 for slightly better steering feedback, and a better feeling suspension.
This is really most of what the longstanding 4 vs 6 debate comes down to, isn't it (other than price)? The effect of mass versus the benefit of power. You've summed up well a preference that can go either way; I happen to prefer the opposite and spec'd my 2 and 3 accordingly. I could be enticed by a "low mass" 6 if it could maintain 50/50 weight distribution.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #38
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

The Genesis 3.3T is over-hyped by the car media, the only advantage it has is pricing. Not everyone buys on price, if not we'd all be driving some shitbox and forget luxury and performance all together. I have test driven the 3.3T, engine does have some pull but there's many things i dislike about the car. First no adult can fit in the back seat. Second, the tack on navi is an abomination. Interior appointments were just ok, my 2016 Lexus IS had better quality materials. I didnt like the front it's ugly same for the clear lexan plastic rectangular piece on the front grill. It looks like a kid crazy glued it there. I did like the BBK and the rear was better than the front.

Pricing is where it won but i just couldn't get one due to it's shortcomings and the thought of driving a Hyundai. In South Florida you have to go to the local Hyundai dealer, that experience alone was unlike what i am accustom to with luxury brands. In the end i decided on the 330I and now I decided to get the M340i since my experience with 4 cylinder turbos in my current car has been disappointing. My last BMW was an E46 so it's only fitting that I get a BMW with the inline 6 since that's what i am used to in BMW's.
Appreciate 3
Fuller1216.50
      08-04-2019, 11:55 AM   #39
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
The Genesis 3.3T is over-hyped by the car media, the only advantage it has is pricing. Not everyone buys on price, if not we'd all be driving some shitbox and forget luxury and performance all together. I have test driven the 3.3T, engine does have some pull but there's many things i dislike about the car. First no adult can fit in the back seat. Second, the tack on navi is an abomination. Interior appointments were just ok, my 2016 Lexus IS had better quality materials. I didnt like the front it's ugly same for the clear lexan plastic rectangular piece on the front grill. It looks like a kid crazy glued it there. I did like the BBK and the rear was better than the front.

Pricing is where it won but i just couldn't get one due to it's shortcomings and the thought of driving a Hyundai. In South Florida you have to go to the local Hyundai dealer, that experience alone was unlike what i am accustom to with luxury brands. In the end i decided on the 330I and now I decided to get the M340i since my experience with 4 cylinder turbos in my current car has been disappointing. My last BMW was an E46 so it's only fitting that I get a BMW with the inline 6 since that's what i am used to in BMW's.
How about how the car drives? You didn't really state anything about how the G70 3.3 handles
      08-04-2019, 12:09 PM   #40
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

I did say the engine had some pull, handling was good, no better or worst than the G20. The transmission is slow, not as quick as the G20. Brakes felt fine on the street which is where i drove it. Anyway, for me it didn't make the cut, i enjoyed a 330i MSport more than the 3.3T except for the power. By deciding on getting the M340i then i will have the better car than the Genesis, pricing be damned. I am no fanboy either which is why i went to test drive it instead of wankers who argue on forums about cars they haven't bothered to test drive.

Forget online and magazine reviews. I test drove it wasn't good enough for me to consider. same reason why after driving two E46's and an E36 for more than a decade i turn to Lexus since the 3IS was a better drivers car than the F30. I will choose the better driver's car, the Genesis is good but not better than the G20 unless your primary metric for car buying is pricing or you're a beneficiary of Hyundai's marketing dollars.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      08-04-2019, 01:58 PM   #41
Salacak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328xi coupe e92

Garage List
Your answer is here

Appreciate 1
hubbahubba8809.00
      08-04-2019, 02:41 PM   #42
JohnEnglish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black

The G70 is a really good car. The only thing letting Genesis down right now is their dealer network. I know a few people who have bought Genesis cars and even though Genesis is support to have all sorts of extra dealer benefits (vehicle pick up and drop off for maintenance) they're basically told "too bad". They eventually have to complain to Hyundai corporate to get any kind of resolution.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 04:07 PM   #43
Fuller
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish View Post
The G70 is a really good car. The only thing letting Genesis down right now is their dealer network. I know a few people who have bought Genesis cars and even though Genesis is support to have all sorts of extra dealer benefits (vehicle pick up and drop off for maintenance) they're basically told "too bad". They eventually have to complain to Hyundai corporate to get any kind of resolution.
That's too bad because the g70 is compelling for the money (though I've heard some mixed feedback on the tranny and turbo lag). It's self defeating to put a fair amount into developing the car, and all they've sunk into their aggressive marketing campaign, and then to potentially turn people away from the brand by treating them badly on the dealership level. If it, ultimately, doesn't fare well, I can imagine Hyundai and outside analysts claiming it was because the g70 is a sedan in a market dominated by suv sales. Well, not necessarily. It's also due to good strategy being ruined by poor implementation and lack of attention to detail on the customer level. Individual experiences matter.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 05:33 PM   #44
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish View Post
That was my biggest problem with Genesis, the dealer network isn't good. In Canada though, they really are like a concierge service, they do everything for you. They bring you the car to test drive, when they deliver it, they bring it in a truck and then do a nice "unboxing" for you, when you need service, a valet brings a loaner to you and they take the car in, its all personalized, at least for Canada that is.