Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions C/D: "Our 2020 BMW M340i Rekindled an Old Flame" - 40,000-Mile Wrap-Up

05-11-2021, 01:48 PM   #1
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

C/D: "Our 2020 BMW M340i Rekindled an Old Flame" - 40,000-Mile Wrap-Up

Our 2020 BMW M340i Rekindled an Old Flame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car and Driver
Spending 40,000 miles with BMW's six-cylinder M340i largely reestablished our passion for the 3-series.

Name:  2020-bmw-m340i-wrap-108-1620745325 (1).jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  139.1 KB

40,000-Mile Wrap-Up
Ask a Car and Driver editor what vehicles they own, and you'll get answers ranging from an Aston Martin Vantage to a Geo Tracker. Ask enough of us that question, though, and you'll notice which car comes up most often: the BMW 3-series. For decades, when we committed our own money to a long-term purchase, we were repeatedly drawn to the compact Bimmer—across generations, body styles, and engines—for its consistently rewarding character.

That long love affair cooled with the arrival of the sixth-gen (F30 chassis) 3-series in 2012. We felt betrayed as the magic from prior generations slipped away with the adoption of unfeeling electric power steering, a turbo four-cylinder base engine, and a general tuning philosophy at odds with the model's sporting roots. After a 23-year run, the unthinkable happened: The 3-series failed to make the 10Best cut. Despite our disappointment, we held out hope for a reconciliation. Maybe the seventh-generation (G20) 3-series would earn a place in our hearts and homes.

When that 3-series launched for 2019, our early dalliances with it suggested that this relationship could be rekindled. BMW renewed its attention to the chassis, and we had learned an important lesson. After our long-term test of the 2012 BMW 328i, we knew not to settle for the stand*ard 2.0-liter inline-four this time around. It's a strong performer with impressive refinement, but to capture the spirit of BMW's glory days in its newest vehicles, you have to shell out for the more expensive models. So we waited a year for the debut of the M340i, with a 382-hp turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six under the hood.

"It's hard to imagine wanting the M3 after driving this car. It's that good." —Rich Ceppos, Deputy Editor, Buyer's Guide

In pursuit of the most driver-focused model, we ordered our M340i with adaptive dampers ($700) and the aptly named Cooling and High Performance Tire package ($1500), which includes an additional engine oil cooler, a more powerful cooling fan, and summer tires. All-wheel drive is available for $2000, but we passed; powering all four wheels would be sports-sedan sacrilege. Because we'd be spending 40,000 miles in the M340i, we indulged in several options that drove the bottom line from $54,995 to $67,070. Among them were all the driver-assistance and safety systems, heating for the front seats and steering wheel, remote start, a power trunklid, wireless phone charging, a Harman/Kardon stereo, and Portimao Blue paint, which is worth every penny of $550.

If you demand a do-it-yourself gearbox, you'll have to stretch further to the $70,895 M3. That's a shame because this car deserves a manual transmission—needs one, really. An engine that's this full of thrust, this quick to rev, and this polished all the way to redline is best appreciated when you're playing an active part in the perform*ance. However, among automatics, the stand*ard ZF eight-speed is superb. It shifts quickly and fluidly and intuits your intentions, making the shift paddles redundant with its excellent logic. With the cylinders' crosshatched finish still fresh, the straight-six shoved the 3827-pound M340i to 60 mph in 3.8 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 12.3 seconds at 115 mph. Note that those times mean this car keeps pace with or outruns every prior-generation base M3. And remember, this thing makes less than 400 horsepower, if you believe BMW's claims.

Of course, we didn't treasure past 3-series just because they were quick in a straight line. When the road weaves, the M340i feels at home. You might find yourself using trees as braking markers as the chassis sucks you into a faster pace. When you're exiting a corner with the inline-six on boil, the BMW seamlessly maximizes the available traction by automatically varying the lockup force in the standard electronically controlled limited-slip differential. We had hoped for more dramatic improvements with the second attempt at electric power steering in a 3-series, but there's still more information delivered through the seat of the pants than the steering wheel. "It's not that bad," wrote deputy testing director K.C. Colwell, owner of multiple 3-series, in one of the highest compliments anyone paid to the steering. Though the steering is responsive to inputs and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S rubber sticks to the skidpad at 0.96 g, there's just no feel as the tires break away.

