Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M440 Xi vs M4: Big trade-off?

10-30-2020, 01:27 PM   #1
gurns
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Dravit Grey

M440 Xi vs M4: Big trade-off?

My ‘18 M4 was totaled about 2 months ago. I loved driving it; tight, quick, responsive and a little stiff, too. Seriously considered the 2021 M4 but the base model only comes in a MT and the Comp version (AT with DCT) will not be delivered until mid next year. Using the shifter paddles really appealed to me as they allowed quicker shifting and keeping both my hands on the wheel. I’ve contemplated all kinds of work around options from buying a jalopy, leasing a car, etc for the interim period. What I would like to know is from those who have perhaps driven an M to now driving a M340 or M440 (Or vice versa) your opinions on the two different models. This whole matter is purely subjective but I welcome your comments just the same. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 06:35 PM   #2
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurns View Post
My '18 M4 was totaled about 2 months ago. I loved driving it; tight, quick, responsive and a little stiff, too. Seriously considered the 2021 M4 but the base model only comes in a MT and the Comp version (AT with DCT) will not be delivered until mid next year. Using the shifter paddles really appealed to me as they allowed quicker shifting and keeping both my hands on the wheel. I've contemplated all kinds of work around options from buying a jalopy, leasing a car, etc for the interim period. What I would like to know is from those who have perhaps driven an M to now driving a M340 or M440 (Or vice versa) your opinions on the two different models. This whole matter is purely subjective but I welcome your comments just the same. Cheers!
You can order a comp model M4 now, some dealers have dec and jan build allocations, the base and comp are being released simultaneously. If you ordered an m440 the timeline wouldn't be significantly different maybe 4-5 weeks sooner depending on dealer allocations around you. (but price will be different lol)

It is the xdrive models that production does not start until July next year.

I want an xdrive model M3 but need a new car by dec instead of waiting the year I leased an m340. It's a great car but it's not the same as full m
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 09:29 PM   #3
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
You can order a comp model M4 now, some dealers have dec and jan build allocations, the base and comp are being released simultaneously. If you ordered an m440 the timeline wouldn't be significantly different maybe 4-5 weeks sooner depending on dealer allocations around you. (but price will be different lol)

I want an xdrive model M3 but need a new car by dec instead of waiting the year I leased an m340. It's a great car but it's not the same as full m
I think you could probably pick from several well specced out m440is already, I saw a few in my dealer showroom and in the lot.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 01:00 AM   #4
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Get the f82.

The exterior is way better & the driving experience is literally night and day. I've driven the g20 hard and f82 hard and I'd hate to have to daily a g20 as a f82 owner now, if someone says otherwise they don't drive their cars right.

Only reason to get the g2x would be for the tech/comfort.

Also the DCT is amazing while the AT in the g2x is lifeless
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25076.00
      10-31-2020, 03:46 AM   #5
bmwmboss
Rep
Drives: Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdrdf82 View Post
Get the f82.

The exterior is way better & the driving experience is literally night and day. I've driven the g20 hard and f82 hard and I'd hate to have to daily a g20 as a f82 owner now, if someone says otherwise they don't drive their cars right.

Are you talking about the G20 M340i?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 07:44 AM   #6
gurns
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Dravit Grey

Many thanks for the replies thus far. I must say each one brings up a point I have mulled over again and again. In full disclosure, I have a M440 on order which is scheduled for delivery in early December. I waited to order it until I drove one. Honestly, I was a bit let down by the experience though I couldn’t really drive it as I would have liked. Compared to my old M there was a pretty distinct difference. Being I have no money at stake at this point on the M440, I just may shift gears () and order the M Comp. Sure appreciate the opinions.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 08:17 AM   #7
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post

Those Dec and Jan build allocations will likely be held at port, typical for most new chasis launches. I believe the consensus is they'll start actually being delivered in March. This would be similar to the G22, which went into production in July and was held up until just recently.

Regarding price, I thought about an M440 to hold me over until I could get an M4 with MxDrive after driving all the variants, getting a better discount, etc., but really with how I would spec an M440, I could get a stripped down M4 for just a couple grand more without compromising much, and even spec'd out comparably (before I add carbon buckets and such), you're talking about around 8k more (71k vs 79k for me).

Some reviews of the M440 say it stays a lot flatter when cornering than the M340, which should solve my main driving concerns because I'm not a big fan of the M340 for that reason. For me, the bigger personal issue is that I can't stand the seats and leather options in the lower trim cars, I paid dearly to get out of two cars because I didn't want to put up with the cheap feel of the interior compared to a higher trim or model. Unless it was something I wouldn't daily like a M2C for weekend or track duty, I won't get another BMW again without merino or nappa leather, with it at least being extended as well, but likely full.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 12:30 PM   #8
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmboss View Post
Quote:
Get the f82.

Yeah.

The g20 m340i xdrive is fun and dynamic and everything in it's own right but I think OP should test drive it himself and definitely not make the assumption that it won't be far off from the f82.

M and the m-badge performance whatever line cars are drastically different in terms of driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 05:00 AM   #9
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmboss View Post
Quote:
Get the f82.

Yeah.

The g20 m340i xdrive is fun and dynamic and everything in it's own right but I think OP should test drive it himself and definitely not make the assumption that it won't be far off from the f82.

M and the m-badge performance whatever line cars are drastically different in terms of driving experience.
Cross shopped the G20 M340i/F80 M3 and much preferred the M340i. In terms of daily drive ability comfort/performance it was the more balanced car. The F80 although now quite dated is a lot sharper in handling and the DCT is really crisp but found the bumpy ride horrible to contend with on a daily basis. Most of all I couldn't get past the lacklustre S55, potential crank hub floor, and then there's the exhaust note :
Appreciate 0