Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions New M340i - Thoughts and questions

07-13-2020, 03:51 PM   #1
blackcoffee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW m340i xdrive

New M340i - Thoughts and questions

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
To start - I picked up my Alpine White m340i xdrive 3 weeks ago. It is my only car, so it will be handling all duties. My previous car was a 2012 Ford Focus SE hatch manual - while not quick, it was a fun car and proved to be quite reliable. I began the deep plunge into car searching almost two months ago and I had a few options on the list I was considering - MB c43, CPO m3, CPO c63, CPO m550i, alfa guilia and the m340. Luxury sport sedans was a new world to me and I had a ton of information to digest. I love researching, so I spent hours upon hours consuming reviews and watching YT videos. Anyways, I've always loved BMW and I suppose I was naturally leaning in that direction from the jump. The BMW dealer was my first stop - and, it turned out, my only stop. The m340 was the only test car I drove from the list above and I committed right after completing the test drive. Options on my m340 include:

Driver assistance package
Parking assistance package
Premium package
19" 791 wheels w/ Pirelli rfts
Adaptive M suspension
HK audio
Wireless charging
Black leather w/ blue stitching

Exterior: I do love the way this car looks. I think it has a muscular stance and looks great from any angle - IMO, a certain improvement over the f30. The wheels are very nice, though they do get dirty easily and part of me wishes I had the 792s, but they're similar in appearance so that's fine. I have the standard g20 grill (not the diamond waterfall) and it's glossy black; I think it's look fantastic. Score: 9/10

Interior: I like the interior, though it doesn't wow me. The seats are supportive, comfortable and very customizable. I initially wanted a cognac interior, but the dealer didn't have that so I wound up with the black leather and blue stitching. I think it looks phenomenal (pictures don't do it justice) and I'm very happy I have it (it wasn't even on my radar until I saw it person!). I also think the ambient lighting contrasts perfectly with the darker interior and night drives are a visual treat. The rest of the cabin is solid. The steering wheel is big and thick and it feels wonderful in hand. The physical touch buttons that adorn the center console are fine but nothing to write home about. Backseat space is sufficient - I recently hauled my future mother-in-law and brother-in-law on a road trip and they had nothing but good things to say about the backseat. I think what bothers me about the interior is that feel a little sparse - a nicer word would be "minimalist", but I can't shake the feeling that I wish they had done more with it, particularly given how plush the Genesis g70 cabin looks (for less money).
Score: 7/10

Technology: The m340 is packed with tech and I love it. The surround view camera is a dream, I'm obsessed with the HUD (I don't think I'll ever go back to not having it) and the driver assistance programs generally work well (though the lane keep assist function is super aggressive - I've since turned it off). The 10.2" touch display is responsive, crisp and easy to use. I personally enjoy the Live Cockpit Pro, though I know it's not everyone's favorite (I can't speak to how it compares to something like Audi's MMI as I have not seen that display in person). Wireless Apple Car Play is a huge bonus and it's worked very well thus far with only one exception when it disconnected. The BMW app is also a nice touch - it's a little gimmicky, but being able to remote start the car and check on its surroundings is both fun and useful.
Score: 9/10

Driving: There's no other way to put this: the m340 hauls. The b58 engine is sublime in its power delivery and I always smile at how responsive and immediate the power is. The ZF-8 is a perfect partner and shifts are buttery smooth. I've never driven (let alone owned) a car with this much power and it's a thrill to be pushed back in the seat when hammering on the accelerator. I've pushed it hard only a couple of times (being mindful of the break in period) and it's a joy to drive hard. As for suspension, I think BMW did a nice job delineating between the settings. Comfort is quite agreeable for casual drives and does well to soak up road imperfections, though the ride can sometimes be a bit bumpy (I wouldn't go so far as to say it's "harsh"); I think most of this may be due to the RTFs, as I've heard many people have a much smoother ride with something like Pilot 4s. As much as I'd love to swap our the RTFs for something better, I don't currently have the storage space for an extra set of tires, so I feel a little stuck right now. Anyway, I digress. Back to the ride - steering in comfort mode still has a nice weight to it, but it's not overly done. Sport and Sport + are when everything jumps up a considerable degree and you start to really see, feel and hear what this car is capable of. In these two modes, the exhaust sounds excellent with plenty of burps heard inside the cabin. Note: this sound is practically non-existent when in comfort mode, and it caught my fiance off guard when I threw it into Sport + when out for a drive - she thought something was wrong with the car! I don't notice a huge leap between Sport and Sport +, but the steering is definitely heavier and the exhaust louder in the latter. I'm patiently waiting for the break in period to be done as I really want to throw this thing into Sport + on a much more regular basis so I can get a better feel for it. I will say this - it is alarmingly easy to go very fast in this car. I often find myself 20-30 mph over the limit without having any idea. I suppose that's a two-sided coin: on the one side, the car is remarkably composed at high speeds, but on the other I can't help but wonder if BMW may have done well to put a bit more "rawness" into the m340. With that said, I think the m340 really does the dual-car act quite well - it can be a composed cruiser when needed, and a loud, voracious rocket ship when the mood strikes.
Score: 9/10

