Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Five things about my M340i that annoy me

09-07-2020, 10:53 PM   #1
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Five things about my M340i that annoy me

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Firstly, I will state that this is by far the best car I have ever owned and it is very close to perfect for me but that said here are 5 annoyances I have picked up after a few months of ownership. I had to dig deep to find them.

1) The HK sounds okay but I expected better from a premium sound system. The system in the G70 is much better.

2) The skip to next track in Spotify (or is it Apple Car Play) takes around 2 seconds after pressing it to get to the next track (assume it will be fixed in an update). In my Subaru this happens instantly.

3) Plastic gear knob and paddle shifters (partially) - given this is a premium car I expected better and would have been happy to pay a little more for better quality.

4) Steering feel - everyone knows this and has been talked about to death. It's actually not a huge problem for me as the car is amazing overall from a driving experience.

5) Digital display - I actually like the design even though many prefer Audi/Mercedes. For me I dont need all the configuration options of those cars as I would always select a tachometer and speedometer to display anyway. It would however be good to have a little more information on the screen at the same time like odometer, power/torque graphs, etc. At the moment you can only have one on the screen. In my view the odometer should always be there. Actually if I could, I would have much preferred a traditional analogue display.

Anyway, that's it. Pretty minor issues really. Love this car
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 11:38 PM   #2
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Interestingly both HK and Lexicon are subsidiaries of Harman group which is owned by Samsung. However Lexicon has been a manufacturer of ultra high end digital equipment since at least the 80s (as far back as I can remember anyway). HK was always known as a big box brand (good for Best Buy but nothing an "audiophile" would touch with a 10ft pole). I'm thinking Samsung gave the Korean carmakers a sweetheart deal to make them more appealing while keeping costs down.

It'd be nice if BMW made a B&W system for the 3 series but it's unlikely to sell very well. It sounds much better than the HK in the G05 X5.
Appreciate 2
      09-07-2020, 11:46 PM   #3
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Interestingly both HK and Lexicon are subsidiaries of Harman group which is owned by Samsung. However Lexicon has been a manufacturer of ultra high end digital equipment since at least the 80s (as far back as I can remember anyway). HK was always known as a big box brand (good for Best Buy but nothing an "audiophile" would touch with a 10ft pole). I'm thinking Samsung gave the Korean carmakers a sweetheart deal to make them more appealing while keeping costs down.

It'd be nice if BMW made a B&W system for the 3 series but it's unlikely to sell very well. It sounds much better than the HK in the G05 X5.
Interesting....sounds very plausible!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 01:58 AM   #4
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vw golf

2) Is instant for me, so possibly a software thing for you
5) You can have let's say torque and power and then everything else on the center console, which while not perfect, is more tha enough for me
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 02:21 AM   #5
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i x drive

I just hate the layout and how basic the dash looks
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      09-08-2020, 06:33 AM   #6
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bris-M340i View Post
Firstly, I will state that this is by far the best car I have ever owned and it is very close to perfect for me but that said here are 5 annoyances I have picked up after a few months of ownership. I had to dig deep to find them.

1) The HK sounds okay but I expected better from a premium sound system. The system in the G70 is much better.

2) The skip to next track in Spotify (or is it Apple Car Play) takes around 2 seconds after pressing it to get to the next track (assume it will be fixed in an update). In my Subaru this happens instantly.

3) Plastic gear knob and paddle shifters (partially) - given this is a premium car I expected better and would have been happy to pay a little more for better quality.

4) Steering feel - everyone knows this and has been talked about to death. It's actually not a huge problem for me as the car is amazing overall from a driving experience.

5) Digital display - I actually like the design even though many prefer Audi/Mercedes. For me I dont need all the configuration options of those cars as I would always select a tachometer and speedometer to display anyway. It would however be good to have a little more information on the screen at the same time like odometer, power/torque graphs, etc. At the moment you can only have one on the screen. In my view the odometer should always be there. Actually if I could, I would have much preferred a traditional analogue display.

#4 is my biggest complaint with all modern BMWs. The first thing I noticed on my M340i test drive was the numb steering feel. Like I was back in my F8x M. Lets hope BMW figures out how to do EPS properly at some point.

They should poach a couple engineers from GM honestly. Their EPS is actually very good. Crazy world we live in where Camaros and Caddys have better steering feel than BMW M cars.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2020, 03:28 PM   #7
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

My wife's Lexus RX has better steering feel, which almost sounds like a joke but it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
#4 is my biggest complaint with all modern BMWs. The first thing I noticed on my M340i test drive was the numb steering feel. Like I was back in my F8x M. Lets hope BMW figures out how to do EPS properly at some point.

