Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G22 4 Series Coupe First Technical Specs and Preproduction Drive Reviews

04-29-2020, 04:38 PM   #67
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
I don't believe programming is going to provide the fix. For the third time now I'm contending new hardware is what is required. To me, saying new programming is going to fix the steering feel is like saying you can reprogram electronic dampers to behave like a high-end aftermarket damper... or code can make an OEM turbo perform just like a higher-end/built aftermarket turbo. The code is only controlling the hardware; and hardware is the limitation here. Do people really think the design and construction of steering box hardware can't be advanced, and now it's just software's job? That's ridiculous.
So BMW just forgot how to design and build a proper steering rack?

No one is saying hardware shouldn't be improved when needed.

Why is the consensus it was the change to EPS that drastically altered the steering feel? Yes, going from hydraulic to EPS is a hardware change in of itself. Also explain why coding in GTS/CS specs into the steering system changes how the steering feels?

So be specific, what HARDWARE needs to change? The entire steering system? The EPS motor? The gear assembly to different ratios?

Quote:
If new programming is all that's required, why did BMW spec a different steering box in the F80 and not just use the F30 steering box?
This is a serious question? You know the F80 and F30 have different steering ratios which is a result of the gear assembly (which I'm guessing you referring to as the steering box)?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 04:43 PM   #68
SabineBimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i LBlue Met

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineBimmer View Post
This is a shame. I was reading through the puff piece, which BMW Group EXCELS at. For example:

"The model line-up provides another indication of the new BMW 4 Series Coupe's unwavering commitment to class-leading driving dynamics."

Give me a f***ing break. I get it, really I do, but if they're going to use hyperbole they better back it up. Such as...

HYDRAULIC STEERING
My steering is always in comfort mode. Easier to control oversteer that way.

Anyways, I got used to the steering feel, even started to think it felt good. Then I would drive my gf's 135i and instantly realized how superior the feel was in that car over my M3.

But hyd steering is gone. Electric is cheaper, more reliable, and less mechanically complicated (less parasitic drag on engine, accessories, etc).

Porsche has figured it out. BMW has made gains (reference my comment earlier on CS/GTS programming over standard Ms). It'll get there.
I hope so.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 04:55 PM   #69
maxim77
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cabrio CP

Hate those ugly gauges, when they finally put any option to change it to classic?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 06:36 PM   #70
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
I don't believe programming is going to provide the fix. For the third time now I'm contending new hardware is what is required. To me, saying new programming is going to fix the steering feel is like saying you can reprogram electronic dampers to behave like a high-end aftermarket damper... or code can make an OEM turbo perform just like a higher-end/built aftermarket turbo. The code is only controlling the hardware; and hardware is the limitation here. Do people really think the design and construction of steering box hardware can't be advanced, and now it's just software's job? That's ridiculous.

Why is the consensus it was the change to EPS that drastically altered the steering feel? Yes, going from hydraulic to EPS is a hardware change in of itself. Also explain why coding in GTS/CS specs into the steering system changes how the steering feels?

So be specific, what HARDWARE needs to change? The entire steering system? The EPS motor? The gear assembly to different ratios?

Quote:
If new programming is all that's required, why did BMW spec a different steering box in the F80 and not just use the F30 steering box?
This is a serious question? You know the F80 and F30 have different steering ratios which is a result of the gear assembly (which I'm guessing you referring to as the steering box)?
I'm speaking to a larger/broader point than gears and ratios. Perhaps I'd be more effective if I described my point as code/programming is not going to make enough of an improvement. A significant change in hardware is required for a significant improvement in steering performance.

If you're so interested in getting specific; what parameters would coding change to make a significant improvement? How would coding significantly improve feel and detail about the tires contacting the surface?

04-29-2020, 07:26 PM   #71
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I'm speaking to a larger/broader point than gears and ratios. Perhaps I'd be more effective if I described my point as code/programming is not going to make enough of an improvement. A significant change in hardware is required for a significant improvement in steering performance.

If you're so interested in getting specific; what parameters would coding change to make a significant improvement? How would coding significantly improve feel and detail about the tires contacting the surface?

