Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
They've been saying that since 2001.
Not many have left.
Show me the last time people on Bimmerpost have disapproved the front end of the new M3/M4 by almost 80%.
Appreciate 2
ONE1125.00
GrussGott18116.50
      09-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #882
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-F30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by av.7447 View Post
Quote:
Maybe. But then again people weren't complaining nearly as much about the F80 design when it was released

Check out this old thread with F80 renders and reactions: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=726356

We had two previous generations of beasts. Now this.
So what did you guys expect, I don't understand, another F80 looking M3? Put the same F80 grill on the G80 and I congratulate you as you now have an LCI of an old M3! No thank you, we had plenty of those before... Another great future of the huge grill design is cooling and I am almost 100% certain that this thing will not be so hot anymore!
In the end it doesn't matter what you expect. What matters is most people dislike the look of this car.

A vast majority of people who buy M3s are passive consumers so they aren't actively predicting the looks of the next M3. Yet, I have a strange feeling they will also dislike the looks.

Besides, if I'm paying 60k+, I shouldn't have to expect a car to look a certain way so I can make myself learn to like it. An M3 is supposed to have charisma on its own. That's why people buy them.

IMO, this would have been nice:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Quote:
Not many have left.
Show me the last time people on Bimmerpost have disapproved the front end of the new M3/M4 by almost 80%.
Bimmerpost and the auto mag journalists are not most people. We are the about equivalent of a speck of sand on a beach. The sooner you guys jettison this idea of self importance as it relates to this, the better off you will be. When these models sell......and they will sell......maybe the roaring masses on the forum will finally get it. You'll wonder, "Who the hell are buying these cars?!?".....and I'll reply, "Ummmm! That would be most people."
Appreciate 2
      09-11-2019, 09:07 AM   #883
jordan35i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe. But then again people weren't complaining nearly as much about the F80 design when it was released

Check out this old thread with F80 renders and reactions: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=726356

So what did you guys expect, I don't understand, another F80 looking M3? Put the same F80 grill on the G80 and I congratulate you as you now have an LCI of an old M3! No thank you, we had plenty of those before... Another great future of the huge grill design is cooling and I am almost 100% certain that this thing will not be so hot anymore!
In the end it doesn't matter what you expect. What matters is most people dislike the look of this car.

A vast majority of people who buy M3s are passive consumers so they aren't actively predicting the looks of the next M3. Yet, I have a strange feeling they will also dislike the looks.

Besides, if I'm paying 60k+, I shouldn't have to expect a car to look a certain way so I can make myself learn to like it. An M3 is supposed to have charisma on its own. That's why people buy them.

Quote:
Quote:
Not many have left.
Bimmerpost and the auto mag journalists are not most people. We are the about equivalent of a speck of sand on a beach. The sooner you guys jettison this idea of self importance as it relates to this, the better off you will be. When these models sell......and they will sell......maybe you'll finally get it.
All we can do is wait and see. I suppose you'll be getting one of these too? Make sure to take some photos for all of us.

CURRENT: '18 340i
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:12 AM   #884
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Not many have left.
Bimmerpost and the auto mag journalists are not most people. We are the about equivalent of a speck of sand on a beach. The sooner you guys jettison this idea of self importance as it relates to this, the better off you will be. When these models sell......and they will sell......maybe you'll finally get it.
All we can do is wait and see. I suppose you'll be getting one of these too? Make sure to take some photos for all of us.
I won't be getting a regular 4 Series. There's no point in going from a 6MT F82 to an 8AT G22. I will, however, strongly consider a 6MT G82 and be an early adopter as I was with the E46/E9X/F82 ///M cars. For me it will depend on the colors options once presented. If I don't care for any of the launch colors (...which would be a first), I'll wait until the second MY. I'm sure that there will be plenty of people posting their regular 4's once they are available.
Appreciate 1
JTO245271.50
      09-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #885
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, E60 M5, F06 M6, F15, F90

Quote:
I won't be getting a regular 4 Series. There's no point in going from a 6MT F82 to an 8AT G22. I will, however, strongly consider a 6MT G82 and be an early adopter as I was with the E46/E9X/F82 ///M cars. For me it will depend on the colors options once presented. If I don't care for any of the launch colors (...which would be a first), I'll wait until the second MY. I'm sure that there will be plenty of people posting their regular 4's once they are available.
Sign me up too! I will be getting a second year production G80 individual with a 6 speed manual to compliment my current very conservative F90!
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24973.00
      09-12-2019, 02:40 AM   #886
Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

Quote:
People should've never expected that because we've known for many, many, MANY months that the 4 was modeled with large vertical kidney grills, and since the last few iterations of M3/4's have been based on the coupe front end, it should be no surprise to anybody that the next ///M will follow that same approach. Anybody who expected it to look like the 3 was just being purposely stubborn.......like a virulent toddler.
Well I think we are getting a bit into the semantics of the word "expected" and the timing of those expectations, but yes when the G20 first came out I "Expected" the G80 to look similar, just like previous M3's had looked similar to the 3 series they were based on (whether or not it was the coupe or sedan). I do not see how those previous expectations or wants are in anyway childish, but I guess you are free to have your own opinion of the situation.

