Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums USA - Northwest Look for advice on car repair estimates

04-03-2024, 01:49 AM   #1
bmw_owner123
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 430i Grand Coupe

Look for advice on car repair estimates

Bumped and bent the left fender of my 2019 430i on a pillar in the apartment parking garage. Has visited a few nearby body shops in the Bellevue/Redmond area to get estimates, and come back with some very different ones: one about 2.5K/1.5 weeks, one about 3.5K/2.5 weeks, and one about 4.5K/4 weeks.

Obviously my first hunch is to go for the first one, in particular because it is quite a bit faster, but am somewhat concerned about potential quality issue, particularly because their estimate has quite different breakdown and much fewer items than the other two (about 60% of the items).

I have no experience with bodyshop quotes before, so could someone give me some advice on whether such difference in estimate breakdown and the fewer number of items should be of concern, e.g., indicating lack of experience with internal details?

It is worth mentioning that the first body shop was doing work on some BMWs when I visited and the owner didn't hesitate to give me a tour of their workshop (which appears somewhat basic but I don't really know).

Also, in your opinion, is it worthwhile to go to insurance for a 4.5K repair considering loss of no-claim/accident discount and rise in premium?

Thanks beforehand!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 11:39 AM   #2
csctiscalia
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550ix, 2021 M340ix

Sorry to hear about that. I have limited experience with body shops, but a good one will be able to explain why each line item is included in the estimate. In my case the estimates varied based on how large an area each shop felt was needed to blend paintwork, and the associated prep to that area.

Can’t speak to the insurance side of it. Hope you can get things fixed up to your satisfaction.
Appreciate 0