The M340i has a softer side too. Aided by a longer wheelbase than the previous car, this 3-series maintained its composure on our nation's derelict interstates. It traversed plenty of them over 18 months, going as far east as Connecticut and as far south as Daytona Beach, plus taking three trips to the Rockies or beyond. We refueled in 27 states. Those miles on the open road certainly factored into our stellar 27-mpg average. The inline-six is an absolute ripper when you ask for it and a marvel of efficiency when you don't. In our 75-mph highway fuel-economy test, the BMW returned 33 mpg, beating the EPA estimate by 3 mpg.

Throughout its long-term evaluation, the M340i was mostly obedient, but not without flaw. During our first trip out west, the active grille shutters that contribute to the M340i's aerodynamic slipperiness became stuck in the open position, illuminating a check-engine light. When we returned to Michigan, the dealer replaced the lower shutter assembly under warranty. During our 40,000 miles, we also added four quarts of oil to the engine at the computer's direction. While needing to add oil to any modern engine might sound alarming, BMW insists that our car's consumption was normal.

"The digital gauge cluster is hard to read and offers limited adjustability. We'd prefer analog gauges, but BMW doesn't offer an alternative." - Marc Urbano

The car calls for maintenance as indicated by the oil-life monitor at roughly 10,000-mile intervals, and the cost is covered for the first three years or 36,000 miles. Our fourth stop, outside that window, included cabin and engine air filters as part of the routine service and set us back $539. During the car's final checkup, we had the dealer inspect the climate-control system, as multiple drivers had noted its inability to adequately cool the cabin. The technician discovered that a baffle within the ductwork had malfunctioned and was restricting airflow. Fixed under warranty, the system was back to blowing with polar-vortex force. The dealer also agreed to replace the bubbled trim on the steering wheel, but with the part backordered from Germany, our car was gone before that could happen.

Michigan's cratered roads damaged our landing gear a few times. We blew out three tires and tweaked one of the 19-inch wheels (the latter didn't cause a problem, so we left it). The dealer also destroyed one of the Michelins during a tire change and paid for its replacement.

For the most part, the M340i's logbook was thick with praise. A couple of staffers complained about the relatively thin, firm seat-bottom cushions. After a 1000-mile day, they'll have you reaching for Preparation H. (To be fair, not many seats leave you feeling fresh after 14 hours at the wheel.) Others griped about the digital instrument cluster, with its limited adjustability and awkward C-shaped gauges. And we could easily live without the driver-assist options. Our drivers took little issue with the adaptive cruise control, but most found the lane-keeping assist too jerky. Nearly every staffer's first move before a drive was to disable all the digital helpers. We were happy to take matters into our own hands; this is a sports sedan, after all.

Our year and a half with the M340i rejuvenated our passion for the 3-series. In times of isolation, having the M340i parked in the driveway meant a welcome escape whenever we needed it. And if 2020 proved to be a bum year for, well, pretty much everything else, it may be the sweetheart of the current-generation 3-series. For 2021, BMW saddles the M340i's inline-six with a 48-volt motor-generator that adds weight and complexity but no perform*ance gains. The 3's sleeper looks and traditional kidney grille are still more appealing than the bucktoothed maw of the 4-series and new M3, and we think it's only a matter of time before that design finds its way to the lesser 3-series models.

For decades, we turned to the 3-series because it was engaging to drive yet practical for daily use. The M340i largely reestablishes that balance, returning much of the excitement that was lost with the previous model. Give it a few years and you just might find an M340i or two among our staff's many 3-series.