As you can tell, I love the m340. I realize my scores are high, but keep in mind that this is partly due to my own personal car experience/history and jumping into the m340 really was entering a new world of performance. I am not an objective journalist, so my thoughts on the car are biased - take that as you will.

Now, for a couple other thoughts:

1) I do wish I had test drove a few other options in this segment. Especially the c43 - its reputation for a stiff ride put me off it, but I wished I had at least gotten a feel for its more aggressive nature. But, I'm glad I didn't buy a 2020 c43 since the refresh is upon us and I would have been sorely disappointed to land in an older model.

2) After buying the m340, I had a brief period where I regretted not going full m3. Let me be clear - I fully realize the m340 is not a substitute for an m3, or even an m3 "lite". It's nomenclature is probably misleading and should really just be called the 340i. In any case, CPO m3s can be had for very similar money and I think the outgoing f80 just looks so.damn.sexy. In some ways, I still have that regret, but I'm trying to keep things in perspective: the m340i is probably the better daily driver (or so I've read) and the updated tech is something I really enjoy. With the new m3 coming out not too long from now, it will be very interesting to hear what that car is like - and see if the new grill is as bad as we all think! Any m3 + m340i owners who want to chime in here, please do so.

As for the other cars on my list - the m550i is big and the reliability of that v8 gave me pause; the guilia is gorgeous but it's reliability as a whole and the lack of a dealer network seriously concerned me; the c63 was in the same boat as the m3 - buy CPO and miss out on some of the newer goodies while having perhaps a less ideal car for everyday use.

So there you have it. Yes, I love the m340. Yes, I wish I had done a bit more test-driving prior to purchase. And yes, I have nagging thoughts about "what ifs"; but I think all of this is probably par for the course after such a substantial purchase.

Also...my fiance drives a Porsche Cayenne and she said she was jealous when we brought the m340 home

Thanks for reading and let me know if you have any questions!
Appreciate 7
EXE462097.00
Soul_Glo13294.50
A6bullet336.00
3erMan153.00
zamboni1124.50
      07-13-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

The c43 is slower than the m340. Driven both, been driven in both, and seen them race each other. I agree that the m340 does feel surprisingly fast for not being an M car. C43's interior is definitely nicer with the steering wheel + digi dash looking like its out of a 120k full on AMG.

You made a good decision, because as long as you don't drive an f80 or f82 You'll never realize what you're missing and the g20 will feel perfect. I honestly was going to go with a c43/m340 til I drove an f82 and compared to the M it literally felt like a Honda Accord. It's not something you feel at the track, it's something you feel with any sort of spirited driving. Regardless, the m340 is a great machine. My advice is not to drive an M until you want to buy one lol. It'll make you appreciate the m340 for what it is.

The g20 rides way better and has the nicer interior but I love the F8x driver focused cockpit. Still feels premium without being flashy.
Appreciate 2
DFW_M1638.50
zamboni1124.50
      07-13-2020, 05:04 PM   #3
blackcoffee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdrdf82 View Post
I was deciding between a c43, m340 and used f82 m4. Ended up going with the m4.

