Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Spotted G20 3 Series out and about!

10-09-2018, 08:11 AM   #133
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

You don't like it, good for you. Lots of other people do and it will sell extremely well.

If you're visually offended by it, other manufacturers are around. By the way, a) they also make cars outside the country of origin of the manufacturer and b) there will be common design elements.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17487.50
      10-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #134
BMWRL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528xi

I posted some pics on another thread of one I caught in the wild over the weekend in Santa Monica. Honestly, the new 3er looks great! It's very handsome and looks nothing like a Lexus, the Lexus comments need to stop. I haven't been a fan of the F30 but this G20 will sell for BMW in boat loads. It's a great looking 3er. I'll post the pics of the M340 I saw again here.

Name:  BMW-M340i-G20-1.jpg
Views: 68464
Size:  109.8 KB

Name:  BMW-M340i-G20-2.jpg
Views: 42700
Size:  123.1 KB

Name:  BMW-M340i-G20-3.jpg
Views: 43274
Size:  109.9 KB

Name:  BMW-M340i-G20-4.jpg
Views: 42460
Size:  100.6 KB
///M TOWN16524.50
      10-09-2018, 10:08 AM   #135
sakson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is

Garage List
For the first time in history, M-sport looks worse than other trims. Also, the rear is way too Lexusy.

Get it in white, sport line, and it looks nice. This blue doesn't suit the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 10:11 AM   #136
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

I want to like it more but I'm just not there yet... that "modernized" Hoffmeister kink is terrible broken out of the door like that.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #137
Spydert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT, 530i M Sprt Pckg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRL View Post
I posted some pics on another thread of one I caught in the wild over the weekend in Santa Monica. Honestly, the new 3er looks great! It's very handsome and looks nothing like a Lexus, the Lexus comments need to stop. I haven't been a fan of the F30 but this G20 will sell for BMW in boat loads. It's a great looking 3er. I'll post the pics of the M340 I saw again here.

Nice!
Looks good in that post.

My interest in this vehicle is increasing.
I had planned to pick up an F10 at the end of my F30 lease but even after plenty of time with the car as a loaner on many occasions, I just couldn't fall in love with it cos it just felt so damn big. I got a 12k discount on a 535i but after test driving it, I just bought out my F30 - intending to wait for the G30. Then it came out and after seeing it in the flesh, I felt it's exterior was just too plain to look at. Great interior, better driving dynamics (still big though), but the exterior is blah imho.

One thing the G20 has that I like is that BMW maintained four lines on the hood instead of two on the G30 and I think this makes a big difference to how the care looks. I also think this 'precision and poetry' design language fits a smaller vehicle better than a larger one.

This am, some site posted how the G20 is about the same size as the E39 (which was the perfect mid size sedan to me). If that's true, I would really really consider upgrading to this.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #138
WatchWolf34
Because Racecar
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i 6MT

It looks awful for many reasons. Not sure why people come in here and care to defend this car - it's okay for people to dislike it and there is a reason that so many people are comparing it to a Lexus. Can't tell people to stop making that comparison when it's slapping us in the face.

I'm not surprised though. The Z4 was developed in tandem with Toyota. Lexus is Toyota's "luxury" brand. It seems logical that the relationship between the two companies would affect more than just one car so seeing design cues penetrate the 3 series is very disappointing but not shocking at all.

I wasn't a fan of the Fx series but when you put them next to this abomination they become more appealing. Makes me happy though, I have no reason to consider moving on from my E90.
      10-09-2018, 11:09 AM   #139
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB440xiGC

haha they covered the badging but chose a very eye catching blue instead of a grey or black car.

On another note, while the car looks less Germanic it still is a very good looking car. I am willing to bet all the guys who are saying it is horrendous will buy one.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 11:25 AM   #140
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchWolf34 View Post
...... Not sure why people come in here and care to defend this car - it's okay for people to dislike it....
Sure its OK for people to not like it. But - Not sure why some people come in here and care to bitch about this car either. Not sure what bitching about it accomplishes.

If I didn't like it I would look for something else and move on letting the enthusiasts for this model enjoy the threads where information is shared for those interested. No need to piss in someone else's cornflakes just because you prefer cheerios.