Rants and Raves
"I'm in love with this BMW. It transitions from relaxed to rowdy with simple right-foot adjustments." —Eric Stafford

"The seats are fine for short stints, but as the hours tick by, your body starts to ache." —Michael Aaron

"The engine is amazingly quiet and smooth, even when starting up in single-digit temperatures." —Joey Capparella

"Definitely a 3-series I would enjoy owning. It has the right balance of livability and performance." —Michael Simari

"You can't deny the fidelity of the chassis or the body control. This car is so predictable and informative." —Eddie Alterman

"The Lexus ES–ification of the 3 has finally stagnated. Give me a stick, BMW, and we can discuss replacing one of my E90s." —K.C. Colwell

"Most cars become tiresome after logging 5500 miles in eight days. Not this one, though." —Dave VanderWerp

"Go ahead and call it a comeback. The 3-series is once again the sports-sedan benchmark." —Eric Tingwall

"BMWs used to have elegant gauges. The M340i's digital setup is difficult to read and overdesigned." —Tony Quiroga
Name:  2020-bmw-m340i-wrap-124-1620745333.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  146.2 KB

Last edited by stein_325i; 05-11-2021 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 7
      05-11-2021, 02:09 PM   #2
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Just think about it, a car that can hit 0-60 in just 3.8 secs for a RWD and yet return 33mpg is astonishing. I would tend to believe and agree with their long term review except the part "All-wheel drive is available for $2000, but we passed; powering all four wheels would be sports-sedan sacrilege." LOL.

I think this article hit multiple praise points that many around here have brought up time and again. The M340i is just a great all rounder that can be civilized when it needs to be and then a monster when you want it to be. Awesome.
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      05-11-2021, 02:48 PM   #3
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Hopefully C&D will have a long time ownership review on G20 330i RWD too.

For one, mine hit 40+mpg this past weekend cruising comfort mode@hwy speed.

It feels like Lexus, drives like BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 03:40 PM   #4
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

How old are these reviewers? I'm perfectly comfortable driving for multiple hours at a time (even 10+ hours). I guess it helps that I'm neither tall nor overweight and in my 20s, but still. I find the seats to be firm in the right way. Supportive, not soft.

The digital gauges take some time to get used to, but after "long-term" ownership, I can't imagine still finding them difficult to read. Yes, the tach goes "backwards," but other brands have fancier and busier digital dash designs... And you can get an actual number readout for your speed, so there's no real issue there.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI

Last edited by Merami fan; 05-11-2021 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 2
themnmd1687.00
      05-11-2021, 03:45 PM   #5
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Exactly. Don't know what all the fuss is about the seats nor the gauges.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      05-11-2021, 03:54 PM   #6
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merami fan View Post
How old are these reviewers? I'm perfectly comfortable driving for multiple hours at a time (even 10+ hours). I guess it helps that I'm neither tall nor overweight and in my 20s, but still. I find the seats to be firm in the right way. Supportive, not soft.

To be frank, a lot of these folks are overweight and older.

Their age and physicality read loud and clear through a variety of their published reviews.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2021, 03:58 PM   #7
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Everyone's back is different, that being said I have seen various threads about seat comfort on the G20 and G01 forums. My wife passed on an X3 (which shares the same seat) mainly because she couldn't get comfortable in the seats.

Quote:
The digital gauges take some time to get used to, but after "long-term" ownership, I can't imagine still finding them difficult to read. Yes, it goes "backwards," but other brands have fancier and busier digital dash designs...
They are s*** gauges though, pretty poor and illegible in design. I mainly keep them in "minimalist" mode or whatever its called when I'm in a new BMW. But seriously they need to add more configurations and redesign them, economy cars have better gauges. A small nitpick on an otherwise great car.
      05-11-2021, 04:00 PM   #8
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

My G20 330i base has no lumbar support, but the front seats are great so far with up to 2 hrs 1-way.

Mine does not have digital display, but the analog gauges are very cool and almost looks digital(until I saw the needles after engine is off).
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 04:19 PM   #9
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Everyone's back is different, that being said I have seen various threads about seat comfort on the G20 and G01 forums. My wife passed on an X3 (which shares the same seat) mainly because she couldn't get comfortable in the seats.

