Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

06-16-2021, 11:26 AM   #23
Chrisss_GER
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
Hopefully options won't price this thing to far above the competition. As it is, with $5499 due at signing, lease payments with tax will be about $900/month BEFORE options. Also I hope the rumors aren't true that the M50 weighs over 5000lbs. How can an i4 weigh more than a 7 series or a Tesla Plaid! Either way, with the BMW loyalists, and people not interested in having a Camry common Model 3, the i4 should sell well. Part of the weight difference is from the interior appointments and luxury that are on a whole level higher than the Tesla.
edrive40: DIN 2050kg (4519lbs) / EU 2125kg (4684lbs)
M50: DIN 2215kg (4883lbs) / EU 2290kg (5048lbs)

Source: Official BMW spec sheet

The EU weight is the DIN weight (german institute for standardization) + 68kg for the driver + 7kg luggage

Last edited by Chrisss_GER; 06-16-2021 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 05:37 PM   #24
M3ditate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ALL of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphirschwarz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
6-speed manual?
1-speed manual. Row your own gear.
Side note: Spoke with an engineer at ZF last year at CES, and he mentioned their new 2 speed trans only sees an improvement of 8-12%, which I found surprising. (Figured it would in theory close to double efficiency).
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 11:15 PM   #25
phantom701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 eDrive40

Unhappy

I have a feeling that BMW will price itself out with its infamous nickel and dime strategy.

Based on purely technical features, Tesla is winning out in:
- Sound quality. HK looks like is an extra option
- Tesla's standard autopilot will already be better than what BMW might be charging extra for
- No autonomous driving from BMW
- No Frunk. This is a safety feature in addition to extra storage. Because there's no traditional engine at the front, Tesla has built in more room for front crumble zone. BMW inexplicably put in a 'traditional'-sized electric engine?? What gives?

BMW had years to figure out how to leap frog Tesla. Instead, the i4 seems disappointing now.

Even with the $7,500 federal tax credit that BMW gets, I have a strong feeling that it will be priced much higher than Tesla.

I have waited for the i4 and I'm not sure if it's worth it anymore. Might just go with Tesla if BMW indeed is too tone deaf.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 12:06 AM   #26
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom701 View Post
I have a feeling that BMW will price itself out with its infamous nickel and dime strategy.

- Tesla's standard autopilot will already be better than what BMW might be charging extra for
- No Frunk. This is a safety feature in addition to extra storage. Because there's no traditional engine at the front, Tesla has built in more room for front crumble zone. BMW inexplicably put in a 'traditional'-sized electric engine?? What gives?

BMW had years to figure out how to leap frog Tesla. Instead, the i4 seems disappointing now.

Even with the $7,500 federal tax credit that BMW gets, I have a strong feeling that it will be priced much higher than Tesla.

I have waited for the i4 and I'm not sure if it's worth it anymore. Might just go with Tesla if BMW indeed is too tone deaf.
Even if the BMW turns out to be a disappointment, there are a variety of EVs coming from much higher quality automakers that deserve consideration before settling for the worst quality in the industry.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 02:45 AM   #27
lnaukkar
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: G30 530e, F40 118i

Quote:
Dunno about US price, but here in Finland Tesla Model 3 Performance costs ~66 000 eur (starting from: add color 1k, white seats 1k, enhanced autpilot 4k, FSD 9k) and i4 M50 i got ordered is specced to ~85 000 eur .

So it just might be higher there for you guys as well
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 09:06 AM   #28
phantom701
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Even if the BMW turns out to be a disappointment, there are a variety of EVs coming from much higher quality automakers that deserve consideration before settling for the worst quality in the industry.
True.

I know I'm harping on the frunk. But it is still bothering me on why Volvo, Audi, and others are able to come up with a new drivetrain that allowed for a frunk while BMW went backwards. This just signals to me that BMW's engineers wasn't that forward thinking.

In any case, I'll wait and see how BMW will price out their options.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4650.00
      06-17-2021, 09:20 AM   #29
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
True.

I know I'm harping on the frunk. But it is still bothering me on why Volvo, Audi, and others are able to come up with a new drivetrain that allowed for a frunk while BMW went backwards. This just signals to me that BMW's engineers wasn't that forward thinking.

In any case, I'll wait and see how BMW will price out their options.
I agree fully about the loss of the frunk. Are we certain about this? I have not seen any photography of what is under the i4 hood. Even Ford designed a frunk into the Mustang Mach E, turning out to be a very well-received EV, although I'd still wait to see the Genesis entries.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 11:35 AM   #30
phantom701
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I agree fully about the loss of the frunk. Are we certain about this? I have not seen any photography of what is under the i4 hood. Even Ford designed a frunk into the Mustang Mach E, turning out to be a very well-received EV, although I'd still wait to see the Genesis entries.
Confirmed no frunk. A massive FAIL by BMW.

https://www.********.com/threads/thi...x-edmunds.152/
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4650.00
      06-17-2021, 12:39 PM   #31
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
This.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Sportstick4650.00
      06-17-2021, 12:40 PM   #32
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
This.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 01:30 PM   #33
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
True.