They should poach a couple engineers from GM honestly. Their EPS is actually very good. Crazy world we live in where Camaros and Caddys have better steering feel than BMW M cars.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      09-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #8
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bris-M340i View Post

I've done about 4,000 Km and I've gone through the new car love to doing my best with fixing the niggles and then being finally happy now that I've improved the stereo and now have a sorted seating position.

It's truly a lovely car to drive every day. Quiet, smooth and with more power than anyone really ever needs.

1. The stereo, yeah. I replaced the speakers (except the rear doors and under seats). Bit of a job but now it sounds acceptable.

2. My Spotify changes instantly from song to song on carplay. Could be a software issue or mobile issue?

3. I think BMW uses a little bit too much plastic when they could use metal and cheaped out in some very minor areas. This is probably because of weight. For example, the rubber used in the cup holders and in the console box is hard and cheap. Where is the felt lining?

4. I've found the steering feel to be pretty good especially off lock. I had been running 32 PSI on the tyres and have recently increased it to 34 and it improved the feel. Turn in could be a little sharper, but to be honest the people who buy want a good balance between comfort and sport and while it would be nicer to have sharper turn in some people would complain that it is too darty. Personally I'd like it to be a little more sharper on turn in. But the steering is nice with OK feel and good accuracy.

5. I hated the gauges at first but I'be grown to like them. You get used to them.

All the displays are pretty configurable which is good because it is 'wow' at first but I think the info overload can be distracting and fatiguing after time. I've switched off the change of gauges when you change driving mode (so you can see the tachometer even in eco pro) and sometimes I turn off the center screen and recently I have been driving without the head up display on.

Personally I'd like to see the center part utilized more and maybe an option for classic gauges.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2020, 05:46 PM   #9
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

This is a normal 3 series with a better engine and suspension. Nothing more. BMW smartly doesn't let you turn this model into a mini 5 series.

You're buying it for the speed and handling.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 09:24 PM   #10
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Lets hope BMW figures out how to do EPS properly at some point.

I've given up on this hope. Its officially been a decade since EPS invaded BMW and the complaints have been voiced for a while now yet they still have done nothing. I have a feeling they know how to tune in feel, but they've chosen not to. Its clear they don't care that much about the enthusiasts anymore and the bean counters are running things and are catering to the everyday soccer moms and badge whores. Would it really be so hard to tune it into sport mode? The worse part is while this idea makes more sense on a higher volume model like the 3er or X3, but the M cars, that are priced anywhere from $60-180k all lack feel. The cars literally built (or at least once were) for the enthusiast, and they've still decided to rob us from feel. Meanwhile Mazda gives their $18k compact sedan excellent steering that no M-car can match

Last edited by stein_325i; 09-08-2020 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 5
dmk087315.00
am3r1ka1413.00
jmack548.50
Germanauto9665.50
zamboni1124.50
      09-09-2020, 07:04 AM   #11
cnichols138
X3M Comp is a beast
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp

My top complaints:

1) Cross traffic alert option is useless.
2) Paddle shifters are too small.
3) I wish in manual mode the gear number was on the heads up display. Stupid that i must look down
4) HK stereo is nice but not great. So I totally agree with that.
5) For a premium car steering column should have been power so the memory feature controlled that too.

Overall the new 7/2020 software I lost a few things...hopefully the next update fixes them.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2020, 09:37 AM   #12
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:

I don't think BMW does their own EPS...
It is a third party (used to be TK when I worked with them in EU) that builds for many manufacturers and offers the software option for tweaks...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 09:39 AM   #13
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnichols138 View Post
My top complaints:

1) Cross traffic alert option is useless.
2) Paddle shifters are too small.
3) I wish in manual mode the gear number was on the heads up display. Stupid that i must look down
4) HK stereo is nice but not great. So I totally agree with that.
5) For a premium car steering column should have been power so the memory feature controlled that too.

Overall the new 7/2020 software I lost a few things...hopefully the next update fixes them.
3) I am not sure why do you have the need to look down. I owned manual cars my whole life (the G20 is my first Auto) and I found the gear display function (in my F80 on the dash and in the HUD) totally useless
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 09:40 AM   #14
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM340i View Post
Quote:

I don't think BMW does their own EPS...
It is a third party (used to be TK when I worked with them in EU) that builds for many manufacturers and offers the software option for tweaks...
Yes that is true however BMW purposefully tunes out feel because both Cadillac and BMW use the same ZF rack and Cadillac is brimming with feel while BMW's is novocaine.
jmack548.50
      09-09-2020, 01:39 PM   #15
am3r1ka
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Quote:
Lets hope BMW figures out how to do EPS properly at some point.

