Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics New update 07/2020.54

11-16-2020, 08:46 AM   #23
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yama View Post
At the moment, I have 11/2019.70 in my G20 (delivery date may 2019).

My car downloaded the update (07/2020.54) but the installation doesn't start

Since November 1st, I have this message on the Remote Software Upgrade screen (translated to english by me) :
"preparations for update to version 07/2020.54 completed
You will be informed as soon as the update can be installed
..."

I don't understand why the installation doesn't start. According to the manual, there are some requirements (battery, cold engine, etc.) but in my opinion, I'm ok with that.
I didn't use the car for 3 or 4 weeks (only short trips). So the battery level was my first idea, but long trips to recharge it didn't change anything for the update.

Do you have an idea?
My 21 M340i would not install the update until I charged the battery.
Then it required me to turn the motor off, but leave the iDrive on, before going into the remote upgrade menu and beginning the upgrade.

I needed:
1. A charged battery
2. Engine Off
3. iDrive On
4. Go to Upgrade menu and start upgrade.

The update installed in my garage with me out of the car and turned off the iDrive by itself when it was through.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 09:24 AM   #24
Yama
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
My 21 M340i would not install the update until I charged the battery.
Then it required me to turn the motor off, but leave the iDrive on, before going into the remote upgrade menu and beginning the upgrade.

I needed:
1. A charged battery
2. Engine Off
3. iDrive On
4. Go to Upgrade menu and start upgrade.

The update installed in my garage with me out of the car and turned off the iDrive by itself when it was through.
Yes it was like that when I did a minor update last year.
However, this time, the system doesn't suggest the installation and only say "I downloaded the update and will tell you when I'm ready to install".

How can I check the battery status? According to the manual, there is a check window on the battery but I didn't find it (I found this type of battery https://shop.bmw.be/files/bsk_products_00198_img.jpg).

I think that I'll drive for a long time to charge the battery. However, no message about low battery :/
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 10:43 AM   #25
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yama View Post
At the moment, I have 11/2019.70 in my G20 (delivery date may 2019).

My car downloaded the update (07/2020.54) but the installation doesn't start

Since November 1st, I have this message on the Remote Software Upgrade screen (translated to english by me) :
"preparations for update to version 07/2020.54 completed
You will be informed as soon as the update can be installed
..."

I don't understand why the installation doesn't start. According to the manual, there are some requirements (battery, cold engine, etc.) but in my opinion, I'm ok with that.
I didn't use the car for 3 or 4 weeks (only short trips). So the battery level was my first idea, but long trips to recharge it didn't change anything for the update.

Do you have an idea?
I got exactly the same message in my X5 (G05). I attached a battery charger that after two days still hadn't fully charged it. I got bored and detached the charger and then got in my X5, but didn't start the engine. The message appeared instantly on my iDrive screen that it was ready to start the update.

I'd say it's 99% certain your battery is too low.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 05:11 PM   #26
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Same here, after putting my car on a charger for 8 hours, when I started the ignition (engine off), it was available to install instantly.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 09:20 PM   #27
imported_nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekcs View Post
2020 MY?
Yup 2020, actually after some driving the pops and burbles came back. I think the ECU has some learning period after they flash it where it's a little muffled
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 07:14 AM   #28
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Mike View Post
Yup 2020, actually after some driving the pops and burbles came back. I think the ECU has some learning period after they flash it where it's a little muffled
I swear my MY20 sounds and responds much better. Pops and burbles, but no random fart pops, which is great. I feel like Sport Plus is ok to drive in again at lows speeds...all without looking dumb when the car sharts.
Appreciate 2
greekcs773.00
      11-18-2020, 02:24 PM   #29
SigurWes
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Mine froze at 57% and won't restart
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 02:52 PM   #30
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigurWes View Post
Mine froze at 57% and won't restart
Is it stuck on a black screen with the status bar @ 57%?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 06:01 PM   #31
SigurWes
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

No black screen, just where it says updating in status it still says preparing, 57% for two days now.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 12:39 PM   #32
M3ditate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ALL of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigurWes View Post
No black screen, just where it says updating in status it still says preparing, 57% for two days now.
Do you have enough gas in the car?
Are you parked on an incline/decline now?
It's much better to update from the app, and it will transfer while you drive significantly faster than while static.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 07:04 AM   #33
Yama
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
I got exactly the same message in my X5 (G05). I attached a battery charger that after two days still hadn't fully charged it. I got bored and detached the charger and then got in my X5, but didn't start the engine. The message appeared instantly on my iDrive screen that it was ready to start the update.