I'm not a programmer, sorry guy. Even though I've done plenty of coding on my M3. There's a reason people have coding different programs for the steering system. If you want to dig into the GTS EPS code, you're more than welcome to see what changes over the stock parameters.

You're complaining about steering feel it seems. That's not going to change with a quicker or slower ratio, tie rods. Again, the consensus is the change to EPS degraded that. So outside of going back to hydraulic assist, we're stuck with EPS. You improve EPS through the programming.

So you either a.) replace EPS (ie your hardware change) or b.) continue fine tuning the EPS.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      04-29-2020, 07:26 PM   #72
Pinkoboe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 GTS 4.0

Quote:

The fact is the BMW intentionally and deliberately removed feedback from their steering systems. It is not that BMW couldn't figure out how to make EPS work like Porsche did. This interview with this 2016 BMW engineer Johann Kistler:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...steering-feel/

The bottom line is that BMW is pursuing mass markets and has abandoned its core of enthusiasts that helped build their brand. Some of the new models claim to restore steering feel, but in the end, none have recaptured what made this brand so great. The new G22 will be no exception.
Appreciate 5
      04-29-2020, 07:30 PM   #73
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkoboe View Post
Quote:

The fact is the BMW intentionally and deliberately removed feedback from their steering systems. It is not that BMW couldn't figure out how to make EPS work like Porsche did. This interview with this 2016 BMW engineer Johann Kistler:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...steering-feel/

The bottom line is that BMW is pursuing mass markets and has abandoned its core of enthusiasts that helped build their brand. Some of the new models claim to restore steering feel, but in the end, none have recaptured what made this brand so great. The new G22 will be no exception.
I'm not disagreeing with you, at all. I've even posted how the old hydraulic steering felt better than the new EPS.

But EPS is here to stay.

And what's programmed into a 5-series is different than a M. Hell, the ZCP program is different than the CS.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 07:38 PM   #74
Pinkoboe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 GTS 4.0

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with you, at all. I've even posted how the old hydraulic steering felt better than the new EPS.

But EPS is here to stay.

And what's programmed into a 5-series is different than a M. Hell, the ZCP program is different than the CS.
EPS is indeed here to stay. The issue is that Porsche, Alfa Romeo, and (FFS!) Cadillac all make their EPS systems with much better steering feel. BMW could do it too, but they intentionally choose not to.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00
clee1982797.50
      04-29-2020, 07:44 PM   #75
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
EPS is indeed here to stay. The issue is that Porsche, Alfa Romeo, and (FFS!) Cadillac all make their EPS systems with much better steering feel. BMW could do it too, but they intentionally choose not to.
Even Mazda, Honda, and some Mercedes have better EPS, like c'mon BMW. I say this a bunch, but I get that the bread and butter 330 and x3 have to be numb to the touch, but why do M cars that are literally made and targeted for the enthusiast market also numb?!?! I can't imagine many M owners are asking for numb steering!
Pinkoboe226.50
clee1982797.50
      04-29-2020, 07:54 PM   #76
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Quote:
Even Mazda, Honda, and some Mercedes have better EPS, like c'mon BMW. I say this a bunch, but I get that the bread and butter 330 and x3 have to be numb to the touch, but why do M cars that are literally made and targeted for the enthusiast market also numb?!?! I can't imagine many M owners are asking for numb steering!
this issue is something that many enthusiasts are scraching their head about. I mean if I am buying m3 zcp or cs you bet I want the car to communicate. Is that surprising?

Also, even base models with sport pkg should have better steering feel. They can make it an option.
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25083.00
Pinkoboe226.50
Germanauto9702.50
      04-29-2020, 08:26 PM   #77
oz555
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340i x-drive

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
For those questioning whether or not they changed the grills back to be smaller... we've already seen a less camo'd mule...
[img]https://bimmerpost.imgix.net/goodies...#38;crop=edges[/img]

The car is getting the big grills.
Funny to say but I want that big grill. First of all it looks mighty, secondary I want visual difference from 3 Series. Wait for the real car to be shown. It will be good.
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50
JTO245276.00
      04-29-2020, 08:34 PM   #78
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz555 View Post
Quote:
For those questioning whether or not they changed the grills back to be smaller... we've already seen a less camo'd mule...

