Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Should I put runflat tires?

10-31-2020, 09:48 AM   #1
bimmerMytlas
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340XI G20

Should I put runflat tires?

Hi guys,

I'm new owner for M340XI from Europe, here the car comes with runflat tires and today I went to tires dealer and ask for winter tires offer, however he stated that in "Order not to void the car warranty I should stick to runflat" that sound kind of ?!?
So my question is are you guys driving your cars only with runflat and do you think getting non runflat tires will really void warranty LOL.
The problem here is I need to wait 2 weeks for delivery and pay 2x more if I wanna stick to runflat tires.
And the only benefit from runflat tires are that you can drive 100 mph with flat tire, which dosen't help me at all, if I get flat tire I will call a tow truck anyway.
Also runflat tires make the ride more roughly so I don't see any benefit from having runflat tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 10:32 AM   #2
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Here in the U.S. using non-RFT would not void your warranty. In the states, at least, 19” non-RFT are available as an option. You might want to go to the BMW configurator for your country and see if non-RFT are available as an option.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

10-31-2020, 10:44 AM   #3
Aero7000
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i DravitGrau / Cognac

I had Pirelli Sottozero run-flats on F30, and was very happy, ride was not harsh as BMW recommends to go with an inch smaller rims giving you more sidewall.
Now I got Bridgestone Blizzak LM-001 run-flats for M340 but did not have a chance to put them on yet.

I had two blow outs with run-flat's and just drove to the my mechanic's garage, no need to wait for tow truck during rush hour, so no regrets for having them.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 11:22 AM   #4
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

Don't forget the reason more blowouts happen with RFT's is because the sidewall is stiffer, as it has to be for a RFT tire. But that doesn't mean that it's better.

In fact, its worse because the impact when you hit something does not translate through the axle & suspension, but is mostly absorbed by the sidewall, causing more frequent problems than with non-RFT's. Ask anyone with RFT's here they will tell you to
switch those out in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 1
chenry2355.50
      10-31-2020, 03:32 PM   #5
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

Sound like the tire dealer was simply trying to sell you the more expensive run-flats.
Appreciate 1
chenry2355.50
      10-31-2020, 04:37 PM   #6
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Garage List
Hard pass on the run flats. Stateside I belong to AAA premier due to work purposes, so even if I can't throw a spare on I would rather enjoy the ride 99% of the time and be covered for that 1% blow out.

Also, as others mentioned, I've never had a sidewall blow hitting potholes with a conventional tire. When the next model year came out and run flats were standard, I blew two tires in the first 10k miles.

I switched to non-run flats and have not had a single incident since.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 05:48 PM   #7
bimmerMytlas
Private
Rep

Should ask my BMW dealer what he thinks about it I really don't wanna put runflats ...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 06:04 PM   #8
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerMytlas View Post
Should ask my BMW dealer what he thinks about it I really don't wanna put runflats ...
Unfortunately, I don't think they're going to care. If it's a lease, they will probably tell you that either That A. you can't put on non-RFT's, or B. will tell you to buy a tire insurance policy.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 05:07 AM   #9
Oxide_Touring
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Cant say for sure, but I believe my winter runflats are making the noise I have got now... just saying
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 05:56 AM   #10
nirvanabob
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw F30 335i xDrive 2013

I used to put run flat tires on my car but when i switch to the regular ones the difference is big! Ride, confort, wearing etc... I drive an M340 now with Michelin Sport Pilot for summer and for winter I use Nokian Hakkapellita R3 best I ever had!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 06:57 AM   #11
bimmerMytlas
Private
Rep

Yes, but problem is that here in Bulgaria I cannot find any Premium tires with 225/45/18 front and 255/40/18 rear for winter and to be non run-flat.
Basically Pirelli, Continental,Michelin they are all Runflat on those dimensions .. only some poor brand like Nexen have non-runflat.

Guess I will have to put again runflats..
Will check tomorrow at BMW dealer to see what they can offer me.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 12:20 PM   #12
PauloBairn
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320d Sport

What about dropping a size and moving to a square set up?
I have just changed over my wheels today to a set of 17 inch Borbet alloys with non runflat winter Goodyear tyres which have done really well in winter tyre tests. Also purchased some tyreweld should I get a puncture. I know some will disagree but it is a risk that i am willing to accept. Mr Winter wheels supplied them and have to say they were brilliant to deal with. I'm sure they deliver throughout Europe and are guaranteed to fit. Don't see how it could affect your warranty as BMW sell spare wheels for the G20

As an aside, recently whilst on holiday I had a puncture (nail in centre of tread) on one of my runflats which no one would repair so cost me over £150 to replace and cost me a day of my holiday, if it was a non runflat it would have cost no more than £20 to repair and could have been done at my leisure. As soon as my current summer tyres wear i will be changing the lot. As far as i can see, there is little benefit in run flats other than a cost saving exercise by the manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 02:46 PM   #13
bimmerMytlas
Private
Rep

Can I use square set up? Doesn't my RIMS force me to have 225/45 front and 255/50 rear? I really don't wanna buy new RIMS as they are quite expensive.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 02:54 PM   #14
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep

if you have different size rims front / rear you don't have a square setup, you have staggered. They have non-rft staggered rims for sale.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 03:21 PM   #15
nye2018sd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series (F30)

Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm new owner for M340XI from Europe, here the car comes with runflat tires and today I went to tires dealer and ask for winter tires offer, however he stated that in "Order not to void the car warranty I should stick to runflat" that sound kind of ?!?
So my question is are you guys driving your cars only with runflat and do you think getting non runflat tires will really void warranty LOL.
The problem here is I need to wait 2 weeks for delivery and pay 2x more if I wanna stick to runflat tires.
And the only benefit from runflat tires are that you can drive 100 mph with flat tire, which dosen't help me at all, if I get flat tire I will call a tow truck anyway.
Also runflat tires make the ride more roughly so I don't see any benefit from having runflat tires.

