Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Just picked up my M340i

07-11-2020, 04:35 AM   #1
aamir_m340i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Just picked up my M340i

Hi everyone - Just picked up my M340i ( Ex-Demo with 13.5k on the clock - Sep 19 model) in sapphire black metallic! Absolutely love the car and wanted to share some of my thoughts and hear what others have to say.

Styling

Absolutely love the style, sleek lines, aggressive front with the opening grill and both front / rear lights as I have the laser package.

Performance

Wow this thing moves, pushes you back in your seat a little when in sports plus and not too bad in comfort either!

Engine / Exhaust sound

I feel there is more engine than exhaust noise which could have been a little better in my opinion. Externally in sports plus with the valves open it sounds good but could be better,however in the cabin doesn’t really sound like a performance car considering it can reach 0-60 in under 4.4 seconds!

Ride Comfort

This is interesting as I was expecting it to be smooth in comfort and firm in sport plus. However the ride is pretty firm all round! I’ve come from a F30 330D with 20” M performance wheels and that was a lot smoother. Anyone else feel this way about the G20 series?

Economy

So far been hammering it in sports plus mode and have achieved around 16 mpg across the first 60 litters of Shell V Power Unleaded! Interesting to see what a normal mix of comfort / sport driving will actually deliver. Anyone got their experiences to share?

Still learning about the car, so much tech which is great but can get a little distracting!

If anyone has any experiences, tips and hidden features that are “good to knows” please let me know!

Many thanks all
Appreciate 2
73henny500.00
      07-11-2020, 11:04 AM   #2
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘72’ BMW M340d G20 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS74 View Post
Hi everyone - Just picked up my M340i

Engine / Exhaust sound

I feel there is more engine than exhaust noise which could have been a little better in my opinion. Externally in sports plus with the valves open it sounds good but could be better,however in the cabin doesn’t really sound like a performance car considering it can reach 0-60 in under 4.4 seconds!

Ride Comfort

This is interesting as I was expecting it to be smooth in comfort and firm in sport plus. However the ride is pretty firm all round! I’ve come from a F30 330D with 20” M performance wheels and that was a lot smoother. Anyone else feel this way about the G20 series?

Economy

So far been hammering it in sports plus mode and have achieved around 16 mpg across the first 60 litters of Shell V Power Unleaded! Interesting to see what a normal mix of comfort / sport driving will actually deliver. Anyone got their experiences to share?

Still learning about the car, so much tech which is great but can get a little distracting!

If anyone has any experiences, tips and hidden features that are “good to knows” please let me know!

Many thanks all

Firstly, congratulations!
What deal did you get on the car?

I bought my 330i approx 3 weeks ago and I’m already looking at the M340i now! I’m Jealous!

I hate the fake exhaust sound in the cabin, it’s awful. It’s OTT in my opinion and not needed, but hey it is what it is. I like the burbles though when revving, I don’t think my neighbours do tho

Mine is nice in comfort but strangely I don’t notice the difference like I thought I would when in sport - to the point it makes me wonder if the suspension is actually working as adaptive? I thought I would feel the difference between modes, but I honestly don’t?

16mpg, wow.... my Audi was 9mpg but I expected the M340i to be around 20mpg under heavy driving, still it’s expected I suppose for the performance you get, and xdrive.
You should average 35mpg I reckon under normal driving? Mine is around 39mpg mixed driving, mainly just cruising really.
Generally I don’t drive much, but have done more recently with getting away at weekends.

Enjoy the car, share any pics if not done so already!!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 04:23 AM   #3
Nexstar2011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i Dravit/Mocca

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS74 View Post

Engine / Exhaust sound

Ride Comfort

I think I agree on the 'sound' front, but am 2 days away from 1200 miles and an oil change before using more of the performance...will see!

Re comfort, I came from an F31 330d M Sport (without adaptive suspension) and the M340i is miles better IMHO. The 330d was bearable when on my 18" winter wheel/runflat tyre combo but not great on the 19s/runflats (though still miles better than the 130i M Sport on runflats I had prior). It's an evolution thing! ;-)
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 03:33 PM   #4
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexstar2011 View Post
I think I agree on the 'sound' front, but am 2 days away from 1200 miles and an oil change before using more of the performance...will see!

Re comfort, I came from an F31 330d M Sport (without adaptive suspension) and the M340i is miles better IMHO. The 330d was bearable when on my 18" winter wheel/runflat tyre combo but not great on the 19s/runflats (though still miles better than the 130i M Sport on runflats I had prior). It's an evolution thing! ;-)
Me too! I’m on 1074 and looking forward to seeing what she can do. Even keeping to 4,500rpm it still shifts (feels like sub 6 sec still).

I have the adaptive dampeners and I can really tell the difference between Sports Plus and Comfort. I tend to use Sport Individual with all the settings in Sports Plus except the suspension and steering in comfort.

I think my average MPG is going to end up in the high 20’s. Low 40’s are easily possible though if you just cruise at 70-75mph on the motorway.

If you have active cruise control, one thing I like is you can set two different +/- mph for when you are below or over 40mph. I have mine setup so that it does +2mph and +4mph e.g. If I am in a 30, it will default to 32mph, in a 60, it will do 64mph.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 04:53 PM   #5
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘72’ BMW M340d G20 LCI

I told my wife I was looking at the M340i.... I got a “don’t you dare” so looks like I have to keep mine 6 months again before she’ll let me change

Something to look forward too in 2021 I suppose......
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 03:29 PM   #6
Drew474
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i xdrive

Sport Plus, and hit the traction button once! Great fun, cracking car!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 01:09 AM   #7
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexstar2011 View Post
Didn't think the M340i needed an oil change at the end of the running-in period - is that something you're doing just for your own piece of mind?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 02:42 AM   #8
blaz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d,F30 330e,G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Didn't think the M340i needed an oil change at the end of the running-in period - is that something you're doing just for your own piece of mind?
I've heard it described as 'optional'. I'm planning to do it.