The c43 is slower than the m340. Driven both, been driven in both, and seen them race each other. I agree that the m340 does feel surprisingly fast for not being an M car. C43's interior is definitely nicer with the steering wheel + digi dash looking like its out of a 120k full on AMG.

You made a good decision, because as long as you don't drive an f80 or f82 You'll never realize what you're missing and the g20 will feel perfect. I honestly was going to go with a c43/m340 til I drove an f82 and compared to the M it literally felt like a Honda Accord. It's not something you feel at the track, it's something you feel with any sort of spirited driving. Regardless, the m340 is a great machine. My advice is not to drive an M until you want to buy one lol. It'll make you appreciate the m340 for what it is.

The g20 rides way better and has the nicer interior but I love the F8x driver focused cockpit. Still feels premium without being flashy.
That’s what I’m afraid of - once I experience a full M, there will be no going back. I like to think to think I know myself pretty well and when the g80 drops...well I don’t see how I’m going to be able to resist test driving one! What happens after that, I can only guess.
Appreciate 1
bsmf8x777.00
      07-13-2020, 05:45 PM   #4
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoffee View Post
That’s what I’m afraid of - once I experience a full M, there will be no going back. I like to think to think I know myself pretty well and when the g80 drops...well I don’t see how I’m going to be able to resist test driving one! What happens after that, I can only guess.
I see you’re in PA too...here’s my take on the M. It’s a fun car, but in PA...I always felt like I was dodging potholes, manhole cover depressions, and general PENNDOT stupidity. I had a 2017 M3, which was AWESOME. But, other than not being a real M car...the M340i xDrive is a dream. I always felt like the M3 would hop, skip, and jump away from a standstill and what is acceptable on our roads will downright kill you. Having AWD and the B58 is where it’s at. Not to mention, you aren’t changing wheel sets with the seasons. Plus, with the weather being the way it has here for the last couple years, you can’t really predict the right time.

Hope this helps ease your mind! Don’t get my wrong, I loved my M3 and would love a G80. I have no clue what the price point will be for the AWD optioned one, but I got the M bug out of my system and feel that the M340 is the perfect everyday driver up here. Enjoy your ride, and watch out for those pesky potholes!
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2020, 07:04 PM   #5
blackcoffee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
I see you’re in PA too...here’s my take on the M. It’s a fun car, but in PA...I always felt like I was dodging potholes, manhole cover depressions, and general PENNDOT stupidity. I had a 2017 M3, which was AWESOME. But, other than not being a real M car...the M340i xDrive is a dream. I always felt like the M3 would hop, skip, and jump away from a standstill and what is acceptable on our roads will downright kill you. Having AWD and the B58 is where it’s at. Not to mention, you aren’t changing wheel sets with the seasons. Plus, with the weather being the way it has here for the last couple years, you can’t really predict the right time.

Hope this helps ease your mind! Don’t get my wrong, I loved my M3 and would love a G80. I have no clue what the price point will be for the AWD optioned one, but I got the M bug out of my system and feel that the M340 is the perfect everyday driver up here. Enjoy your ride, and watch out for those pesky potholes!
This is great to hear and I really appreciate the insight. PA roads are atrocious and I don’t want to constantly be avoiding all the imperfections. Thank you for your thoughts, they really help!
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2020, 11:14 PM   #6
FishMuffins
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Comfort is quite agreeable for casual drives and does well to soak up road imperfections, though the ride can sometimes be a bit bumpy (I wouldn't go so far as to say it's "harsh"); I think most of this may be due to the RTFs, as I've heard many people have a much smoother ride with something like Pilot 4s. As much as I'd love to swap our the RTFs for something better, I don't currently have the storage space for an extra set of tires, so I feel a little stuck right now. Anyway, I digress.
I just picked up my new "to me" M340i today, with 14k miles on it and drove it home 500 miles from the dealership. I have driven the M-Sport Suspension w/ RFTs, M-Adaptive w/ RFT, and mine has M-Adaptive with Pilot 4s. I'd say that the difference was definitely there with RFTs and Pilot 4s, but not as much as you'd think! Tire noise is about the same and the ride is a touch better with 4s. Can't speak for grip/performance driving however since it was mostly highway miles.