They are s*** gauges though, pretty poor and illegible in design. I mainly keep them in "minimalist" mode or whatever its called when I'm in a new BMW. But seriously they need to add more configurations and redesign them, economy cars have better gauges. A small nitpick on an otherwise great car.
The seats definitely don't feel soft at first, but I don't think they are fundamentally flawed. As you said though, everyone is different. I had a Grand Cherokee some time ago and didn't even come close to touching the bolsters on each side... Talk about being designed for the American market.

The gauges aren't great, but I don't hate them. Very lacking in customization compared to most, though, namely Audi. Also hope we see the blind spot cameras in the near future... kind of sad that they're in Kias but not cars that cost multiple times as much.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 04:29 PM   #10
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Exactly. Don't know what all the fuss is about the seats nor the gauges.
I find myself using the HUD more than the gauges anyway. You can configure most of the stuff to show up there.
Appreciate 3
EXE462097.00
Blubaron791430.50
      05-11-2021, 04:31 PM   #11
BmwDriverStockholm
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M-sport sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post

My issue is that I'm driving to a long distance with cruise control and my right foot is off the throttle, while the left foot in its normal position on the footrest. So my body is a bit twisted because my feet have different positions. I get tired after a couple of hours. But most of the cars I've driven have exactly the same problem.

As for gauges - I never look at them because I have a HUD display that shows pretty much everything I need. I think HUD is the future, gauges will not be needed. For example, there are no gauges in Tesla 3 and for many people it does not matter
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 04:33 PM   #12
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigaTony1982 View Post
I find myself using the HUD more than the gauges anyway. You can configure most of the stuff to show up there.
I was gonna say the same thing actually. I don't stare at the displays much anyway, but the HUD is definitely handy. If I'm not looking at that or the road in front of me (which is most important), I'm checking out my music playlist on the center display screen, which can also be viewed in the HUD but there's something I like about the main screen in the center. It's very bright and clear and I simply like the design.

Before I took delivery of my car and had read all the negativity about the displays, I was pleasantly surprised and happy with them.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 04:34 PM   #13
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:

The digital gauges take some time to get used to, but after "long-term" ownership, I can't imagine still finding them difficult to read. Yes, the tach goes "backwards," but other brands have fancier and busier digital dash designs... And you can get an actual number readout for your speed, so there's no real issue there.
The seats are a bit hit-or-miss IMO. It took several tries for me to setup the seat to exactly how I wanted it. The tend to hug you in place, and once you set the bolstering and lumbar correctly, it's a wonderful car seat. I have to admit, though (and this hurts), that my 2015 Mazda 3 Hatch's stock seats were more supportive and comfortable... and they were manual and cloth. You just never got tired in them. Maybe I'm viewing my old Mazda 3 Hatch through rose-tinted glasses, but that car was really good... except for the engine.

I personally LOVE the digital gauges. They give you a lot of information, but not so much that it hurts the experience. I will readily admit that I use the HUD way more than the actual dash, though. I only really use the dash display for MPG info. The HUD provides all of the info I will ever need in a drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 04:37 PM   #14
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwDriverStockholm View Post
As for gauges - I never look at them because I have a HUD display that shows pretty much everything I need. I think HUD is the future, gauges will not be needed. For example, there are no gauges in Tesla 3 and for many people it does not matter
This is exactly what I don't like about the Tesla 3. I don't want to have a single iPod looking screen in the center w/o any gauges. I still enjoy driving a car, not an appliance.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 04:52 PM   #15
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
This is exactly what I don't like about the Tesla 3. I don't want to have a single iPod looking screen in the center w/o any gauges. I still enjoy driving a car, not an appliance.
Agree with you here. Also something that pushed me away from Audi a bit. In some of their newer cars the climate controls and such are a touch screen. That's the worst. Digging through a bunch of menus and such to find something you use frequently is not user-intuitive. I prefer the big, easy buttons so I don't have to take my eyes off the road.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2021, 04:53 PM   #16
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Tesla is primarly a server rack plus server blades plus power pack, and SW(Tesla's strength) takes priority over HW(just to bolt things together).