The Audi Q4 etron is on a dedicated EV platform (MEB) and does not have a frunk either.

Sure, it's a bit of a disappointment, but I don't see it as a deal-breaker, really. And seeing how it's a shared platform, it's really not that surprising they did not manage to put a frunk there.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 10:14 PM   #34
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:

If that's what you're looking for in a car/EV, no one is going to criticize you for it but clearly you thought the i4 was going to be something that it never intended nor was it going to be. The i4 was never going to be a Tesla beater in things like range or autonomous driving, the i4 was BMW's temporary EV solution before they introduce a dedicated EV platform that had all the features you would typically find in a BMW and hopefully drive like one, possibly at a price point far below $100,000.

If you're looking for the Tesla's EV experience where it's range and autonomous driving, there is no EV that is going to top it. But if you're looking for a more traditional BMW experience but in an EV, the i4 is that vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 05:34 PM   #35
DES_MX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnaukkar View Post
Dunno about US price, but here in Finland Tesla Model 3 Performance costs ~66 000 eur (starting from: add color 1k, white seats 1k, enhanced autpilot 4k, FSD 9k) and i4 M50 i got ordered is specced to ~85 000 eur .

Let's not forget, on top of that BMW gives plenty of discounts on new orders, Tesla doesn't (unless you're super lucky due to some demo car or similar issue).
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 08:42 PM   #36
phantom701
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
If that's what you're looking for in a car/EV, no one is going to criticize you for it but clearly you thought the i4 was going to be something that it never intended nor was it going to be. The i4 was never going to be a Tesla beater in things like range or autonomous driving, the i4 was BMW's temporary EV solution before they introduce a dedicated EV platform that had all the features you would typically find in a BMW and hopefully drive like one, possibly at a price point far below $100,000.

If you're looking for the Tesla's EV experience where it's range and autonomous driving, there is no EV that is going to top it. But if you're looking for a more traditional BMW experience but in an EV, the i4 is that vehicle.
You are missing the point here. I'm merely saying if BMW were to nickel and dime us $20k - $30k on standard features that are way behind the competition, they will be finished.

You can be an apologizer for BMW all you want. But at the end of the day, the market decides. An overpriced uncompetitive car will not be well received.

I'm curious just how many placed a pre-order.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 09:09 PM   #37
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post

You are missing the point here. I'm merely saying if BMW were to nickel and dime us $20k - $30k on standard features that are way behind the competition, they will be finished.

You can be an apologizer for BMW all you want. But at the end of the day, the market decides. An overpriced uncompetitive car will not be well received.

I'm curious just how many placed a pre-order.
I understood your point and my response was strictly regarding to your comment about leap frogging Tesla which BMW never intended the i4 to do.

It's difficult to see what is competitive and what's not. To people who look at an EV as just range and Autonomous tech (Tesla experience) yes, the i4 and every other EV is non-competitive. For everyone else, we finally get an EV that also delivers on all the other traditional car things that isn't priced at $100,000 like the eTron GT and Taycan - that alone is worth the premium over a Tesla. Everything else is what BMW has been doing with their ICE vehicles so why would it be different with their EV offerings?

This isn't about being a fanboy or apologist, it's about putting things in proper context.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 02:37 AM   #38
BMW_Forge
Registered
Estonia
Rep
Drives: '21 G20 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnaukkar View Post

Which options did you choose? What were the prices? Been at the dealer last week, were told that pricing for Estonia will be available in september
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 02:30 PM   #39
lnaukkar
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: G30 530e, F40 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Forge View Post
Which options did you choose? What were the prices? Been at the dealer last week, were told that pricing for Estonia will be available in september
Options are pretty much covered in the opening post here. And 4-series gran coupe configurator gets you most of the way for the rest. Options and prices seem to be a 90% match between the 4-series and i4. Its just the infotainment that's all-new.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 09:56 AM   #40
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

FWIW, if interested in EV's and their tech, build, and features, I recommend spending some time watching videos by Sandy Munro. The guy pulls no punches when they tear apart cars and his expertise is (IMO) without question.

He hasn't torn into an i4 yet, but I guess he will in the future and will likely talk about the "good" and "bad" in that car. He's been into an ID4 and the Polestar. Interesting info on both. FWIW, he did think the Polestar is a worthy competitor to the Tesla Model 3.

Personally, I've written off getting an i4 for a variety of reasons.
Appreciate 1