I have been driving on BMW Runflat tires for over 15 years. Had 2 flats only and no blowout. These are the safest and most convenient package that comes with your BMW. Don't listen to this nonsense of replacing your RFT's with non RFT's.

Your car's chassis/suspension has been specifically tuned to your RFT Tires. If you think the ride is too harsh for your liking then you should always test drive before you buy.

What are you going to do if you get a flat tire and you have non RFT's? Pull to the side of the road, replace the tire! or call a tow truck! Safety, and inconvencne right there.

Stick with your Manufacturer recommended tires. They put those tires their for a reason and not just for cosmetics and looks.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 03:35 PM   #16
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nye2018sd View Post
Quote:
Hi guys,

I have been driving on BMW Runflat tires for over 15 years. Had 2 flats only and no blowout. These are the safest and most convenient package that comes with your BMW. Don't listen to this nonsense of replacing your RFT's with non RFT's.

Your car's chassis/suspension has been specifically tuned to your RFT Tires. If you think the ride is too harsh for your liking then you should always test drive before you buy.

What are you going to do if you get a flat tire and you have non RFT's? Pull to the side of the road, replace the tire! or call a tow truck! Safety, and inconvencne right there.

Stick with your Manufacturer recommended tires. They put those tires their for a reason and not just for cosmetics and looks.
Dude you are the last person in this thread the OP should take advice from. Do you know why BMW outfits run-fts on the majority of their cars? It's because it improves margins for dealerships in terms of tire insurance sales and replacement costs.

They tell you it's a convenience while in reality, the structure of the tires causes more blowouts when statistically less blowouts will happen with non-RFT's. Sure, it's an "inconvenience" to pull over on the side of the road and wait for a tow truck. But how often does a complete blowout happen? I've had RFT's and have had many more instances of tears in the sidewall that will force you to replace the tire completely. And if you don't have tire insurance, guess what? That's 300-400 dollars out of pocket.

Do you know what M owners do? They carry a pump and patching compound and they don't have run flat tires.

Stop being a corporate shill and forcing unnecessary costs down this guy's throat. You clearly don't understand the hidden intent of RFTS, you also live on the west coast where you have better roads in general. I also wouldn't care if my suspension is tuned for tires if it meant saving a couple hundred bucks in tire costs. Ive learned the hard way and will never go back to run-FTS. From a performance and longevity perspective, any enthusiast here will tell you to ditch those immediately.

But I'll gladly have what you're smoking because it looks like it works.

Last edited by ThatKrazyPolak; 11-01-2020 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 2
VetteGuy845.50
      11-01-2020, 03:43 PM   #17
bimmerMytlas
Private
Rep

I'm now totally confused. I have read that also that they tune the suspension for run-flats and I don't know how the car will act with non-run flats.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 04:11 PM   #18
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

If you switch to non-RFT for the winter you might consider also carrying a space saver spare wheel. Depends where you drive I guess - I wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a flat.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 04:35 PM   #19
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

What a load of BS. Tuned for runflats? Cars are designed and tested with round, rubber compound tires. Non-runflats are simply better. More comfortable, less noisy, and usually better grip and treadwear (depends on tire spec). Carry a cheap plug kit. 1) they are cheap and will last the lifetime of the tire if it can be saved. 2) runflats are often refused to be fixed

If you live in an urban or suburban area, getting a flat is really not a concern. If you live in the middle of nowhere, sure, go with runflats... or carry a spare. You should have BMW roadside assistance, coverage through insurance, AAA, and/or other programs like Chase benefits. You still have to deal with the damaged tire. It just saves you waiting for a tow, if that's even needed. But the negatives far outweigh that, IMO.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 05:16 PM   #20
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Can I use square set up? Doesn't my RIMS force me to have 225/45 front and 255/50 rear? I really don't wanna buy new RIMS as they are quite expensive.
The suggestion is to buy a dedicated set of winter tires AND wheels. Swapping tires on and off your factory wheels twice a year is a recipe for damaged wheels.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

11-01-2020, 06:22 PM   #21
oz555
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340i x-drive

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
Quote:
Hi guys,

Quote:
Hi guys,

No. You don't need to buy runflat. When You spec the car You can choose sport or runflat tires. You can check german or any other cinfigurator https://configure.bmw.de/de_DE/confi...KA,S08TF,S09QX
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 07:32 PM   #22
TorontoGambler
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 Inscription

Quote:
Originally Posted by nye2018sd View Post

The manufacture does recommend non-rfts so no idea what you’re talking about and it’s not debatable it’s 100% a better ride in non-rfts. Rfts are definitely an option if you value convenience during a tire crisis over the comfort and performance of your daily drive but to be sure you are compromising your ride, which is absolutely fine... but not for me. I’ll never own them again.
Appreciate 0