Funny to say but I want that big grill. First of all it looks mighty, secondary I want visual difference from 3 Series. Wait for the real car to be shown. It will be good.
I was on one of the many 4 series threads the other day and my little one was looking over my shoulder and asked, "why did bmw make a grill that looks like someone's butt?"
Appreciate 1
oz555672.00
      04-29-2020, 08:59 PM   #79
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

But EPS is here to stay.

Agreed.

Having driven both a 3 and 5 series loaner, the steering in those felt horrible when compared to my M3.

So there's definitely a difference between the steering feel of M and non-M cars
Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00
      04-29-2020, 09:11 PM   #80
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
The absurd horrible grill that just keeps looking awful every time I see it would be the clincher. Seems that the new 2 coupe will have one around the size of the 2 GC and I can live with if I can still get a manual with a B58.
Pretty unlikely the new 2 coupe will have a manual, except for the M2. Unless BMW does a u-turn here and reintroduces the manual for non M-cars.
I know. Guess I'll just have to get a M2.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 09:18 PM   #81
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But EPS is here to stay.

Agreed.

Having driven both a 3 and 5 series loaner, the steering in those felt horrible when compared to my M3.

So there's definitely a difference between the steering feel of M and non-M cars
Maybe a different tuning in resistance and weighting, but every single BMW regarding feedback is sadly numb, even the great M2 included.
      04-29-2020, 09:20 PM   #82
oz555
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340i x-drive

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I was on one of the many 4 series threads the other day and my little one was looking over my shoulder and asked, "why did bmw make a grill that looks like someone's butt?"
Some butts can look awesome. Don't You agree?
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50
Fuller1216.50
      04-30-2020, 12:49 AM   #83
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

The "spiritual successor" to the 63csi?
      04-30-2020, 02:10 AM   #84
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

I didn't read thru all the pages, so maybe it's already covered somewhere.

This sounds to me the first time BMW implement 48V tech with petrol engine. And I also remember BMW commented a while ago on why they're late in 48V release and said it's because they wait and only want to use the 2nd generation 48V which is packed in the ZF gear box, instead of being belt driven and hanging on the motor, found with 1st gen 48V that Mercedes and Audi are now using.

Noticeable difference would be of course the power/torque (2nd gen 20~30hp) advantage thru higher convert efficiency. more importantly a smoother power kick in. And long term reliability.

From what this article says, 11hp doesn't really sound like the 2nd gen.

Hope someone in the know shed some light on this topic.

Thanks

Sean
Poochie9104.50
      04-30-2020, 08:00 AM   #85
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Your child is very observant.
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      04-30-2020, 08:02 AM   #86
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not a programmer, sorry guy. Even though I've done plenty of coding on my M3. There's a reason people have coding different programs for the steering system. If you want to dig into the GTS EPS code, you're more than welcome to see what changes over the stock parameters.

You're complaining about steering feel it seems. That's not going to change with a quicker or slower ratio, tie rods. Again, the consensus is the change to EPS degraded that. So outside of going back to hydraulic assist, we're stuck with EPS. You improve EPS through the programming.

So you either a.) replace EPS (ie your hardware change) or b.) continue fine tuning the EPS.
I can see where Dog Face Pony Soldier is coming from. IMO, it is how the electric assist system mechanically connects to the traditional steering rack that dampens transmitted feel and feedback. Programming can definitely make it better, but there's a limit to what programming can do.
Attached Images

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 04-30-2020 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50
      04-30-2020, 09:35 AM   #87
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Some butts can look awesome. Don't You agree?
Agreed! I'm just not used to seeing them in the front.
I don't mind the new grill design anyway. I'm not exactly enthusiastic about it, but If these cars are great to drive and check most of the boxes, the grill wouldn't be a deal breaker. From the descriptions I've read so far, the m440i sounds like it's going to be a blast. I can only imagine the m3/4 will be that much better.
Appreciate 1
oz555672.00
      04-30-2020, 09:52 AM   #88
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Quote:

This is the 'M-Sport' front fascia correct?
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0