Last edited by Stephen5242; 10-09-2018 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
Kingpin4386.50
      10-09-2018, 12:04 PM   #141
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:

Attachment 1913972

Attachment 1913973

Attachment 1913974

Attachment 1913975
Thai colour is a winner. Reminds me of Marina Bay Blue.

So many new blues around from BMW.

Good stuff.
      10-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #142
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen5242 View Post
Quote:
...... Not sure why people come in here and care to defend this car - it's okay for people to dislike it....
Sure its OK for people to not like it. But - Not sure why some people come in here and care to bitch about this car either. Not sure what bitching about it accomplishes.

If I didn't like it I would look for something else and move on letting the enthusiasts for this model enjoy the threads where information is shared for those interested. No need to piss in someone else's cornflakes just because you prefer cheerios.
Exactly. Fuckwits have nothing better to do than repeat every other comment like it's the first time it's been mentioned.

If you don't like the car, put simply, fuck right off. Leave the thread to those who like and want to know more about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #143
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

I doubt anyone is imagining it...the tail lights right off the bat say Lexus. The rest otherwise looks BMW to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #144
kbNO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
The only things that are certain in life are death, taxes, and that everyone will absolutely hate the new 3-series when it's initially introduced, and perhaps even throughout much of the time it's in production. It has a fat ass, it looks like a Lexus, it's a boat, the kidney grill is too shiny, they fucked up the Hofmeister kink, I'm going to get a Mercedes, blah, blah, blah. Yet despite this, everyone will still go out and buy, err, excuse me, lease their 330i and learn to love hating it until the subsequent generation arrives. At that point, the current generation becomes less maligned and one day will become an example of the ideals that BMW once stood for prior to "losing their way".

The real victims in all of this will be those who actually do buy a Mercedes .
Haha, spot on for sure 😀
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 12:57 PM   #145
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
It's very handsome and looks nothing like a Lexus, the Lexus comments need to stop.
You know, when one guy tells something, you can doubt that. When hundreds of people say the same thing, you should take notice.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 01:03 PM   #146
WatchWolf34
Because Racecar
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen5242 View Post

The forum exists to hold conversation and opinion. The obnoxious behavior isn't someone liking or disliking the design of the car. The obnoxious behavior is people coming in and telling the folks that they need to "stop saying this or that" or "be quiet and move along." THAT is what was meant when I said I wasn't sure why people are defending it.

Consumer opinion can influence these designs. That's what bitching about it accomplishes. It has equal value to the comments from people who somehow think this is well designed 3 series.

What purpose does a forum have if people don't communicate their opinions? Furthermore, if you think that people disliking a design that you had no personal hand in developing is pissing in your cornflakes then I suggest you utilize Google Images or a news article without comment sections to get your info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Exactly. Fuckwits have nothing better to do than repeat every other comment like it's the first time it's been mentioned.

If you don't like the car, put simply, fuck right off. Leave the thread to those who like and want to know more about it.
How old are you? Your posts make me think you're not even old enough to drive...
      10-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #147
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The forum exists to hold conversation and opinion. The obnoxious behavior isn't someone liking or disliking the design of the car. The obnoxious behavior is people coming in and telling the folks that they need to "stop saying this or that" or "be quiet and move along." THAT is what was meant when I said I wasn't sure why people are defending it.

Consumer opinion can influence these designs. That's what bitching about it accomplishes. It has equal value to the comments from people who somehow think this is well designed 3 series.

What purpose does a forum have if people don't communicate their opinions? Furthermore, if you think that people disliking a design that you had no personal hand in developing is pissing in your cornflakes then I suggest you utilize Google Images or a news article without comment sections to get your info.

How old are you? Your posts make me think you're not even old enough to drive...
Spot on comment!
If only people that will like it will be in here, they will hate the forum. All they will do is "Wow, nice weather today!". "Yeah, beautiful".

A forum is place where all are free to explore and express an opinion. Some people might not realize it, but criticism is a form of evolution.
Yes, bitching is this behaviour of talking bad about the others that don't like your taste. Taste is a very personal matter. But when that opinion is shared by hundreds, then obviously we are talking about a generic perception regardless you like it or not.

