Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Northern CA Auto Body

06-15-2021, 10:50 PM   #1
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Northern CA Auto Body

So i was driving to my hotel to get ready the New Owners track drive tomorrow and suddenly someone kicked up a some metal object and caused some serious damage and scratches on my bumper. Completely through the paint. Any good body shops in northern CA? Any ideas on how much this may run me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 09:20 AM   #2
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

I'd recommend Mike Rose Autobody in concord. They are in the middle of Auto row and work on luxury cars especially Audi since they are almost in their parking lot. They do great work. They aren't cheap but insurance should take care of most of that unless you're not going through them.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 09:22 AM   #3
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
I'd recommend Mike Rose Autobody in concord. They are in the middle of Auto row and work on luxury cars especially Audi since they are almost in their parking lot. They do great work. They aren't cheap but insurance should take care of most of that unless you're not going through them.
Trying to think of what my best bet may be. Not sure if insurance or out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:16 AM   #4
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi m-sport

Are there any BMW certified body shops around? I'd personally go that route for the piece of mind that it will be fixed to factory condition.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 07:14 PM   #5
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

We're are you in Nor Cal?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 09:39 PM   #6
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeMan View Post
We're are you in Nor Cal?
I'm located in the valley, Stockton but willing to drive a few hours for a good shop
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 09:08 AM   #7
clone1008
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTYAMSHAYIN View Post
Trying to think of what my best bet may be. Not sure if insurance or out of pocket.
I always avoid an insurance claim if possible in order to avoid reporting to places like Carfax etc.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2021, 01:08 PM   #8
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So first quote from a local body shop that a friend recommended.

$500 repair without removing bumper and just mask.

Next is what the body shop recommended was $750-$800 to remove bumper for the repaint and repair.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 04:40 PM   #9
clone1008
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So first quote from a local body shop that a friend recommended.

$500 repair without removing bumper and just mask.

Next is what the body shop recommended was $750-$800 to remove bumper for the repaint and repair.
Either one you go with in no way justifies an insurance claim and Carfax hit. I also can't see why the bumper would need to be removed for this repair. Also either way you go be VERY picky about smoothness and paint matching.

Last edited by clone1008; 06-17-2021 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 06:39 PM   #10
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I'm located in the valley, Stockton but willing to drive a few hours for a good shop
Don't ever go for the none removal method. $750 is on par with a solid bay area shop. I recommend hitting up any local BMW, MBZ, and or Porsche dealers and asking who they use. Best part is, you have alpine wiess - super easy color to paint and match.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2021, 06:42 PM   #11
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Don't ever go for the none removal method. $750 is on par with a solid bay area shop. I recommend hitting up any local BMW, MBZ, and or Porsche dealers and asking who they use. Best part is, you have alpine wiess - super easy color to paint and match.
Quote:
Quote:
Yes that's what I'm most thankful for . That's actually why I went with Alpine white instead of looking for another Mineral White. Paint matching MW was near impossible on my last car.

But good idea, think I'll contact my local dealers.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 06:52 PM   #12
clone1008
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What's you're reasoning behind this? There is absolutely nothing wrong with non removal as long a professional is doing the work. It's not like he has major damage. Incidentally white is one of the hardest colors to match.

Last edited by clone1008; 06-17-2021 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 07:28 PM   #13
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clone1008 View Post
Quote:
What's you're reasoning behind this? There is absolutely nothing wrong with non removal as long a professional is doing the work. It's not like he has major damage. Incidentally white is one of the hardest colors to match.
They spray the paint, so I can definitely understand why they recommend removing it so it doesn't end up anywhere it doesn't belong. Obviously they mask everything but still a risk.

Another body shop Just quoted me $1000, same thing to remove the bumper but these guys were talking about having to recalibrate the sensors. Sounds like they are trying to charge me for something that doesn't exist.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 10:46 PM   #14
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clone1008 View Post
Several reasons. For one, Paint adds thickness and if the bumper is not removed, the additional layer can develop unevenly and that can stand out, especially on the edges like in this situation where the damage is on the corner. In addition, painting is all in the prep work - theirs no way you can perform a proper prep with the bumper on the car. Lastly, you risk damaging surrounding components when prepping. It's an unnecessary risk with zero benefits. Unless a minor touch-up, you should always remove the affected component when painting.
Appreciate 1
bquatt218.50
      06-22-2021, 03:42 PM   #15
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So paid $800 in the end and all fixed. This is the shop my friend recommended and was by far the cheapest.

Another shop quoted me $1000 and they are the certified shop for the local Ford and Nisan apparently. I almost went with them but they had a week wait time before I could even drop off my car. Then I had a $1300 which claimed they were BMW certified but I felt I would rather wait for the other shop and get one last quote.

The final and most expensive one was $1970. That one was just ridiculous since they were trying to charge to replace parts when clearly nothing besides the paint was damaged.

Here's the results. The shop even removed the holes my dealer stupidly created for the license plate. They actually created 6 holes because they were morons…
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
pneumodoc231.50