Last edited by FishMuffins; 07-13-2020 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: Formatting
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 01:25 AM   #7
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Appreciate 3
      07-14-2020, 01:38 AM   #8
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The M340i is a better daily driver. The M3 is a better sports car. I think there's a misconception among car enthusiasts that you must have the absolute sportiest car to be the best. If you're using your car to get you from point A to point B and rarely if ever use your car for sport or track driving, then you made the right choice.

I'm realistic and I know most people buy M cars simply because it's an M car and never take them for serious drives much less track days and I'm not trying to mock those people. If you can afford it, you can buy whatever you want if it makes you feel good. Nothing wrong with that.

However, if you enjoy comfort and have to drive around your family or friends a lot, then the M340i simply makes more sense.

I personally pretty much only drive my car for fun and only have people in it occasionally and I highly prefer an H pattern shifter so I am waiting for the G80. I also have to buy an M3 before I get too old. If I had another sports car for fun though and I needed a commuter car, I'd buy an M340i in a heartbeat if it had a manual.
Appreciate 2
zamboni1124.50
MBM3401022.50
      07-14-2020, 03:29 AM   #9
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdrdf82 View Post
I was deciding between a c43, m340 and used f82 m4. Ended up going with the m4.

Coming from a M2, I was also tossing up between the F80/82 and the M340i but my view was quite the opposite. I test drove a F80/M340i back to back and the M340i in my opinion was just the better all round car for me. I don't plan on tracking the car so getting another M car just didn't make sense.

In terms of everyday usability I found the M340i offered superior tech, comfort and useable performance.

The ultimate deal breaker for me was the S55 engine in the F80 which I just didn't dig, and then there's the exhaust note! :
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      07-14-2020, 06:17 AM   #10
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Don't stress as you made a great choice that is a fantastic daily driver and a lot of fun on the back roads. I looked at different cars to you. I skipped the C43 as the looks are too boring for my tastes so I tested the CLA45S. Great car but preferred the 6 cylinder and build quality of the M340. I also tested an Audi RS5 (it was a good price second hand). Believe it or not I preferred the M340 overall from a driving experience. It was fast but didn't feel as planted as the M340. I also tested the Genesis G70. Great car but nothing on the M340 and lacked a decent exhaust sound. Felt like it had more turbo lag. Be happy, you have an amazing car that is the envy of many and enjoy it for all it's worth.
Appreciate 3
Ikester192120.50
EXE462097.00
      07-14-2020, 06:40 AM   #11
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
blackcoffee ,

First, great write up & I, for one, appreciate your perspective.

A little over a year ago, I knew it was time to retire my '14 F30 with 125K miles on it. Unlike you, I wanted to stay with BMW as I had terrific experience with my old car & always liked BMWs. My choice was "full" M (ie, M3) or the M340. Because I only track my car a couple of times a year at VIR (reduced this year due to COVID-19) and I use the car as a daily driver, locally & for "regional trips', I went for M340.

For all reasons you mentioned, I have had an absolute blast with it! I typically drive locally in Adaptive mode ( you can code it to start in that), but will occasionally, switch to individual sport mode to let the car "stretch its muscles" -- and, while not a "full M" handles superbly; can't wait to track it this Fall

Congratulations on your new car and all the best!

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 1
zamboni1124.50
      07-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #12
blackcoffee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
Rookie mistake. Here she is:

Attached Images

Last edited by blackcoffee; 07-14-2020 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13294.50
EXE462097.00
      07-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #13
Basilar_tip
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester19 View Post
Coming from a M2, I was also tossing up between the F80/82 and the M340i but my view was quite the opposite. I test drove a F80/M340i back to back and the M340i in my opinion was just the better all round car for me. I don't plan on tracking the car so getting another M car just didn't make sense.

In terms of everyday usability I found the M340i offered superior tech, comfort and useable performance.