So it is more than an appliance.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 04:57 PM   #17
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
....Also hope we see the blind spot cameras in the near future... kind of sad that they're in Kias but not cars that cost multiple times as much.
If you adjust your side mirrors properly you can virtually eliminate blind spots.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

05-11-2021, 05:16 PM   #18
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpistol View Post
The seats are a bit hit-or-miss IMO. It took several tries for me to setup the seat to exactly how I wanted it. The tend to hug you in place, and once you set the bolstering and lumbar correctly, it's a wonderful car seat. I have to admit, though (and this hurts), that my 2015 Mazda 3 Hatch's stock seats were more supportive and comfortable... and they were manual and cloth. You just never got tired in them. Maybe I'm viewing my old Mazda 3 Hatch through rose-tinted glasses, but that car was really good... except for the engine.

I personally LOVE the digital gauges. They give you a lot of information, but not so much that it hurts the experience. I will readily admit that I use the HUD way more than the actual dash, though. I only really use the dash display for MPG info. The HUD provides all of the info I will ever need in a drive.
My wife's got a 2014 Mazda3, top-trim, and I do love those seats. But I have to say I don't like my own car's any worse. I might just have gotten used to the cossetting feeling

The gauge cluster is the last item I have a problem with in the car, and it's BMW's fault for having set the standard with the finest analog cluster in the business. My dad picked up a 2016 A6 during the pandemic, and as soon as I saw the amazing analog gauges in that car I felt instantly cheated!

Agreed though that the HUD solves pretty much everything, from the tach moving left to right to keeping only speed and tach available on the HUD for a focused experience. Minimal mode would have been my go-to but it's not configurable enough.

And iDrive 8 is not likely to solve anything in the customization world, BMW seems too intent on telling us what we want. I will reserve judgement 'til I see it of course.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      05-11-2021, 05:31 PM   #19
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EndOfAnEra- View Post
My wife's got a 2014 Mazda3, top-trim, and I do love those seats. But I have to say I don't like my own car's any worse. I might just have gotten used to the cossetting feeling

The gauge cluster is the last item I have a problem with in the car, and it's BMW's fault for having set the standard with the finest analog cluster in the business. My dad picked up a 2016 A6 during the pandemic, and as soon as I saw the amazing analog gauges in that car I felt instantly cheated!

Agreed though that the HUD solves pretty much everything, from the tach moving left to right to keeping only speed and tach available on the HUD for a focused experience. Minimal mode would have been my go-to but it's not configurable enough.

And iDrive 8 is not likely to solve anything in the customization world, BMW seems too intent on telling us what we want. I will reserve judgement 'til I see it of course.
Like I said about my old Mazda 3 Hatch... rose-tinted glasses. That was the first car I ever bought myself on my own credit, and as minimal as it was, it felt special to me.

My favorite part about the HUD is BMW's seamless integration of navigation info, including displaying a map as you're approaching a turn point. I mean, you see the digital Speedometer readout, the speed limit sign, if you're in sport, you see a pseudo tach... but then you see a map of where you're driving pop up for the first time... and I was like WOAH!!! WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?!?!?!?!

What can I say, I'm amused by small things.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2021, 05:51 PM   #20
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
If you adjust your side mirrors properly you can virtually eliminate blind spots.
Virtually, but not completely. You're really just moving your blind spots. G20s come with blind spot monitoring as standard, but the cameras would be a helpful addition.

I definitely wouldn't rely on cameras instead of just looking over my shoulder. It would be nice if all new cars had the whole range of safety features as standard, though. For the bad drivers out there. In this case, it's more about other cars having features that we don't. Although BMW would probably charge for it...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 05:52 PM   #21
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Blind spot detection(with all the false positives) can easily be skipped with correct mirror setup.

However the same rear radar sensors are also used for rear cross traffic alert, which can be useful.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 06:02 PM   #22
Moonbags
Tourist
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M340xi

Reviewers of cars like to nitpick. But then, all they do is drive different cars and talk about it.

The gauges, the steering feel... so many of these opinions are based on outdated mental models of what a performance car feels like.

Drive one of these and then drive anything else and then compare price tags.

I mean I guess the baby AMG is appealing too. I guess ...
Appreciate 1