Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals Rear bumper on my 2024 M340i

03-27-2024, 09:23 PM   #1
mjay2886
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M340I

Rear bumper on my 2024 M340i

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
This LCI seems like it exposes too much undercarriage with this new rear bumper design. Why they decided to use black gloss instead of real paint gets me frustrated. You cant polish that stuff too much or else it burns right through and it’s cheap for a car that was 68k MSRP before discounts. Ot would have been different had it been a small amount. Has anyone noticed there LCI look the same? I dot want to lower the car and mess up the ride quality. It has the adaptive m suspension. Might have to get a rear diffuser add on to build the bumper down.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 12:23 PM   #2
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
The F80 is the same way: big silver muffler and some undercarriage bits.

If you really hate the silver look, plenty of guys have covered exposed silver undercarriage with POR-15. It's basically a semi-thick black brush-on or spray-on for anti-rust, but works great at stealthing an exposed muffler baffle.
      04-06-2024, 07:01 AM   #3
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Whenever we drive behind a car that has too much undercarriage showing below bumper, my wife always comments how that's bad design. I see it now too. So I totally get where youre coming from.

As for diffusor being crappy glossy plastic - blame it on all shadowline fans who 20 years ago were after those glossy trims that only higher end cars got.
BMW realised that they can charge extra for what is essentially polished plastic today. The original shadowline was made differently, it had a lacquered feel to it. And it tended to suffer from UV discolouring over time, and looked pretty bad. After market came with 3M products, and people could wrap it in tape and get a similar look for way less. BMW figured this out... that by painting 3% of the car surface less and using plastic parts now, they save a ton of money in the long run. Sucks for us. I would only go chrome trim today if I can. Old folks had it right all along.

So that geezer monologue aside, my take - paint/wrap/replace diffusor w something more durable. As for undercarriage no one unless they are in a low sports car can see it, so save your OCD pain and focus on something else.

Last edited by Tallest; 04-06-2024 at 07:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 11:27 AM   #4
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

This seems like a non issue IMO.I test drove an M340i that had the M Performance Exhaust and i wanted to see if the exhaust can hanged down any lower then the standard one.I took some pics down low and couldn’t even see the exhaust can.It looks totally hidden.In comparison the current M2,M3 and M4 have an exhaust can that hangs very low below the rear diffuser.

I actually think the rear diffuser is a big improvement over the one on the pre LCI.That one was a plain grey one.The one on the LCI has the nice sporty high gloss shadowline finish matching the rest of the shadowline on the outside of the car.It also has a much better design.The design is similar to the m performance one that you could install on the pre LCI.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0