The ultimate deal breaker for me was the S55 engine in the F80 which I just didn't dig, and then there's the exhaust note! :
Glad to see I am not the only one who wasn't that impressed by the M3. I think it sounded bad and I didn't care for its interior and tech. Engine didn't seem that responsive to me. Felt like I was driving a a big V8 Camaro. I'd pick the M340 over it any day of the week, and I did with a cash purchase, so spare me the "Can't afford a M car". I am tempted to try the new M3 as the M340 is great but it could be better with more aggressive fenders, more power and better steering feel.
Appreciate 1
Ikester192120.50
      07-14-2020, 08:45 AM   #14
blackcoffee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
The M340i is a better daily driver. The M3 is a better sports car. I think there's a misconception among car enthusiasts that you must have the absolute sportiest car to be the best. If you're using your car to get you from point A to point B and rarely if ever use your car for sport or track driving, then you made the right choice.

I'm realistic and I know most people buy M cars simply because it's an M car and never take them for serious drives much less track days and I'm not trying to mock those people. If you can afford it, you can buy whatever you want if it makes you feel good. Nothing wrong with that.

However, if you enjoy comfort and have to drive around your family or friends a lot, then the M340i simply makes more sense.

I personally pretty much only drive my car for fun and only have people in it occasionally and I highly prefer an H pattern shifter so I am waiting for the G80. I also have to buy an M3 before I get too old. If I had another sports car for fun though and I needed a commuter car, I'd buy an M340i in a heartbeat if it had a manual.
Thanks for the thoughts. Part of my hang up was that I could have swung an m3 from a financial standpoint - whether a new g80 or a CPO f80. Please don't think I'm trying to low key flex here - it's just me knowing that I could have done it, but didn't. It would be easier if the car was simply too much money and didn't fit in the budget! It would be simple to just keep moving without that nagging thought in the back of the head. With that said, my m340 will be 100% be my daily driver. I doubt I'll ever track my car. Never say never, but it's not something I've ever been interested in. We'll see what happens down the road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bris-M340i View Post
Don't stress as you made a great choice that is a fantastic daily driver and a lot of fun on the back roads. I looked at different cars to you. I skipped the C43 as the looks are too boring for my tastes so I tested the CLA45S. Great car but preferred the 6 cylinder and build quality of the M340. I also tested an Audi RS5 (it was a good price second hand). Believe it or not I preferred the M340 overall from a driving experience. It was fast but didn't feel as planted as the M340. I also tested the Genesis G70. Great car but nothing on the M340 and lacked a decent exhaust sound. Felt like it had more turbo lag. Be happy, you have an amazing car that is the envy of many and enjoy it for all it's worth.
Very good to hear! The rs5 sportback is one good looking ride and I was briefly considering an s5 sportback but felt like it was simply outclassed by the m340 performance wise. Happy to know you're loving the m340!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
blackcoffee ,

First, great write up & I, for one, appreciate your perspective.

A little over a year ago, I knew it was time to retire my '14 F30 with 125K miles on it. Unlike you, I wanted to stay with BMW as I had terrific experience with my old car & always liked BMWs. My choice was "full" M (ie, M3) or the M340. Because I only track my car a couple of times a year at VIR (reduced this year due to COVID-19) and I use the car as a daily driver, locally & for "regional trips', I went for M340.

For all reasons you mentioned, I have had an absolute blast with it! I typically drive locally in Adaptive mode ( you can code it to start in that), but will occasionally, switch to individual sport mode to let the car "stretch its muscles" -- and, while not a "full M" handles superbly; can't wait to track it this Fall

Congratulations on your new car and all the best!
Thanks very much! Awesome to hear you got such good use out of your f30. It's been reassuring to hear that the m340 is suiting people's needs so well as a daily. Keep on enjoying the ride!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:38 AM   #15
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishMuffins View Post
I just picked up my new "to me" M340i today, with 14k miles on it and drove it home 500 miles from the dealership. I have driven the M-Sport Suspension w/ RFTs, M-Adaptive w/ RFT, and mine has M-Adaptive with Pilot 4s. I'd say that the difference was definitely there with RFTs and Pilot 4s, but not as much as you'd think! Tire noise is about the same and the ride is a touch better with 4s. Can't speak for grip/performance driving however since it was mostly highway miles.
The most significant difference between the runflats and Pilot 4S is the grip, wet or dry, it is night and day difference. With my RWD car, there were constant traction issues if surface is wet. Now that I swapped to the Pilot 4S, no more issues. Even in heavy downpour, these tires are like glue which enables you to drive the car much harder.
      07-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #16
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

I owned an 2018 M550i and got the itch to go big, so I traded up to the 2019 M5. While I love the vehicle, it's not ideal for city driving. Frankly, most M cars aren't ideal for the rigors of a large metro.