I've given up on this hope. Its officially been a decade since EPS invaded BMW and the complaints have been voiced for a while now yet they still have done nothing. I have a feeling they know how to tune in feel, but they've chosen not to. Its clear they don't care that much about the enthusiasts anymore and the bean counters are running things and are catering to the everyday soccer moms and badge whores. Would it really be so hard to tune it into sport mode? The worse part is while this idea makes more sense on a higher volume model like the 3er or X3, but the M cars, that are priced anywhere from $60-180k all lack feel. The cars literally built (or at least once were) for the enthusiast, and they've still decided to rob us from feel. Meanwhile Mazda gives their $18k compact sedan excellent steering that no M-car can match
These are my exact sentiments. I feel like the poached buyers they acquired is comfortable with this new steering feel and if they revert back to their old ways, the masses will complain that something is wrong with there cars. Being on this forum proves that point. But when it comes to M it should be "our way, or the highway (feel included)". I don't see fondness of having a steering wheel feel like those racing games at arcades, but apparently that's what the buyers love.
      09-10-2020, 06:09 AM   #16
cnichols138
X3M Comp is a beast
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM340i View Post
3) I am not sure why do you have the need to look down. I owned manual cars my whole life (the G20 is my first Auto) and I found the gear display function (in my F80 on the dash and in the HUD) totally useless
Well I have had a couple of time I have forgot i was in manual mode because I was sitting at a light and realized towards the end that I was not in manual mode. Plus it auto shifts to M1 when you stop. Just annoying for people who don't drive manual all the time. Just would be nice to see the number.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 06:10 PM   #17
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

I have not updated to the most recent one with Spotify, but does it work independently or do you still have to connect through your phone? Assuming you need phone because otherwise you'd have to have some service pushing to the vehicle to use the app?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 11:33 PM   #18
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
My wife's Lexus RX has better steering feel, which almost sounds like a joke but it isn't.
I wouldn't go that far.

For real BMW, you won't lose sales by tuning the steering similar to the Giulia, Boxster, or Macan. While we loved the E90 and understand steering that heavy won't fly with consumers today, you don't have to stoop this low.

BMW is no different from every movie franchise, clothing brand, retailer, etc. which had its heydey by carving a niche in the market with extremely good products; but eventually becoming too popular for its own good. Eventually the stockholders and MBAs take over and shift the philosophy for mass appeal.

Last edited by Germanauto; 09-14-2020 at 11:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 04:55 AM   #19
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

I’m happy to see others griping about the steering...I thought I was going crazy! I agree with the points made, but does anyone feel like it’s just spongy or more on the lines of an suv in terms of response? I’ll have to try the tire pressure suggestion, but I’ve noticed even in sport/sport plus it’s wonky. Honestly, it really makes cornering and driving on those windy roads a bit more “adventurous”. There’s been a few times where I feel I’ll lose control of the vehicle, even going to the speed limit on the twisty backroads.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 05:42 AM   #20
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
I'm happy to see others griping about the steering...I thought I was going crazy! I agree with the points made, but does anyone feel like it's just spongy or more on the lines of an suv in terms of response? I'll have to try the tire pressure suggestion, but I've noticed even in sport/sport plus it's wonky. Honestly, it really makes cornering and driving on those windy roads a bit more "adventurous". There's been a few times where I feel I'll lose control of the vehicle, even going to the speed limit on the twisty backroads.
There is definitely a lot of room for improvement in steering feel, but no, mine does not feel that bad. If you want to experience spongy, I'll let you drive my girlfriend's 2016 Volvo XC60 for a few minutes. Feels like a bad computer driving game. My BMWs steering may not be great, but it's much better than that.
Appreciate 3
EXE462097.00
      09-16-2020, 12:50 PM   #21
coladin
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

Hate the armrest as it is awkward to grab anything while driving. My C43 opened in the middle. Doesn't always lock when I park it, and the BMW Connected doesn't...connect. Dealer is useless at figuring it out.

Love everything else. Fast, comfortable, and built out of granite. Having had a C43 , this thing blows it away in every category, except exhaust sound, which got obnoxious anyways.
Appreciate 2
      09-16-2020, 01:50 PM   #22
StevenDS85
I ///M Fan
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
Hate the armrest as it is awkward to grab anything while driving. My C43 opened in the middle. Doesn't always lock when I park it, and the BMW Connected doesn't...connect. Dealer is useless at figuring it out.

Love everything else. Fast, comfortable, and built out of granite. Having had a C43 , this thing blows it away in every category, except exhaust sound, which got obnoxious anyways.
The armrest is indeed to big to flip it open while driving. Can also annoy the passenger. Mercedes-Benz managed that much better to open it in the middle.
Appreciate 0