Yes we have known for months now that this massive grill was coming, but that doesn't change peoples hopes (a synonymy of expectation) that it wasn't going to look that bad. Unfortunately based on the concept it may be worse than most "expected"!
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      09-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #887
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
People should've never expected that because we've known for many, many, MANY months that the 4 was modeled with large vertical kidney grills, and since the last few iterations of M3/4's have been based on the coupe front end, it should be no surprise to anybody that the next ///M will follow that same approach. Anybody who expected it to look like the 3 was just being purposely stubborn.......like a virulent toddler.
Quote:
Bimmerpost and the auto mag journalists are not most people. We are the about equivalent of a speck of sand on a beach. The sooner you guys jettison this idea of self importance as it relates to this, the better off you will be. When these models sell......and they will sell......maybe the roaring masses on the forum will finally get it. You'll wonder, "Who the hell are buying these cars?!?".....and I'll reply, "Ummmm! That would be most people."
I love how you're trying to have it both ways. First you say people should have known the front end of the new M3/M4 will be the same as the new 4 Series. The only way people would have known is if they pay close attention on Bimmerpost. Then when "most people" who don't pay attention and come to Bimmerpost to complain, you claim they should have known.

Either way this front end is hideous and looks is very important when people buy cars. My gf, who doesn't pay close attention to cars, says that front end is disgusting to look at. Majority of people on Bimmerpost and in public doesn't like the front end. Why would anyone buy a car they're not attracted to?
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      09-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #888
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Quote:

So what did you guys expect, I don’t understand, another F80 looking M3? Put the same F80 grill on the G80 and I congratulate you as you now have an LCI of an old M3! No thank you, we had plenty of those before... Another great future of the huge grill design is cooling and I am almost 100% certain that this thing will not be so hot anymore!
New motor, AWD, updated interior with buckets optional and it's an LCI? :

Evolution over revolution is better than being desperate for a change and making it look horrific ... 911s barely change styling for updates and it's never a problem. M3s have followed the 3 series pretty closely with exception of F80 using 4 series front end.

Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      09-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #889
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I love how you're trying to have it both ways. First you say people should have known the front end of the new M3/M4 will be the same as the new 4 Series. The only way people would have known is if they pay close attention on Bimmerpost. Then when "most people" who don't pay attention and come to Bimmerpost to complain, you claim they should have known.
I've spent some time on this forum, but I was late to the party following the 4 release, although I was under the impression (based on a thread called "M3 will be revealed at Frankfurt") we were talking about the M3. It turns out it was the 4 which I don't care about, and I hope they make the M3 front end distinct from the 4/M4. I know Sedan Clan thinks I'm crazy for holding out hope, but things do change from time to time so what happened last year may not happen this year. We shall see.

Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24973.00
GrussGott18116.50
      09-12-2019, 01:23 PM   #890
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Either way this front end is hideous and looks is very important when people buy cars. My gf, who doesn't pay close attention to cars, says that front end is disgusting to look at. Majority of people on Bimmerpost and in public doesn't like the front end. Why would anyone buy a car they're not attracted to?
Context dude. My reference to "people" was referring to the people on Bimmerpost bitching about being shocked that BMW would enact such a major change, even after being spoon fed the information from insiders and pics for probably 6 months or more. Apparently seeing isn't believing. Nothing should've been lost in subtext, especially since I was responding to your comment about what people expected (...and you couldn't have possibly known what the general buying public expected, but you were aware of what some Bimmerpost hold-outs expected). Comprehend what you're reading.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 01:26 PM   #891
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
Quote:
I've spent some time on this forum, but I was late to the party following the 4 release, although I was under the impression (based on a thread called "M3 will be revealed at Frankfurt") we were talking about the M3. It turns out it was the 4 which I don't care about, and I hope they make the M3 front end distinct from the 4/M4. I know Sedan Clan thinks I'm crazy for holding out hope, but things do change from time to time so what happened last year may not happen this year. We shall see.
I still love you even though you're stubborn (..despite finding out that the new 7, i7, etc. are also getting large, revised kidneys too; the entire BMW line is being revamped). :P
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #892
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
I still love you even though you're stubborn (..despite finding out that the new 7, i7, etc. are also getting large, revised kidneys too; the entire BMW line is being revamped). :P
Yeah, if anyone still had hopes the 4 is a test run for huge grills that could be reverted those hopes should be thoroughly crushed when the current 7 is deemed by BMW to have an insufficiently large grill
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24973.00
      09-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #893
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Context dude. My reference to "people" was referring to the people on Bimmerpost bitching about being shocked that BMW would enact such a major change, even after being spoon fed the information from insiders and pics for probably 6 months or more. Apparently seeing isn't believing. Nothing should've been lost in subtext, especially since I was responding to your comment about what people expected (...and you couldn't have possibly known what the general buying public expected, but you were aware of what some Bimmerpost hold-outs expected). Comprehend what you're reading.
Sedan Clan is right 100%. Most people are not on car blog forums and do not read car magazines. It will be interesting to compare full year M3 sales in 2021 vs 2015. I for one am not interested because the M3 is too big and heavy plus the grille is terrible.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24973.00
      09-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #894
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Quote:
Yeah, if anyone still had hopes the 4 is a test run for huge grills that could be reverted those hopes should be thoroughly crushed when the current 7 is deemed by BMW to have an insufficiently large grill
I can be hopefully until the M3 is debuted... and then after that ... I'll hold out hopes for the LCI : I ... just .... can't .. accept this ugliness! problem is there are fewer and fewer other options for the all-in-one package. will have to revert to having two separate cars for DD and tracking ... maybe the better way to go for me anyway me.... *sigh*