I'd say it's 99% certain your battery is too low.
I called BMW Hotline and they told me to go to the car dealer to force the update.

After that, my car is updated but....I got 11/2020 and not 07/2020

Last edited by Yama; 12-23-2020 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 11:25 AM   #34
Nfuk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d,420d

Used the battery self charge to get update sorted

Not sure if anyone is still having a problem here, but I think i found a solution. I just found out (almost a year later) that my car hadn't been receiving OTA updates, but also hadn't been telling me (annoying!). I managed to get the 07/2020 download sorted through the app etc, but the car kept showing 'we'll tell you when it's ready to be installed' with nothing else, and no guide on what was happening.

Spoke to Connected Drive team multiple times, one of whom told me to take a long drive, another told to me to update apps and services and another told me to just to wait. I did my research, including a lot of what's been said on here and identified that it was probably a low battery - I like others am a relatively short journey driver, so it's very possible it had worn down. I took a long drive, as I had been suggested to do, but it didn't solve the problem and I couldn't work out why. Then I noticed a post about the regenerative braking system, which prompted me to realise that driving alone wasn't charging the battery and it needed special action.

Further research helped me to realise that you can charge the battery by braking, but also by driving at speed, and releasing your foot from the accelerator. Took the car for the same long journey I'd done from the initial C-D call and consciously put the car in charge as I was on the road (it shows you it's charging both in cockpit on mpg setting, and also in the idrive in power flow) as much as I could.

The minute I stopped the car and parked, the update kicked in! initially, it still wouldn't install so I guessed I hadn't charged it quite enough so did the same again, and the next time the update went straight through and fully installed.

Why C-D team couldn't just highlight that it's probably a battery level issue and you can self charge is beyond me, but anyway, it's worked.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 08:35 PM   #35
Enigma735
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfuk View Post
Not sure if anyone is still having a problem here, but I think i found a solution. I just found out (almost a year later) that my car hadn't been receiving OTA updates, but also hadn't been telling me (annoying!). I managed to get the 07/2020 download sorted through the app etc, but the car kept showing 'we'll tell you when it's ready to be installed' with nothing else, and no guide on what was happening.

Spoke to Connected Drive team multiple times, one of whom told me to take a long drive, another told to me to update apps and services and another told me to just to wait. I did my research, including a lot of what's been said on here and identified that it was probably a low battery - I like others am a relatively short journey driver, so it's very possible it had worn down. I took a long drive, as I had been suggested to do, but it didn't solve the problem and I couldn't work out why. Then I noticed a post about the regenerative braking system, which prompted me to realise that driving alone wasn't charging the battery and it needed special action.

Further research helped me to realise that you can charge the battery by braking, but also by driving at speed, and releasing your foot from the accelerator. Took the car for the same long journey I'd done from the initial C-D call and consciously put the car in charge as I was on the road (it shows you it's charging both in cockpit on mpg setting, and also in the idrive in power flow) as much as I could.

The minute I stopped the car and parked, the update kicked in! initially, it still wouldn't install so I guessed I hadn't charged it quite enough so did the same again, and the next time the update went straight through and fully installed.

Why C-D team couldn't just highlight that it's probably a battery level issue and you can self charge is beyond me, but anyway, it's worked.
Regenerative braking only works in Comfort right?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 10:30 AM   #36
Nfuk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d,420d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma735 View Post
Regenerative braking only works in Comfort right?
Good question, I didn't check actually, but that would make sense....
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 12:43 PM   #37
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
I have successfully downloaded the latest update but IMO we went backwards than fw.

Heated steering wheel pre heating is now GONE
Car won't remember Auto higbeams (it just turns it off every start up)
Still no fix drivers side heated seat via remote start (only the passenger side comes on)

And whatever they actually updated is no use to me.

Android Auto completely sucks on this car to a level where I actually disabled it.

Getting tired of re-coding the car after every upgrade which I am sure is BMWs goal. I think I am going to just turn off the OTA updates if I possibly can.

Peace.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0