Everyone forgets that actually the majority in here are fans, people that love this brand. If there will be no interest in the brand, nobody will loose its time to write about an opinion.
Criticism is constructive and the manufacturer might notice how a product is perceived.
We all love this brand, and with good or bad, we all want to see it succeed and producing excellent machines for everyone's benefit and pleasure.
Appreciate 2
      10-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #148
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
I have to say at the moment I think it's absolutely ugly as F. But I did the exact same thing when I have seen my first F30 on the road, it was a basic spec and it was horrible.

I think once we see some G20s in the flesh our opinions will change.

I have had every three 3 series from the E46 and two F30s the E90 was fantastic and still looks good. I'm gutted that the new M340i will be x-drive only.

Every Mercedes minus the A & B class are truly stunning inside and outside, I feel they are leading the design however they do date extremely quickly. The C63s Coupe is one beautiful car!

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #149
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

Quote:

KIA Stinger is that you?

Quote:

Oh nevermind, it was an Audi
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 03:28 PM   #150
320iG20
Stick Shift ftw ;)
Germany
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
KIA Stinger is that you?

KIA not really:

Audi a bit:

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #151
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320iG20 View Post
KIA not really:

New Z4 looking good
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 04:06 PM   #152
BMWRL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
Quote:
KIA Stinger is that you?

Quote:

I've been very critical of the latest BMW designs, (I think the 7er and 5er are a snooze, although the 5er has grown on me). But honestly, when I saw this new 3er on the streets, Kia, Lexus and Audi didn't come to mind. It is very BMW, if anything the first thing that came to my mind was that it reminded me of the 5er.
      10-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #153
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep

1st impression was looks like a mini 5. That could be good or bad depending on your view. I'm not the largest fan of the current body of the 5 series, but aesthetics aside I can almost be assured the next gen 3'er will be an improved car in more ways than many care to admit. This is something that follows almost every new gen cycle. There are always pros and cons but for the most part it evolves and adapts to a new standard (new tech, more power, better efficiency, etc).

Then there are those that cling on to last gen models, and that is also perfectly fine. People have different tastes and opinions, and the joy of the auto industry is that there are many different cars that fulfill a variety of different wants and needs.

Personally, I always hold off on voicing too much opinion until I see and drive the car in the flesh. Some here have, but the majority are going off of internet photos and info. Once they are on the ground and you can view them in person Msport to non Msport, black kidney's etc, as well as how you option out the car and the color, it could sway your current view which is based on incomplete information.

Last edited by IDBGOD; 10-09-2018 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
BMWRL596.00
      10-09-2018, 05:43 PM   #154
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

What purpose does a forum have if people don't communicate their opinions? Furthermore, if you think that people disliking a design that you had no personal hand in developing is pissing in your cornflakes then I suggest you utilize Google Images or a news article without comment sections to get your info...

Yes conversation can be good.

Yes everyone is entitled to their opinion, just don't expect anyone to really care about it. And opinion is not useful information really, its just an opinion.

Pissing in someone's cornflakes is in reference to muddling the enjoyment of others who are enthusiastic. This is an enthusiasts forum no? Enthusiasm and bitching are opposites no? It just adds so little value if any and I assure you that it will bring absolutely no change from BMW.

Keep in mind that constructive criticism is not the same as bitching and complaining and that we are conversing not directly to BMW but with other forum members. Yes I know BMW monitors the forum from time to time but this conversation has no affect on them.

Also none of the opinions here really matter to BMW as we are a very small % of their market. Profits do matter, however, and that's why they now have front wheel drive vehicles where they once advertised that it would never happen. Not my type of cereal, but you will never see me on the X1 or X2 forms bitching about front wheel drive, transversely mounted engines and interrupting the enjoyment of those who like these type of vehicles. Do you really think if I did it would have an impact on BMW. Not at all! It just muddles the enjoyment of the enthusiasts on those threads as complaining here does. And what a waste of time, as I suspect this post was.

Last edited by Stephen5242; 10-09-2018 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
kbNO61.50