Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals Demo Video: BMW NFC Key Card

12-14-2018, 10:07 AM   #45
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

I like it. Carrying two of the bulky BMW keys in my pocket is a PITA. Sometimes I drive my wife's car and I have to go retrieve the key to her car. Taking it out of my wallet/i-phone case is a better solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #46
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Here is a handy workaround for iPhone owners

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 10:06 PM   #47
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post

I took delivery today, and my dealer didn't know anything about the card key when I asked. Is the card for free for each car? How do we get one?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 09:24 AM   #48
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by salfeet84 View Post
I took delivery today, and my dealer didn't know anything about the card key when I asked. Is the card for free for each car? How do we get one?
I believe it was a rolling change.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 02:32 PM   #49
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
OMG, really??
Let's go back to normal keys then where you have to press the button. Same thing, you have to take it out off your pocket or purse.
Why do you need to be that close to the door handle???
It's good idea as long as you can do it like with the keys we have now!!!
This is the backup/emergency key to use in the event your phone is dead/broken/lost/etc. Its thin (about half the thickness of a Centurion card so it can remain in a wallet until needed. Just like the Digital Key on the phone, it has to come into close proximity to the handle and be placed in the ignition NFC reader to release the starter. This prevents cloning or fob signal boosting.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 07:12 PM   #50
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

So glad BMW included all these options for unlocking and starting the car. I really like to use my phone for everything but the NFC card is nice to have in my wallet just in case my phone dies.

I only wish BMW will integrate the ConnectedDrive app more within the phone, such as having home screen widgets to quickly unlock or start the car without having to go into the app each time.

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 08:05 PM   #51
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

The only key I leave the house with is the one for the car so I’m all for this. I hate carrying keys.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 08:26 PM   #52
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
I think it is a great option. I do not like going swimming or to the beach or exercising and leaving my keys with access to my car unattended. The idea of having a card I can keep in my bathing suit and get wet and not a bulky fob is a great OPTION, but not that useful for everyday use.
I say don't over react and kudos BMW (flame suit on:-)).
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      12-16-2018, 02:02 AM   #53
petripaa
Enlisted Member
Finland
Rep
Drives: i3 94Ah -18, G21 M340i -19

I think this is great idea. It is not replacement of the actual key, it is a backup when you don't have keyfob with you for reason or another.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 08:24 AM   #54
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by YasF80_SLO View Post
seems like it would be more work to use the keycard.

take keycard out to scan door for entry, and place in center console to start car.

vs.

put key in pocket, profit.

I know which one I prefer...
Lol I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it means you don't need the fob one less thing to carry but once you're in the car you need to place it on the wireless charger so that's lame. I'm assuming you then can place your phone on top of the card or will that cause interference?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #55
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by salfeet84 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post

Does it also work with the wireless charger to drive the car while attached to the phone like that?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 08:28 AM   #56
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Quote:
OMG, really??
Let's go back to normal keys then where you have to press the button. Same thing, you have to take it out off your pocket or purse.
This is the backup/emergency key to use in the event your phone is dead/broken/lost/etc. Its thin (about half the thickness of a Centurion card so it can remain in a wallet until needed. Just like the Digital Key on the phone, it has to come into close proximity to the handle and be placed in the ignition NFC reader to release the starter. This prevents cloning or fob signal boosting.
I always wonder how well nfc prevents the signal from being read from a distance with a strong enough directional antenna. It's possible to communicate with the voyager space craft from earth and I've seen hacks that can read a wireless signal from a distance even when outside the signal range.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 08:30 AM   #57
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
The only key I leave the house with is the one for the car so I'm all for this. I hate carrying keys.
I would like a key for my Apple Watch to unlock and drive the car as long as I'm wearing it.
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      12-16-2018, 09:34 AM   #58
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
OMG, really??
I always wonder how well nfc prevents the signal from being read from a distance with a strong enough directional antenna. It's possible to communicate with the voyager space craft from earth and I've seen hacks that can read a wireless signal from a distance even when outside the signal range.
It's near impossible without getting in between the access unit and the car (4cm max range). Then there's several layers of security to authentic including Facial Recognition/fingerprint, and one way, non reversible authentication token that has to match the digital signature which is also changes with each completed cycle. Add to that, the door and ignition have separate tokens as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 04:43 PM   #59
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Max range for NFC is 3 feet so keeping it in wallet is feasible from a technical standpoint. Can't speak for the security aspect of it though.

I'd prefer to just have a slimmer key. How about M cars not have uglier/fatter keys than some base models.
      12-16-2018, 04:44 PM   #60
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
OMG, really??
It's near impossible without getting in between the access unit and the car (4cm max range). Then there's several layers of security to authentic including Facial Recognition/fingerprint, and one way, non reversible authentication token that has to match the digital signature which is also changes with each completed cycle. Add to that, the door and ignition have separate tokens as well.
Probably easier to hack the comfort access all you need is a wire with one end near the key fob and the other end near the door.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 10:05 PM   #61
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
New BMW keys go to sleep if not moved for 1 minute to prevent someone from hacking / steaking the signals

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 08:07 AM   #62
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

This thread is hilarious - barring the 6 or so people who think this is useful, it's all a bunch of we don't need it this, what a waste of time/money etc

All we need now is for someone to say that BMW should bring the 6MT back and stop all this new-tangled technology.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 08:23 PM   #63
JStachmo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 440xi Gran Coupe

Call me old fashioned (not sure I even qualify for that at 31yrs old) but I really miss having an actual key to pop in the ignition and crank to turn the car on
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 06:06 PM   #64
Alextoh76
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1

Whats the part number to this
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 12:00 AM   #65
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

I think this would be useful.

Maybe i'm a little younger (I'm in my mid 30s), but when I had my F30 I once lost my keys at a music festival. I also once had a beach club locker attendant give my party's bag of personal items including my Audi's car keys we checked in to the wrong party (we got them back after 6 hours... of panic)

Both times NFC based door unlocking would have at least made it less terrifying and panic filled. I almost always have my phone, and being able to unlock my car doors regardless of internet connectivity with my phone would have allowed me to get into my car.

Also as an android guy I will point out that this because apple sucks won't work with an iphone because apple doesn't open up NFC. But yeah I'd love to have this on a G20. Its probably not a hard feature to implement, so its not like it costs millions to develop like a manual would and its just another competitive useful feature.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 09:27 AM   #66
BMWLifeForMe
Registered
Rep
Drives: '18 Silver 330e M Sport

Looks incredible! Can't wait for it to be brought to the iPhone!

These are incredible. What is the process to get one of these cards if you have an iphone? Do you need to special order it?
Appreciate 0