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 09:00 PM   #895
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
I can be hopefully until the M3 is debuted... and then after that ... I'll hold out hopes for the LCI : I ... just .... can't .. accept this ugliness! problem is there are fewer and fewer other options for the all-in-one package. will have to revert to having two separate cars for DD and tracking ... maybe the better way to go for me anyway me.... *sigh*
It’s personality not looks that matters...inside beauty not outside
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 09:49 PM   #896
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
Sedan Clan is right 100%. Most people are not on car blog forums and do not read car magazines. It will be interesting to compare full year M3 sales in 2021 vs 2015. I for one am not interested because the M3 is too big and heavy plus the grille is terrible.
Most people are not on forums and do not read car magazines but in the case of enthusiasts oriented cars like the M3/4 I think that forum members are very likely a good representation of the market for these cars.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 11:16 PM   #897
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
Most people are not on forums and do not read car magazines but in the case of enthusiasts oriented cars like the M3/4 I think that forum members are very likely a good representation of the market for these cars.
I used to think that, until I didn't come across a single ///M driver that I pulled over here in SoCal who was a member of Bimmerpost......and I've pulled over a ton of BMW ///M drivers. That shocked even me. That's not to suggest that they aren't out there....because I know they are, but I figured that the site was more well known. Anecdotal yes, but that's my experience.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18116.50
      09-13-2019, 12:17 AM   #898
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I used to think that, until I didn't come across a single ///M driver that I pulled over here in SoCal who was a member of Bimmerpost......and I've pulled over a ton of BMW ///M drivers. That shocked even me. That's not to suggest that they aren't out there....because I know they are, but I figured that the site was more well known. Anecdotal yes, but that's my experience.

I bet their fines increase significantly if they are not bimmerpost members 😂
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2019, 12:45 AM   #899
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I bet their fines increase significantly if they are not bimmerpost members 😂
Lol! Usually casual car chat or warnings for all but the most flagrant offenders. The conversations with the cool drivers always went something like this....

[after the "Hey! I'm Officer/Deputy Bimmer Driver with [insert large California agency here]. Do you know why I pulled you over?" spiel]

..."Nice ///M. [Insert color or mod here] looks good. What's your username on Bimmerpost?"

..."What's Bimmerpost?"

..."Probably one the most comprehensive forums for your particular car. You've really never heard of it?"

..."No I haven't.

..."Grab a pen and write it down. Check it out sometime; plethora of info. Drive safe and slow down."

..."Thanks Sir. I will!"

I changed up my tactics and started telling people that I saw their car on the forum. They still were clueless.
Appreciate 1
JTO245271.50
      09-13-2019, 02:08 AM   #900
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Lol! Usually casual car chat or warnings for all but the most flagrant offenders. The conversations with the cool drivers always went something like this....

[after the "Hey! I'm Officer/Deputy Bimmer Driver with [insert large California agency here]. Do you know why I pulled you over?" spiel]

..."Nice ///M. [Insert color or mod here] looks good. What's your username on Bimmerpost?"

..."What's Bimmerpost?"

..."Probably one the most comprehensive forums for your particular car. You've really never heard of it?"

..."No I haven't.

..."Grab a pen and write it down. Check it out sometime; plethora of info. Drive safe and slow down."

..."Thanks Sir. I will!"

I changed up my tactics and started telling people that I saw their car on the forum. They still were clueless.

lol, if I ever be in SoCal I want a ride along! I will return the favor if you ever fly my airline! 😎
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24973.00
      09-13-2019, 02:14 AM   #901
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

..."What's Bimmerpost?"

..."No I haven't.

..."Thanks Sir. I will!"

lol, if I ever be in SoCal I want a ride along! I will return the favor if you ever fly my airline! 😎
Deal! A really close friend of mine works for Southwest, and receiving buddy passes from her has saved me a ton of money. I'm especially grateful because it's a lot of logistical work for her on the backend to route my flights when I'm flying standby.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 02:32 AM   #902
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
M3s have followed the 3 series pretty closely with exception of F80 using 4 series front end.
The M3 E90 used the coupe front end as well.
Appreciate 1
JTO245271.50