It's why I ended up also buying an M340i. It's a small, speedy vehicle that easily u-turns and can handle moderately crappy roads with aplomb. I drive it around Dallas metro and then swap to the M5 when I'm heading down to San Antonio or the Texas coast.

To be fair, my old Porsche Macan Turbo was the best of both worlds. I miss that hot hatch
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2020, 12:03 PM   #17
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin_Nicholas View Post
I owned an 2018 M550i and got the itch to go big, so I traded up to the 2019 M5. While I love the vehicle, it's not ideal for city driving. Frankly, most M cars aren't ideal for the rigors of a large metro.

It's why I ended up also buying an M340i. It's a small, speedy vehicle that easily u-turns and can handle moderately crappy roads with aplomb. I drive it around Dallas metro and then swap to the M5 when I'm heading down to San Antonio or the Texas coast.

To be fair, my old Porsche Macan Turbo was the best of both worlds. I miss that hot hatch
This is exactly why I want the G22. I don't plan on tracking it - if/when I go to the track it'll be in a V8-swapped Miata that I can beat the shit out of for far cheaper. I think the G22 will make a great short-to-medium distance road tripper / tourer and be a fantastic commuter / daily driver. Long haul stuff, I'll use the new Bronco
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #18
FishMuffins
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
The most significant difference between the runflats and Pilot 4S is the grip, wet or dry, it is night and day difference. With my RWD car, there were constant traction issues if surface is wet. Now that I swapped to the Pilot 4S, no more issues. Even in heavy downpour, these tires are like glue which enables you to drive the car much harder.
That's actually great to hear. Mine is RWD as well and I was wondering the how the traction would do in wet conditions as the weather can be fickle here.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 12:49 PM   #19
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
I had similar experience with Pilot 4 A/S (all season version) on my previous RWD Lexus 3IS. The Michelins were great, but I would have liked better treadlife, so when it came time to replace I aimed for better treadlife and lower price and got Continental DWS instead. Big mistake, I lost the ride and grip of the Michelins.

Current car is xDrive though... stock Bridgestone runflat all seasons feel great and the car is super grippy. Maybe xDrive will open up my choice of tires a bit when time comes to replace.
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      07-14-2020, 01:15 PM   #20
blackcoffee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
I had similar experience with Pilot 4 A/S (all season version) on my previous RWD Lexus 3IS. The Michelins were great, but I would have liked better treadlife, so when it came time to replace I aimed for better treadlife and lower price and got Continental DWS instead. Big mistake, I lost the ride and grip of the Michelins.

Current car is xDrive though... stock Bridgestone runflat all seasons feel great and the car is super grippy. Maybe xDrive will open up my choice of tires a bit when time comes to replace.
This might be a long shot, but any idea how the Michelin Pilot A/S would compare to something like the Pirelli RFTs? If it's worth it, I might swap out tires for increased grip + ride comfort.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 04:52 PM   #21
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Quote:
This might be a long shot, but any idea how the Michelin Pilot A/S would compare to something like the Pirelli RFTs? If it's worth it, I might swap out tires for increased grip + ride comfort.
I'm not sure -- I always hear bad things about RTFs but I've been impressed with the ones on my G20. I'm not sure how much of the excellence of it is due to the tire vs. the adaptive suspension.

I ordered mine with spare tire option even though it came with RTFs because I wanted the option to go non-RFT. I removed the spare once I saw how much trunk space it took up, and if things continue to go well with RFTs I will stay with them... except maybe look at Michelins all season RFT because the OEM Bridgestones are overpriced.

For now, at least while the tires have such low miles on them, the relationship between the tires and the suspension feels so perfect in this car.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 05:36 PM   #22
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
My previous car was an F82, and I'd take M340i over it any day...

I think M340i has a better engine noise, smoother engine & transmission, feels faster most of the time in real life conditions, it has better damping, and much better interior...
Even if M340i was more expensive than F82 M4, I'd still take M340i.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 1
sikotic482.00